The Manchester United Thread

Hi guyz...haven't been here for a while and I didn't see the last game...

How did we play?...I heard januzaj scored...that would do his confidence a whole lot of good... I also heard mata was metronomic...really justifying his 37 million pound price tag

Utd were not great but luckily enough they didn't have to be because Villa were absolutely woeful. However its the points which matter simple as that.

Yeah that doesn't work though

Worked fine for me.

Says a lot about our current defensive options when a 21 year old would come in and be as high up as 3rd choice though.

That's positive more than anything surely, particularly having observed McNair's positive cameos last season.

Utd were not great but luckily enough they didn't have to be because Villa were absolutely woeful. However its the points which matter simple as that.

Villa were poor, granted, but that shouldn't mitigate the impressive performances the a lot of the players had all around defensively. Apart from one or two lapses in concentration, we shut them out.

I thought Villa was okay. Their desire and bravery with pressing was commendable. Its just that even if they won the ball back, Darmian, Schneiderlin and Smalldini were picking everything clean, while the passing competence of Blind, Carrick and later Schweinsteiger made it pretty hard to press high up the pitch.

The old football proverb in Poland is that you can only play as good as opponent allows you, and United didn't allow much.

Like I've said from the beginning, when everyone was questioning the defence and replacing de gea, schneiderlin will make a massive difference on last year. De gea looked put of his skin last year because of all his saves. Yes he saved them, but fact is the majority of them shots should never have happened in the first place. We had nobody to snuff those chances out before the even arrived. Carrick doesn't get stuck in. He relies on his reading of the game to intercept, not actually close down and get stuck in. Schneiderlin see's these attacks coming and closes them down straight away, both with his ability to read the game, and then also to get in the and stop it before its even happened. It's no coincidence that we have had nothing more than aimless crosses into the box that Romero mops up easily. For the past two games the teams have had literally no choice because they can't even get past the midfield never mind the defence.

Smalling has carried on where he left off. If he can stay fit he'll be one of Europe's best defenders this season. His reading of the game has improved massively and he is comfortable on the ball.

Darmian looks as though he's been playing there for years. No adjusting necessary. Takes the pressure off Smalling on that side knowing he's got a proper defender next to him.

We need a lot more going forward. We can complain about Rooney but its like LVG is more concerned about keeping our shape and stopping the opposition than breaking forward with speed and taking chances. We are far too slow on the ball. I don't see how Pedro or anyone else will improve things as long as we are playing like we are. LVG needs to cut the strings a bit and let them go. No good signing Pedro if we are still gonna play compact and worry more about stopping the opposition than scoring a goal.

It's early days but I'm far from convinced with how we are setting up. When Herrera came on against villa we looked far more dangerous going forward. I think he's the key. He gives mata the room to roam knowing Herrera will cover the right wing and they can interchange when need be. I'd play Herrera and schneiderlin/schweinsteiger against brugges and I bet we are a lot better going forward just because of Herrera's movement

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Says a lot about our current defensive options when a 21 year old would come in and be as high up as 3rd choice though.

Eh? He would be first choice at Chelsea, City and Arsenal. It says quality of the 21 year old and nothing about our defensive options. We have the deepest squad when it comes to CB options.

So, given Utd's anaemic attacking start to the season (3 shots on target the first 2 games did I read?); are you concerned for Tuesday?

Bruge is a favourable draw no question, and on paper it should be a no-contest affair over two legs. But early season qualifiers are notoriously hard and they are further along fitness and competitive games wise.

Could do with more than the final scoreline the first 2 games to take to Belgium and a packed stadium with genuine hope if that's the case or worse.

*Edit* Personally can't lose here. Utd lose, and that's a **** of a lot less money coming a competitors way. And 2 successive years out of the Champions League will start to bite hard. You win, meh, Bruge becomes another real attractive Europa trip.

Last edited:
Eh? He would be first choice at Chelsea, City and Arsenal. It says quality of the 21 year old and nothing about our defensive options. We have the deepest squad when it comes to CB options.

Arguable, would he really walk in and replace Cahill or Terry for example? Mertesacker or Koscielny? Can't see Wenger doing that.

Anyway I know he's absolute quality, that's why I kind of want him now.

We have good numbers in CB, Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Blind (apparently now), McNair, Blackett, Evans - The quantity isn't questionable, but the quality certainly is.... for a club like United. Ok Blind may have started well, but his real test is yet to come, physically he still hasn't really been tested, I expected he would be against Villa with Gustede but he really wasn't.

In an ideal world we'd bring in Otamendi/Stones to replace Blackett and Evans. Van Gaal certainly doesn't even rate them, doesn't even disclose their names when discussing our options in press conferences. Evans is stealing a living just like Anderson.

Tbh it's looking very ominous for Jones as well, this is a massive season for him in my view.

So, given Utd's anaemic attacking start to the season (3 shots on target the first 2 games did I read?); are you concerned for Tuesday?

*Edit* Personally can't lose here. Utd lose, and that's a **** of a lot less money coming a competitors way. And 2 successive years out of the Champions League will start to bite hard. You win, meh, Bruge becomes another real attractive Europa trip.

I'd say any winning result with giving them no away goals would be a great result, regardless of opposition, they are going to be really up for it and playing like their life depended on it..... one would expect.

Tbh it's fair in saying that a lot of games last season we barely had any chances and scored with the one or two we did have. It's really strange because it seems to happen a lot under LVG, having few chances but always being clinical with them.

Am I worried? Yes slightly, it's massive for us to be in CL again, we have a lot of pressure going into this - but lets not forget that they do as well, this will be their biggest game of the season.

Our performances haven't made me confident but made me realise we can effectively do a job when playing badly. So even if we play poor again it could still be enough to see off Brugge just like against Villa and Spurs, which at this stage of the season, is good enough for me. I don't care really how we do play, as long as we win.

Do we think Januzaj will start CAM again next game? Or is Herrera getting in that midfield with Schneiderlin and Carrick?

And is Young benched again for Depay on the left?

Arguable, would he really walk in and replace Cahill or Terry for example? Mertesacker or Koscielny? Can't see Wenger doing that.

Anyway I know he's absolute quality, that's why I kind of want him now.

We have good numbers in CB, Smalling, Rojo, Jones, Blind (apparently now), McNair, Blackett, Evans - The quantity isn't questionable, but the quality certainly is.... for a club like United. Ok Blind may have started well, but his real test is yet to come, physically he still hasn't really been tested, I expected he would be against Villa with Gustede but he really wasn't.

You can check Chelsea squad last year and see how many wanted Zouma to replace him. Before that they wanted David Luiz to replace him. He is not very good player. Just a good CB in excellent system.

Stones is good but the way people talk about him is as if he is prime Rio. For example he was responsible for 2 goals Watford scored, if that was Jones people would have gone ape ****. Quoting Fergie about Cows and grass not always greener thing.

FWIW, everyone here is fully expecting Stones to be gone by the end of the month. With all the talk as only two clubs making contact and showing serious interest. Chelsea officially and United unofficially.

Aguero is different class..... if City get Otamendi I'm seriously worried about them.

Think their weak point is the central/defensive midfield positions.

Marca are saying Otamendi to city for 40m and Mangala on loan.

City fans are furious.

No idea if accurate, but that is extortionate.

And you are right, it was also if Yaya Toure found focus again, so far he has.

Think their weak point is the central/defensive midfield positions.

Pretty much. Their attack is godlike, but I have serious doubt if their midfield can stay consistent throughout the season. Toure hsn't been himself for 2 years now and he's not getting younger.

Back