The Manchester United Thread

Its not really been tested yet, Spus have 1 striker of note, and villa are well Villa. Neither have a forward line of top quality. Really shocked Untied arent in for at least a cb before the window shuts.

Almost as shocking as some people on this thread who think we don't need one. Our attacking play hasn't been much better, two shots on target in two games, can't complain at being clinical though, even if there was an element of luck with them both. |)

Almost as shocking as some people on this thread who think we don't need one. Our attacking play hasn't been much better, two shots on target in two games, can't complain at being clinical though, even if there was an element of luck with them both. |)

Again, look at the goals conceded in the last 4 seasons, then look at goals scored. One of these is the same, the other has got worse.... and its not the goals conceded

Again, look at the goals conceded in the last 4 seasons, then look at goals scored. One of these is the same, the other has got worse.... and its not the goals conceded

Dangerous way to look at things considering we haven't won anything in the last 2 seasons anyway, our defensive record may of looked good last season but it was clear we had problems. Consistency in partnerships, playing Blackett in games we didn't really want to. In truth I think could say the same for Evans and McNair, lack of better options caused that.

It worked out in the end we had the 4th best defensive record I think? Still not going to win you a title. So it can always improve with better personnel.

Dangerous way to look at things considering we haven't won anything in the last 2 seasons anyway, our defensive record may of looked good last season but it was clear we had problems. Consistency in partnerships, playing Blackett in games we didn't really want to. In truth I think could say the same for Evans and McNair, lack of better options caused that.

It worked out in the end we had the 4th best defensive record I think? Still not going to win you a title. So it can always improve with better personnel.

Not dangerous at all. It's exactly why we havent won anything in two years. We dont score enough its as simple as that .

Actually we had bigger issues scoring, but no one actually paid attention, the defence was a much better story. Blackett is the 6th choice defender, Evans is 7th and the club are trying to sell him. I have no idea why you continue to mention them. No one carries squad depth down to that level.

Not dangerous at all. It's exactly why we havent won anything in two years. We dont score enough its as simple as that .

Actually we had bigger issues scoring, but no one actually paid attention, the defence was a much better story. Blackett is the 6th choice defender, Evans is 7th and the club are trying to sell him. I have no idea why you continue to mention them. No one carries squad depth down to that level.

Our attack at the moment is just as worrying I'd agree with that, but isn't it equally worrying that we've only signed Depay in the attacking areas to solve this?

We need a striker just as much as we need a CB (perhaps more looking at the pressure and expectation on Rooney, who looks absolutely way off it). Two key positions in any team.... this is why I am seriously doubting our capability to win the PL this season.

True dat, conceeded the usual 40 (ish) but your scoring has dropped off to 60-65 in the last 2 seasons, down from the usual 80 or so.. still think the defence could use improvement but not before you get either the tempo up and forward line playing better, or a striker who can play and score at the tempo you're playing at.

Our attack at the moment is just as worrying I'd agree with that, but isn't it equally worrying that we've only signed Depay in the attacking areas to solve this?

We need a striker just as much as we need a CB (perhaps more looking at the pressure and expectation on Rooney, who looks absolutely way off it). Two key positions in any team.... this is why I am seriously doubting our capability to win the PL this season.

United goals conceded:

11/12: 33 2nd

12/13: 43 (title win)

13:14: 43 7th

14:15: 37 4th

United goals scored

11/12 89

12/13 86

13/14 64

14/15 62

Give me Pedro over a defender any day. We need someone who operated in no space. he excels at that, and creates it too. doesnt need to be a striker, but it needs to be a goal scorer, who can bring other scorers into play. We also need to move the ball faster.

True dat, conceeded the usual 40 (ish) but your scoring has dropped off to 60-65 in the last 2 seasons, down from the usual 80 or so.. still think the defence could use improvement but not before you get either the tempo up and forward line playing better, or a striker who can play and score at the tempo you're playing at.

Exactly.

Because they still played in PL games last season that cost us points? Leceister springs to mind but Blackett played in others as well. Can't remember Evans much apart from that dismal performance against MK Dons.

the most worrying thing for the past few years has been the player power rooney has i mean we are doing everything to make sure rooney gets a starting spot automatically so he dont throw a strop like when rvp displaced him under fergie it really doesnt bode well for the future as we really do need a fresh striker with that killer instinct

Give me Pedro over a defender any day. We need someone who operated in no space. he excels at that, and creates it too. doesnt need to be a striker, but it needs to be a goal scorer, who can bring other scorers into play. We also need to move the ball faster.

