The Manchester United Thread

I know I've said this before but not sure Pedro is the total answer to our attacking problems. Sure it's nice to have someone who is clinical and can score goals. But he's the type of player that gets in the right positions, still relying on players to feed him.

Depay was meant to add goals to our team, still early days, but more than anything we need a striker I'd say. I'd take Pedro as well though.

The thing that really annoys me about this Rooney situation is that I think he needs competition or pressure to perform at his best, LVG's philosophy of captaining being a constant starter I can get in a way.... but there needs to come a point where he has to be dropped in order to show that he needs to perform better. Some have mentioned about starting Chicharito tomorrow and honestly I'm not totally against it, Rooney needs to fight for his place just as much as anyone else.

Pedro and Depay on the wings would be awesome. Yeah Depay was not very good against Villa but some of his runs from wide positions was fantastic and he will score many once he gets going. With Pedro we will have 2 wingers who will keep on making those runs. Now if Herrera or Mata can play behind Rooney they will play those passes.

Re Rooney, it's not lack of goals that's worrying but his overall game. He was so **** even Bebe would have been upgrade on Rooney.

With Pedro we will have 2 wingers who will keep on making those runs. Now if Herrera or Mata can play behind Rooney they will play those passes.

But it seems LVG wants his 10 more be like a shadow striker (like Jari Litmanen) than a creative player (Sneijder) on that position. Which probably means you will play Mata on the wings instead of an extra winger, like Pedro most of the times.

i think rooney should be that shadow striker and play either hernandez or wilson just infront of him rooney works best with a pacey forward who pulls the defenders out of their positions giving rooney the goal scoring opportunitys

But it seems LVG wants his 10 more be like a shadow striker (like Jari Litmanen) than a creative player (Sneijder) on that position. Which probably means you will play Mata on the wings instead of an extra winger, like Pedro most of the times.

Yeah this is one more of his experiments. He played #10 behind striker a lot in his career and tbh Mata is more final third player than like Silva. So even if he needs second striker Mata fits the bill. He is all about goals and assists rather than controlling the game.

It doesnt matter who we buy. Its they way LVG is making us play thats the problem. I said it the other day. He's too concerned with us stopping the opposition and the team as a whole keeping their shape and doing as they are told, than allowing us to get the ball and break forward with speed with plenty of support and allow the wide players and the creative players to do their thing.

When we dont have the ball, we are compact, close the ball down, force teams out wide where they cant do anything. But when we get the ball, theres no quick passing forward and breaking with speed. We keep the ball and wait for our players to get into position as if they have been told to even be in certain positions when we have the ball. The pass it forward gradually at a slow pace. All the time we are messing about waiting for players to get in the positions they are told to be in, so are the opposition. And we wonder why we arent doing anything.

We used to pretty much allow teams to attack us, get a corner, then bang. Win the ball in our own box and break at speed with 3 or 4 players. The oppostion never knew what him them. Gone from having a corner to conceding a goal in 20 seconds. Now as soon as we get the ball, we play it to a player in space then they hold the ball while everyone takes shape. Then the same **** all over again. Slow passing, people taking too long on the ball etc.

Until we sort all that out, and start attacking with a bit of speed and conviction then no amount of signings in the world will help. We have enough players already that can attack and make a difference. They just arent being allowed to play instinctively.

Van Gaal's answer about Rooney was very good. Said media for 1 year said Rooney should play as striker and after 2 games they are doubting their own opinion.

Forgive me to say that zzeezzy but I just couldn't follow you.

What I think is that one of the cornerstones of football is passing, 'feeding' each other and we all know that there is only 2 players on this planet who don't need feeding. Cristiano Messi and Lionel Ronaldo. But unfortunately we, United, aren't in God mode and couldn't afford them. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I won't be happy with a world-class CB. What I am saying is that seeing how poor we are/were in attack tells me that we need a player like Pedro.

And if not Pedro then I have no clue who could help us in the final third.

So your telling me that messi didn't need xavi for his solo dribbles?

Last edited:
So your telling me that messi didn't need xavi for his solo dribbles?

Yes. Without Xavi he has done exceptionally well last season. If anything he stepped up a level by being playmaker and goal scorer.

******* astonishing we aren't signing a CB.

Also Mendes the biggest scumbag gangster in sport.

Well that's another debate in itself in all honesty, LVG can't be happy with his striking options, we could very well do with another striker. So much pressure on Rooney to deliver, I'm not confident he will.
One more striker at least. And that would not be pedro as he s more of an inside forward.

I get where zzeezzy is coming from, but the majority of our issues are address internally. We have to pass quicker, and raise our level first. We cannot have an injury crisis like last year, doesnt matter who you buy. Then we ideally add 2 players on top of that. But they are quality icing on the cake, unlike the mid signings, who were the core needed.

I get where zzeezzy is coming from, but the majority of our issues are address internally. We have to pass quicker, and raise our level first. We cannot have an injury crisis like last year, doesnt matter who you buy. Then we ideally add 2 players on top of that. But they are quality icing on the cake, unlike the mid signings, who were the core needed.

Would of took Aldeweireld as a utility option, competent at CB moreso than Blackett/Evans and could cover at RB better than say... Valemcia. In a way like Rojo guess you could say but he covers the left side of defence.

Last edited:
Would of took Aldeweireld as a utility option, competent at CB moreso than Blackett/Evans and could cover at RB better than say... Valemcia. In a way like Rojo guess you could say but he covers the left side of defence.

he's not going to join us to cover. It's the reason he isnt playing CL footy at Atletico

Back