The Manchester United Thread

Well then play De Gea in the qualifier and problem solved.

Madrid cost Morientes a European Cup winners medal in 2005 by doing a similar thing and playing him in a totally dead last group game for 10 minutes or so at the end when they knew he was going a month or two later the winter window.

3rd round qualifers do count?

Rule 18.07 states that if a player features in the first, second or third qualifying rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League, he can play for another club in either competition from the group stages onwards, provided his former employers do not reach the group stages themselves.

If a player is involved in any of the aforementioned qualifying rounds for a side which then goes on to play in the group stages of either UEFA competition, he is not eligible to play for another club in Europe in that season.

There is a common misconception regarding rule 18.19, which states that from the knockout stages, a player cannot be registered to play for another club if he has already played in the same competition that season, or if his previous side remain in that competition.

However, this rule does not mean that a player would be able to play in the group stages for his new club, and then find suddenly himself ineligible to play in the knockout stages.

Provided a player’s former side were eliminated prior to the group stages, and the player was then registered to play in the groups of either competition for his new club, he is free to continue playing in the knockout rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League.

Current example

Player A features for Club A in a Europa League second qualifying round tie. Player A has been linked with a possible move to Club B, who are participating in the qualifying stages of the Champions League.

If Player A is subequently sold to Club B, he would not be able to play in the qualifying rounds of either the Champions League or Europa League.

However, provided Club A do not reach the group stages of the Europa League, Player A could be registered to play for Club B in the group stage of the Champions League or Europa League, as per rule 18.07 of the regulations of the two competitions for 2011/12.

Under the same set of circumstances, Player A would also be free to play in the knockout stages of either the Champions League or Europa League, provided he had previously been registered for the group stages with Club B.

If Club A were to reach the group stages of the Europa League, Player A would not be able to play for Club B in European competition in the 2011/12 season.
So basically sky sports have made an article saying de gea CAN play in the qualifier and then for real Madrid in the groups and onwards, but gloss over the technicalities? Not like sky sports to do that is it. Why do sky sports even bother with these half arsed stories? Tell the full story or **** off. They do my head in

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Saying that, them rules you posted was using 11/12 season as the example. Have the rules been revised since then or do they still stand?

Saying that, them rules you posted was using 11/12 season as the example. Have the rules been revised since then or do they still stand?

I'm trying to find it now, but the telegraph also says cup tied. someone has got it wrong

The rules have changed, you're right:

As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA ChampionsLeague and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than oneclub in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who hasbeen fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of theUEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFAChampions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the groupstage. Moreover, as from the start of the round of 16, a player can be registered inaccordance with Paragraph 44.01 to Paragraph 44.04. A substitute player who hasnot been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFAChampions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season,provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance withthe present regulations.

The rules have changed, you're right:

As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA ChampionsLeague and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than oneclub in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who hasbeen fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of theUEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFAChampions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the groupstage. Moreover, as from the start of the round of 16, a player can be registered inaccordance with Paragraph 44.01 to Paragraph 44.04. A substitute player who hasnot been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFAChampions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season,provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance withthe present regulations.

So we couldn't just sub on DDG for the last minute of our match and **** Real Madrid over? Today is a sad day.

So we couldn't just sub on DDG for the last minute of our match and **** Real Madrid over? Today is a sad day.

No, it'd also made us look really petty and probably **** half our own players as DDG is extremely popular

Its Van Gaal, he'll go 433 Depay - Rooney - Pedro.

Yeah, that's what I also expect. We all want to see Mata as CAM, but I don't think LVG rates him there very much.

Depay for that matter is only nominally a #10 during preseason, but plays like false nine/FM's shadow striker or whatever you wanna call it.

Otamendi rumors from nowhere...

Fully expect the rumour mill to run riot again the next few weeks the nearer it gets to the deadline as Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd get more desperate for those signings.

They really need to sort these windows out and not have them run over into a new season.

Last edited:
Fully expect the rumour mill to run riot again the next few weeks the nearer it gets to the deadline as Areenal, Chelsea and Utd get more desperate for those signings.

They really need to sort these windows out and not have them run over into a new season.

ESPN and Sky are now reporting Man United arent interested.. love rumour season... :)

De Gea not in the squad again for Villa game.
Hernandez is the second striker.
Januzaj is not for sale.
Rojo still need time to regain match fitness.

From Van Gaal's press conference.

Januzaj is not for sale.

****...just ****...so blind is starting again I suppose....:(

Januzaj is not for sale.

Are you sure you aren't mixing things up? Wasn't it something like this:

Rojo not in the squad again for Villa game.
De Gea is not for sale.
Januzaj still need time to regain match fitness.

:D

Last edited:
4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg
Sport Witness @Sport_Witness Man United table £17.8m Pedro offer. http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/man-united-make-17-8m-offer-to-sign-chelsea-target-agreement-reac …

Follow

Sport Witness @Sport_Witness

Mundo Deportivo say man City interest in Pedro is real and they've verbally offered €30m, but Pedro has given word to Man United.

Come on ED just pay the clause in full and be done with it :)

CvQWspML_normal.jpg
Adnan Januzaj
@adnanjanuzaj Rumours
1f602.png

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (Bayern CEO): "Louis van Gaal is very stubborn, but there is no price for Thomas Müller." [dw]

Maybe left wing position for Depay

In terms of Memphis' place in the line-up, he stated: "I prefer that position to be more a second striker than a third midfielder. I want to see Memphis in that role, of course.

"It is also, for him, maybe more difficult because he has to make the step to the Premier League, to Manchester United, a new club. Maybe I shall use him also at the left-wing position because he knows that much better."

Van Gaal discusses Memphis' role in side - Official Manchester United Website

Back