The Manchester United Thread

Downsides of squad depth unfortunately. With 2 viable players for every midfield position, someone gonna get benched. Once the fixtures start ramping up, I'm sure Herrera will play lots. 8 more games just from Champions League, and then hopefully in the Mickey Mouse Cup you can land easier opponent then MK Dons...

Left wing is bigger problem, the way Young has been playing he's undroppable pretty much.

People seem to me to be over-estimating Young, sure he works real hard for the team but he isn't a game changer and I still think a lot of the time his end product is ordinary. He doesn't get many assists or goals so he's just a useful player to have but don't think he's anything special like some people seem to think. I would not say he's undroppable whatsoever, our options there whilst LVG persists with using Depay behind striker is very limited..... personally I'd much rather see Depay out-wide than where he is now.

I just don't get the point of having both Schneiderlin and Carrick in midfield consistently together, they are so similar type of player it seems better to compliment one of them with Herrera.

As Herrera conceded, he was benched because his position left the side open, when he got it right in the second half of the season he was excellent at both ends.

Should be noted that he got a bollocking off Hoek for his positioning in the Spurs game. Doesn't matter much in a 4-3-3, does matter in a 4-2-3-1 when he is in the two

I remember his interview where he said he was following the ball very much which was not something Van Gaal didn't like. Still when he played we were much better and without him we looked clueless. It all fits though, even if we lose and players looks so bad he will play as long as he does what Van Gaal asks him to. That's the type of manager he was all through his career and he won't change.

Also when our strength is in midfield it would be better playing proper 4-3-3 and dominate the midfield. Current set up 2 midfielders are deep and team looks so isolated.

People seem to me to be over-estimating Young, sure he works real hard for the team but he isn't a game changer and I still think a lot of the time his end product is ordinary. He doesn't get many assists or goals so he's just a useful player to have but don't think he's anything special like some people seem to think. I would not say he's undroppable whatsoever, our options there whilst LVG persists with using Depay behind striker is very limited..... personally I'd much rather see Depay out-wide than where he is now.

I just don't get the point of having both Schneiderlin and Carrick in midfield consistently together, they are so similar type of player it seems better to compliment one of them with Herrera.

Carrick and Schneiderlin are not similar, not even in a single way. One is intelligent passing type midfielder and other is high energy midfielder who covers lot of ground.

I remember his interview where he said he was following the ball very much which was not something Van Gaal didn't like. Still when he played we were much better and without him we looked clueless. It all fits though, even if we lose and players looks so bad he will play as long as he does what Van Gaal asks him to. That's the type of manager he was all through his career and he won't change.

Also when our strength is in midfield it would be better playing proper 4-3-3 and dominate the midfield. Current set up 2 midfielders are deep and team looks so isolated.

Haha, posted the interview a couple of posts above. Soulmates, we are! :D

People seem to me to be over-estimating Young, sure he works real hard for the team but he isn't a game changer and I still think a lot of the time his end product is ordinary.

Not everybody needs to be a game changer. You need people who put in the work so game changers can do theirs. Young keeps the entire left flank secure and adds plenty of end-product too. I can hardly imagine dropping him especially with right flank being unbalanced as long as there's Mata on it.

Not everybody needs to be a game changer. You need people who put in the work so game changers can do theirs. Young keeps the entire left flank secure and adds plenty of end-product too. I can hardly imagine dropping him especially with right flank being unbalanced as long as there's Mata on it.

Personally I would have Depay Mata Pedro. We shall see what the window brings

Why not swap Memphis with Mata for a game? I sure it's worth a try and just remember guys what Mata did as Chelsea's #10 as a 'roaming' playmaker.

Schweini, Schneidi, Herrera - Depay, Young Mata - Rooney mmm, its like idkfa.

Why not swap Memphis with Mata for a game? I sure it's worth a try and just remember guys what Mata did as Chelsea's #10 as a 'roaming' playmaker.

3 at the back?

Mata played right for Chelsea and Memphis was ***** on the right for PSV.

651b7e2b0d38eb43feeb06c378fcf6cd_normal.png
Doron Salomon @DoronSalomon U21 season gets underway for United tonight. Warren Joyce writes in his monthly column that it'll be a hard one for United with a young...

Follow

Doron Salomon @DoronSalomon

...unbalanced group and a shortage of players. He suggests that retaining the title is unlikely, "2015/16 could be a topsy-turvy season".

I'm sure you were one of the people who reckons Mata was undroppable last season as well playing in that position but could be wrong.

You're right we don't need every player to be a game-changer but in reality right now in our team who do we have? Could argue Rooney but he's not same player once was and Mata. To my mind that's really about the only game changers we have at the moment. Depay perhaps could be added but wouldn't say so yet, a lot to prove.

Carrick and Schneiderlin are not similar, not even in a single way. One is intelligent passing type midfielder and other is high energy midfielder who covers lot of ground.

They are similar but it's not worth going into... look at this way a midfield with them two in will always lack the dynamism Herrera brings. Every team needs a player like him and personally I think our midfield always looks less threatening when he's not in the team.

I'm sure you were one of the people who reckons Mata was undroppable last season as well playing in that position but could be wrong.

Last season he wasn't. Who else would you play there, Divenuzaj?

The problem with Mata on the right has been beaten to death around this forum. He makes it work offensively, but being natural CAM and a left footer, he will always drift to the middle. Now, if you had an absolute-world-class fullback, that could somewhat be beneficial. Mata's marker will follow him, leaving space on the wing. But neither Valencia nor Damian are that good at going forward. So you need Young to mantain some form of balance. With Pedro that's not an issue, he's comfortably two-footed, he'll go in the middle when its beneficial, not because that's the only thing he can do.

They are similar but it's not worth going into... look at this way a midfield with them two in will always lack the dynamism Herrera brings. Every team needs a player like him and personally I think our midfield always looks less threatening when he's not in the team.

Schneiderlin is very dynamic player but not as good passer as Herrera.

Schneiderlin is very dynamic player but not as good passer as Herrera.
I would not mind seeing against Villa

Romero
Darmian-Smalling-Blind-Shaw
Carrick-Schneiderlin
Mata-Herrera-Memphis
Rooney

I think that would work well, but LVG will never play Herrera in #10 imo.

QLcqv1be_normal.jpeg
Manchester United
@ManUtd U21s: #mufc v Leicester (A): J.Pereira; Varela, Love, Grimshaw, Borthwick-Jackson; Fosu-Mensah, Goss; Willock, Harrop, Weir; Fletcher.

Back