I know I've said this before but not sure Pedro is the total answer to our attacking problems. Sure it's nice to have someone who is clinical and can score goals. But he's the type of player that gets in the right positions, still relying on players to feed him.

Depay was meant to add goals to our team, still early days, but more than anything we need a striker I'd say. I'd take Pedro as well though.

The thing that really annoys me about this Rooney situation is that I think he needs competition or pressure to perform at his best, LVG's philosophy of captaining being a constant starter I can get in a way.... but there needs to come a point where he has to be dropped in order to show that he needs to perform better. Some have mentioned about starting Chicharito tomorrow and honestly I'm not totally against it, Rooney needs to fight for his place just as much as anyone else.

i would love to see balanta play in the prem i was absolutley gutted when chelsea signed 1 of the fm wonderkids in zouma lool i know he might not turn out as good but when ever i see an fm wonderkid get signed by a rival i really do get hacked off haha

And they've signed Kenedy too...

the most worrying thing for the past few years has been the player power rooney has i mean we are doing everything to make sure rooney gets a starting spot automatically so he dont throw a strop like when rvp displaced him under fergie it really doesnt bode well for the future as we really do need a fresh striker with that killer instinct

He didnt throw a strop when replaced by RVP. Their relationship had fallen apart, Rooney was about to be shipped out had fergie not retired.

Also we are not doing everything. LVG feels his leadership and ability is genuinely crucial, whether he is right is another thing, but its not a whim. We do need to back him up though.

I know I've said this before but not sure Pedro is the total answer to our attacking problems. Sure it's nice to have someone who is clinical and can score goals. But he's the type of player that gets in the right positions, still relying on players to feed him.

Depay was meant to add goals to our team, still early days, but more than anything we need a striker I'd say. I'd take Pedro as well though.

The thing that really annoys me about this Rooney situation is that I think he needs competition or pressure to perform at his best, LVG's philosophy of captaining being a constant starter I can get in a way.... but there needs to come a point where he has to be dropped in order to show that he needs to perform better. Some have mentioned about starting Chicharito tomorrow and honestly I'm not totally against it, Rooney needs to fight for his place just as much as anyone else.
We have loads of players for that, what we need is someone who creates and manipulates space. He does. he isnt just a wide poacher finisher. He creates runs that drags away markers, allowing others to attack. He creates with and depth. You cant show him wide because he will just ping crosses in all day, you let him inside and he will shoot or play the through pass. Rooney drops deep, Pedro attacks the space he leaves. you play a high line and you might as well give him a goal.

He didnt throw a strop when replaced by RVP. Their relationship had fallen apart, Rooney was about to be shipped out had fergie not retired.

Also we are not doing everything. LVG feels his leadership and ability is genuinely crucial, whether he is right is another thing, but its not a whim. We do need to back him up though.

The real captain looked like Basti when he came on, he played like it as well and ordering players around him.

Forgive me to say that zzeezzy but I just couldn't follow you.

What I think is that one of the cornerstones of football is passing, 'feeding' each other and we all know that there is only 2 players on this planet who don't need feeding. Cristiano Messi and Lionel Ronaldo. But unfortunately we, United, aren't in God mode and couldn't afford them. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I won't be happy with a world-class CB. What I am saying is that seeing how poor we are/were in attack tells me that we need a player like Pedro.

And if not Pedro then I have no clue who could help us in the final third.

I'd rather have an extra 15-20 goals than a defender. Put it this way, to get back to our usual GD, we would have concede just 17 goals. Not happening even if we had Ramos and Otamendi

Forgive me to say that zzeezzy but I just couldn't follow you.

What I think is that one of the cornerstones of football is passing, 'feeding' each other and we all know that there is only 2 players on this planet who don't need feeding. Cristiano Messi and Lionel Ronaldo. But unfortunately we, United, aren't in God mode and couldn't afford them. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I won't be happy with a world-class CB. What I am saying is that seeing how poor we are/were in attack tells me that we need a player like Pedro.

And if not Pedro then I have no clue who could help us in the final third.

I'd take Pedro sure, no doubting he'll add goals to our team but I'm actually not sure how much of a difference he will make..... time will tell. (If it happens, apparently according to some he's having second thoughts due to LVG's handling of Valdes, which is probably utter BS but who knows).

Last edited:
I'd rather have an extra 15-20 goals than a defender. Put it this way, to get back to our usual GD, we would have concede just 17 goals. Not happening even if we had Ramos and Otamendi

BUT..BUT..

3aefd9e234d7b3b98141e274a7b68943.jpg

Rather than a striker or a cb, id rather you start upping the tempo, have the players been told only to run without the ball? :)

Back