The Manchester United Thread

Pretty much. Their attack is godlike, but I have serious doubt if their midfield can stay consistent throughout the season. Toure hsn't been himself for 2 years now and he's not getting younger.

Hence KDB, the successor to Yaya.

Marca are saying Otamendi to city for 40m and Mangala on loan.

City fans are furious.

No idea if accurate, but that is extortionate.

And you are right, it was also if Yaya Toure found focus again, so far he has.

Yeah, seems stupid but its only really Marca reporting the loan as well, most have just the £35mil release clause.

Its a split on the loan, just seems a waste, not like Mangala is terrible. Unless the plan is to bring him back at the end of the season to replace Demichelis (last year of contract and 34), which would make some sense but still a stupid move just to bring in Otamendi, you should be adding to a squad not swapping out at this point.

Hence KDB, the successor to Yaya.

Nope. KDB is to replace Nasri/Navas. Pog was the obvious successor to Yaya, i would still expect them to blow another 50mil on a yaya successor next summer.

Last edited:
Yeah, seems stupid but its only really Marca reporting the loan as well, most have just the £35mil release clause.

Its a split on the loan, just seems a waste, not like Mangala is terrible. Unless the plan is to bring him back at the end of the season to replace Demichelis (last year of contract and 34), which would make some sense but still a stupid move just to bring in Otamendi, you should be adding to a squad not swapping out at this point.

Makes no sense. Just pay the release clause and have all three!

Makes no sense. Just pay the release clause and have all three!

Exactly. If they want a CB for the year, send Denayer he could use the experience in european football, bring him back next season to take Demicheliss's slot.

Don't know if anyone has posted this, but:

Louis van Gaal has explained why Ander Herrera did not start in Manchester United's opening Premier League wins against Tottenham and Aston Villa.

Explaining why Januzaj started behind Wayne Rooney at Villa Park on Friday, Van Gaal said: "Because he gave signals in training that he is more and more confident, but also better.

"I like a second striker in that position (behind Rooney) more than a third midfielder. That is why, for example, Herrera is not playing but is always coming on as a substitute, because he is more of a controlling midfielder there."

I'm not sure how i feel about letting Man City get Otamendi. I hope people are right when they were saying he's only had one good season and isn't something special.

I haven't seen a great deal of him over his career but know he's been at some good clubs such as Porto before. His last season wasn't just good, it was exceptionally good!

i would love to see balanta play in the prem i was absolutley gutted when chelsea signed 1 of the fm wonderkids in zouma lool i know he might not turn out as good but when ever i see an fm wonderkid get signed by a rival i really do get hacked off haha

I really hope this doesn't come to bite us at the end of the season.... no doubting if City go on to win the league and we haven't addressed that CB area this summer, it will be our own fault in all honesty. This position has not been good enough for some time. (Not being negative just realistic, CB was key area before this window). Really hope we get one before the window shuts.

I really hope this doesn't come to bite us at the end of the season.... no doubting if City go on to win the league and we haven't addressed that CB area this summer, it will be our own fault in all honesty. This position has not been good enough for some time. (Not being negative just realistic, CB was key area before this window). Really hope we get one before the window shuts.
i do get where ur coming from but we shouldnt shut mcnair out of getting into the team and this is phil jones last chance for me really hes had his chances he has to take them this season unless its an extraordinary cb its not worth us going for it with the sheer amount of centre backs we do have jones smalling rojo mcnair evans blackett unless we sell evans and buy an experienced head

I haven't seen a great deal of him over his career but know he's been at some good clubs such as Porto before. His last season wasn't just good, it was exceptionally good!

Yeah he wasn't actually good at any of them till last season.

Biggest problem is goals not defence. We are roughly were we are conceded wise for the last 4 years. we are 20 goals down though

Biggest problem is goals not defence. We are roughly were we are conceded wise for the last 4 years. we are 20 goals down though

Well that's another debate in itself in all honesty, LVG can't be happy with his striking options, we could very well do with another striker. So much pressure on Rooney to deliver, I'm not confident he will.

Last edited:
i do get where ur coming from but we shouldnt shut mcnair out of getting into the team and this is phil jones last chance for me really hes had his chances he has to take them this season unless its an extraordinary cb its not worth us going for it with the sheer amount of centre backs we do have jones smalling rojo mcnair evans blackett unless we sell evans and buy an experienced head

On one hand I can understand your point about McNair, he deserves his opportunity, but the kid's only 20. You don't want to burn him on the big stage as it could ruin him. He needs to play the odd low pressure game (which there isn't many of as this is a crucial season) in perhaps the cups is his best bet.

I just feel this season we need better quality there at CB, Smalling has come of age, Blind has looked good but it's only two games, we can't get carried away. I feel we need a good quality CB to come in who is efficient and can do a job, which means that Blackett and Evans don't even get a shout this season, in reality they shouldn't as they are not good enough.

Are you seriously still whining about the defense that barely allowed a shot on target in 180 minutes?

whzga.gif

Are you seriously still whining about the defense that barely allowed a shot on target in 180 minutes?

whzga.gif

This isn't even worth replying to, everyone and his cat knows that Blind is a makeshift CB, hasn't been truly tested yet, doesn't have the physicality for the role..... I can go on. Suddenly he's good enough for a title-winning team and against the best in Europe?

Remember this Fergie quote..... Attackers win you games, Defenders win you titles. Our defence was an issue before this season, I'm not going to be naive in thinking it's fine now just off two games we've won. An injury or two and/or Blind costing us a goal will soon bring you back to the reality of the situation as it was before the window.

Last edited:
This isn't even worth replying to, everyone and his cat knows that Blind is a makeshift CB, hasn't been truly tested yet, doesn't have the physicality for the role..... I can go on.

Remember this Fergie quote..... Attackers win you games, Defenders win you titles. Our defence was an issue before this season, I'm not going to be naive in thinking it's fine now just off two games we've won. An injury or two and/or Blind costing us a goal will soon bring you back to the reality of the situation as it was before the window.

Its not really been tested yet, Spus have 1 striker of note, and villa are well Villa. Neither have a forward line of top quality. Really shocked Untied arent in for at least a cb before the window shuts.

This isn't even worth replying to, everyone and his cat knows that Blind is a makeshift CB, hasn't been truly tested yet, doesn't have the physicality for the role..... I can go on. Suddenly he's good enough for a title-winning team and against the best in Europe?

You know we won a title conceding more than this right? Difference is that we scored 85 goals that season. Thats wahts hurting us far more. amazed no one has actually noticed this in the last 4 years

Back