The Manchester United Thread

On the side note, the whole idea of friday matches is ******* me off. Much as I love football, losing 2 hours of my life every day throughout entire weekend is really annoying.

Yeah, next season is going to be beyond ridiculous.

They'll be over half the program on TV over 4 days most weekends. With still absolutely NO consideration to the paying/ travelling fan. Without whom there is NO spectacle worth a **** for the TV screen.

The biggest irony I love is that there still can't be a live 3 PM Saturday game amongst all the madness down to tradition and some B/S excuse it will effect other crowds. Yet the PL are quite happy to sell those rights to a multitude of foreign company's for them to screen live 3 PM Saturday games.

Tradition only goes as far as 'how much money are you paying us for the privilege?'

Darmian defending on Richards - Gfycat

Why did referees stop giving fouls for that? A serious question. I see it every ******* game. This is nothing short of a penalty.

If you see in the same gif there is also another player holding Smalling (each other), ref just can't keep eye on every player and there will be 10 penalties in all the games and it's hard to note who started it first.

What's Van Gaal's ultimate end game here with De Gea?

Is he trying to force him to demand a move to deflect attention onto the player away from the club?

I really don't get how you stand firm with Madrid all summer, then suddenly set about trying to alienate him as soon as the season starts? By all accounts De Gea himself is ready and prepared to play and has been totally baffled by his omission. To have him training with the ressi's and not even allow him to travel with the team to Villa Park .....

This isn't some no-mark malcontent in the Utd dressing room. This is Utd's player of the year the last two seasons. An International that's elevated himself into the top bracket group of 'keepers in the World IMHO. And a real popular figure in the dressing room so there's the double risk of the manager losing his players the longer he signals out the Spaniard. ****, there's already rumblings of some players not being happy the way this has gone down the last fortnight.

He deserves FAR better treatment than that to put it mildly.

I really don't understand the stance Van Gaal is taking here. And it looks completely to Utd's detriment the longer he sticks to it.

Last edited:
What's Van Gaal's ultimate end game here with De Gea?

Is he trying to force him to demand a move to deflect attention onto the player away from the club?

I really don't get how you stand firm with Madrid all summer, then suddenly set about trying to alienate him as soon as the season starts? By all accounts De Gea himself is ready and prepared to play and has been totally baffled by his omission. To have him training with the ressi's and not even allow him to travel with the team to Villa Park .....

This isn't some no-mark malcontent in the Utd dressing room. This is Utd's player of the year the last two seasons. An International that's elevated himself into the top bracket group of 'keepers in the World IMHO. And a real popular figure in the dressing room so there's the double risk of the manager losing his players the longer he signals out the Spaniard. ****, there's already rumblings of some players not being happy the way this has gone down the last fortnight.

He deserves FAR better treatment than that to put it mildly.

I really don't understand the stance Van Gaal is taking here. And it looks completely to Utd's detriment the longer he sticks to it.

Wait who says LVG is trying to alienate him, or treat him badly?

Seems you have only taken one half of this...

also as for rumblings, thats 100% not true. I know for a fact that several players were ****** of at DDG for this at the end of the season.

Most worrying thing about last night was Rooney, absolutely awful, more I rewatch the game, no first touch, constantly gave the ball away.

Relying on him to be our 20+ goal striker is a bit of a worry right now to say the least.

De Gea situation remains the same it has the whole window, Madrid have to pay a reasonable price in order for him to leave, if they don't he will stay another season.

LVG didnt decide to bench De Gea. It was Frans Hoek who asked DDG if he was ready, DDG said he wasnt overly keen. Hoek relayed this on. The coaching staff then sat down as a team, and it was then that it was decided he shouldn't play. Only after it was announced 8 days later that his head wasnt right did DDG's camp say he was ready.

Most worrying thing about last night was Rooney, absolutely awful, more I rewatch the game, no first touch, constantly gave the ball away.

Relying on him to be our 20+ goal striker is a bit of a worry right now to say the least.

De Gea situation remains the same it has the whole window, Madrid have to pay a reasonable price in order for him to leave, if they don't he will stay another season.

Precisely. People love to fall into the LVG is a monster trope, but benching DDG was not a choice he wanted to make.

He's known this since January. The issue is that his advisors though they could get him to go on the cheap this summer, contract or no contract that hasnt been happening

Last edited:

Rooney takes 5 games or to get up to speed. The issue is asking him to play 50+ games. Thats where you need the cover

LVG didnt decide to bench De Gea. It was Frans Hoek who asked DDG if he was ready, DDG said he wasnt overly keen. Hoek relayed this on. The coaching staff then sat down as a team, and it was then that it was decided he shouldn't play. Only after it was announced 8 days later that his head wasnt right did DDG's camp say he was ready.

