The Manchester United Thread

I literally has not a clue what he was doing when he... by all accounts... got himself injured watching the ball and just at the last minute, thankfully, deciding to kick it away. (Romero).

Tbh, the style you are trying to play is incredibly taxing for the goalkeeper. Look how many insanely tight passes Romero had to make with the way defenses sets up after ball goes to the goalkeeper.

Now, I know this is supposed to force opposition to either give up the press or lose their defensive shape while chasing the ball, but its a high risk style that relies on players having great skill and composure on the ball. And Romero isn't Van der Sar.

Smalling is a beast. I wouldn't trade him for any CB in the league. Hardly put a foot wrong since his red card and he has all the attributes to become fantastic CB. He has pace, physical presence and very hard to beat him one on one.

Tbh, the style you are trying to play is incredibly taxing for the goalkeeper. Look how many insanely tight passes Romero had to make with the way defenses sets up after ball goes to the goalkeeper.

Now, I know this is supposed to force opposition to either give up the press or lose their defensive shape while chasing the ball, but its a high risk style that relies on players having great skill and composure on the ball. And Romero isn't Van der Sar.

i understand that but to be fair even for the free kick what awful positional sense basic goalkeeping instincts i feel if we keep him as our number 1 there is no chance of winning the title he could even cost us a lot of points he seems off the pace of a game totally

Smalling is a beast. I wouldn't trade him for any CB in the league. Hardly put a foot wrong since his red card and he has all the attributes to become fantastic CB. He has pace, physical presence and very hard to beat him one on one.

big fan of smalling i have been impressed with him since we signed him he went of the pace abit but now really seems to be coming of age again i fully agree with you on that

And the takeaway from the last three games has been that Romero is shaky enough to force into a mistake. Predominantly because he is very average on the ball, perhaps some nerves, but enough back-passes can cause a cataclysmic error.

Even if it wasn't Romero, and De Gea instead, is this really ideal? Teams will watch this and repeatedly keep pressing high and maybe ****** a goal.

High pressing is actually very difficult. Because it leaves you exposed on the counter. United should have had 6 or 7 on the counter tonight alone

Telegraph running the Chelsea/ Pedro hijacking.

Independent saying he's given Utd a 72 hour deadline.

The plot thickens .....

High pressing is actually very difficult. Because it leaves you exposed on the counter. United should have had 6 or 7 on the counter tonight alone

All true, but the same goes for pushing your players to play in a system they're not suited for. It worked for Van Gaal in Ajax where he had VDS, it worked with Barca where he had Valdes, but with Romeror even De Gea its a huge gamble. Probably also a reason why he was chasing a counter-attacking player the whole summer.

Right now I would say you're not nearly enough of a counterattacking threat to justify playing like this.

Just read that Madrid are offering De Gea an incentive to see out his contract for a 12million signing on fee, Is this allowed ? because technically they shouldn't be speaking to the player without permission ?

All true, but the same goes for pushing your players to play in a system they're not suited for. It worked for Van Gaal in Ajax where he had VDS, it worked with Barca where he had Valdes, but with Romeror even De Gea its a huge gamble. Probably also a reason why he was chasing a counter-attacking player the whole summer.

Right now I would say you're not nearly enough of a counterattacking threat to justify playing like this.

Explains why he wants Pedro. The answers are the though, move Mata central, and have Pedro wide.

Just read that Madrid are offering De Gea an incentive to see out his contract for a 12million signing on fee, Is this allowed ? because technically they shouldn't be speaking to the player without permission ?

yeah ive seen that story madrid are really pushing stuff via marca instead of via direct channels so technically they cant be done for poaching to push us into a sale vile club

yeah ive seen that story madrid are really pushing stuff via marca instead of via direct channels so technically they cant be done for poaching to push us into a sale vile club

Irritating how United are becoming a feeder club to them, I understand their rich history but they're a similar level of club. Understand why De Gea wants to leave but surely he owes United alot more than just buggering off after seeing the transformation in his career from when he first joined until now! He is easily a 20+ signing and if he goes on a free contract then he has no respect what soever.

Irritating how United are becoming a feeder club to them, I understand their rich history but they're a similar level of club. Understand why De Gea wants to leave but surely he owes United alot more than just buggering off after seeing the transformation in his career from when he first joined until now! He is easily a 20+ signing and if he goes on a free contract then he has no respect what soever.
It has nothing to do with club stature. It's about living in his home country, where his girlfriend can live in Madrid. United are easily the biggest club in the world.

i am not happy with what de gea has done but calling us a feeder club for real sorry no lol we never have been a feeder club to them the only player we sold them that we didnt want to sell was ronaldo and even then it was on our terms not theirs

i am not happy with what de gea has done but calling us a feeder club for real sorry no lol we never have been a feeder club to them the only player we sold them that we didnt want to sell was ronaldo and even then it was on our terms not theirs
Ronaldo wasn't even pushing to leave. United received a world record fee and showed him loyalty for his years of service for United by giving him the move he's dreamed of as a kid. Lots of players also dream of playing for United, so it isn't a case of club stature.

Lets be honest here , it'd be stupid for De Gea not to go there.

He gets to play at home, make more money, play for a better club, and make his girlfriend happy. Not to mention he'll probably land starting spot in Spanish NT. Its a dream move for him, and the goalkeeper spots in Spanish big two aren't open that often.

I must say, Van gaal has improved massively with his substitutions so far...all his subs have been on point and needed...

He gets to play at home, make more money, play for a better club, and make his girlfriend happy. Not to mention he'll probably land starting spot in Spanish NT. Its a dream move for him, and the goalkeeper spots in Spanish big two aren't open that often.

him leaving isnt an issue for me but running your contract down is a vile thing to do especially with how we as a club stuck by him in extremely hard times when he was getting hammered by press every week

I agree with all, except the claim that he'll be earning more. United's revenue is a cut above Madrid, who are in 500 million of debt. United would easily pay 200k+.

Back