The Manchester United Thread

They didnt want to spend 50m euros on one, albeit amazing, season

Valencia are in europe, same qualifiers as us. If he plays in them there is no deal.

I don't know the rules exactly but read that playing in qualifiers won't make the player cup tied. Not entirely sure.

I really think signing Otamendi would be a great signing for us to complete our defence and we'd be set for fair few seasons.

Difference between championship winning team or top 4? In my view this the signing that would make us very strong contenders.

I really think signing Otamendi would be a great signing for us to complete our defence and we'd be set for fair few seasons.

put him name into google, the wiki snapshot says he plays for MCFC.. lol

2egh0rc.png

I don't know the rules exactly but read that playing in qualifiers won't make the player cup tied. Not entirely sure.

Clubs have to register their champions league squads before the qualifiers, so if a player is registered with a certain club, he's gonna be cup tied.

He would be cup tied, because even if Valencia get knocked out he would play in the europa league with them. If they got knocked out and they were not in any euro group stages then he would be free.

****! :) I dont even think we're looking for another cb this year anyway. Demichelis and Denayer are more than adequate cover for Mang/Vinny. Even in a crisis Toure/Sagna can both play there as well.

you're not looking for another player. De Bruyne and you are done

Clubs have to register their champions league squads before the qualifiers, so if a player is registered with a certain club, he's gonna be cup tied.
Not according to sky sports. Qualifiers don't count. De gea can play against brugges and then join real Madrid and play in the group stages. Dont see why it would be any different with otamendi either if qualifiers don't count

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Not according to sky sports. Qualifiers don't count. De gea can play against brugges and then join real Madrid and play in the group stages. Dont see why it would be any different with otamendi either if qualifiers don't count

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

3rd round qualifers do count?

Rule 18.07 states that if a player features in the first, second or third qualifying rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League, he can play for another club in either competition from the group stages onwards, provided his former employers do not reach the group stages themselves.

If a player is involved in any of the aforementioned qualifying rounds for a side which then goes on to play in the group stages of either UEFA competition, he is not eligible to play for another club in Europe in that season.

There is a common misconception regarding rule 18.19, which states that from the knockout stages, a player cannot be registered to play for another club if he has already played in the same competition that season, or if his previous side remain in that competition.

However, this rule does not mean that a player would be able to play in the group stages for his new club, and then find suddenly himself ineligible to play in the knockout stages.

Provided a player’s former side were eliminated prior to the group stages, and the player was then registered to play in the groups of either competition for his new club, he is free to continue playing in the knockout rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League.

Current example

Player A features for Club A in a Europa League second qualifying round tie. Player A has been linked with a possible move to Club B, who are participating in the qualifying stages of the Champions League.

If Player A is subequently sold to Club B, he would not be able to play in the qualifying rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League.

However, provided Club A do not reach the group stages of the Europa League, Player A could be registered to play for Club B in the group stage of the Champions League or Europa League, as per rule 18.07 of the regulations of the two competitions for 2011/12.

Under the same set of circumstances, Player A would also be free to play in the knockout stages of either the Champions League or Europa League, provided he had previously been registered for the group stages with Club B.

If Club A were to reach the group stages of the Europa League, Player A would not be able to play for Club B in European competition in the 2011/12 season.

Back