Van Gaal doesn't as much as fart without talking to his staff first.

Wait who says LVG is trying to alienate him, or treat him badly?

Seems you have only taken one half of this...

also as for rumblings, thats 100% not true. I know for a fact that several players were ****** of at DDG for this at the end of the season.

Just going off the situation on the face of it and the multiple media reports as none of it makes much of any sense at all.

To have him training with the reserves and not allowing him to travel to games ..... I don't know how else you could spin that.

Van Gaal doesn't as much as fart without talking to his staff first.

Precisely. It's funny, he's got this dictatorial perception. But you can guarantee that when he makes a decision he has spoken to every staff member it impacts and got their input. DDG doesn't get benched unless Hoek said he should be, and more importantly (since people still think they hate each other) Giggs agrees.

Just going off the situation on the face of it and the multiple media reports as none of it makes much of any sense at all.

To have him training with the reserves and not allowing him to travel to games ..... I don't know how else you could spin that.

It's really really simple. Goalkeeping coaches asks him to play, he says hes not ready, GK coach relays this on. GK admits he's not ready. Staff agree, LVG makes decision, player benched. Bear in mind they benched him for the first game, and suddenly its only just come up. It's not a symbolic benching. Only reason the camp has piped up is because it was made public

It's really really simple. Goalkeeping coaches asks him to play, he says hes not ready, GK coach relays this on. GK admits he's not ready. Staff agree, LVG makes decision, player benched. Bear in mind they benched him for the first game, and suddenly its only just come up. It's not a symbolic benching. Only reason the camp has piped up is because it was made public

Ok. Thank you for that perspective.

But even if we take the club at face value on that, it's still a very poor way to treat the player by relegating him to not training with the first team. He can still be outside the match day squad preparations without being a distraction.

Ok. Thank you for that perspective.

But even if we take the club at face value on that, it's still a very poor way to treat the player by relegating him to not training with the first team. He can still be outside the match day squad preparations without being a distraction.

United only ever use two keepers in match day training. The two keepers going. He wouldn't have trained anyway unless he was in the 18.

That's not daily training but match day. And the multiple reports are repeats of the same story.

The problem here is that DDG's camp are saying he told Hoek he was ready. The issue is that LVG wouldnt bench DDG without Hoek suggesting that he should be. Should clarify Hoek also has a the role of assistant manager, though junior to Giggs

Well, I guess it ultimately comes down to what report and who you believe. Like everything I'd suspect there's the clubs story. De Gea's story. And the truth being somewhere in the middle.

Be very interesting to see how it plays out if he still's here after the window shuts. If his head isn't allegedly in the right place currently; to expect that to suddenly change in 2 weeks on top of dropping him completely out to the picture with the knowledge he'll be going to Madrid regardless at some point over the next 10 months is a very curious, to be polite, way of man managing things.

And a very big gamble to take.

Exactly, Hoek is much more then just goalkeeping coach, he is Van Gaal's right-hand man basically since the Ajax days. The odds that some miscommuniation between the two happened is basically zero. Far as I'm concerned, this is entriely on De Gea.

Well, I guess it ultimately comes down to what report and who you believe. Like everything I'd suspect there's the clubs story. De Gea's story. And the truth being somewhere in the middle.

Be very interesting to see how it plays out if he still's here after the window shuts. If his head isn't allegedly in the right place currently; to expect that to suddenly change in 2 weeks on top of dropping him completely out to the picture with the knowledge he'll be going to Madrid regardless at some point over the next 10 months is a very curious, to be polite, way of man managing things.

And a very big gamble to take.

Not really. when you understand the make up of your club, its relatively easy to see whats relevant and whats not. Always helps when you can get info from outside the papers too. This isnt some sudden change either. I think you missed a fair few of the earlier conferences.

He's also not been dropped out of the picture, think that's were you are getting mistaken

Not really. when you understand the make up of your club, its relatively easy to see whats relevant and whats not. Always helps when you can get info from outside the papers too. This isnt some sudden change either. I think you missed a fair few of the earlier conferences.

He's also not been dropped out of the picture, think that's were you are getting mistaken

Ok. Again, I appreciate the perspective other than what's circulating. Thank you.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out going forward.

Back