The Manchester United Thread

Aleksandr Kokorin's agent say we are interested in him. Surely not?

He said Spurs and United. So probably a case of throwing United's name in there to push Spurs for the transfer like agents normally do with us. Cant see anything coming of it.

so your telling me no chelsea youth players deserve a chance in the first team john terry being the last player through the ranks to break through... when mourinho signed for chelsea his job as he stated was to bring the next generation through as in specifically youth i dont see that hapening anytime soon im not talking about de bruyne im talking about players like nathan ake/ruben loftus cheek and others

I'm not telling you anything of the sort.

I'm saying there's been nobody the last 10 years at least I can think of that Chelsea haven't been proven right in releasing that's gone on to much of anything in the game.

If one of Chelsea's youngsters really stands out, like Terry, they'll play. Lotus Cheek got a few games the end of last season but he's a long way short of this level for me at present. A loan would do him good.

You can't just put kids in for the sake of playing youth. Van Gaal wouldn't of played what he did last year if it wasn't through desperation. And only McNair and the Brazilian look like they're good enough to stick.

I'm not telling you anything of the sort.

I'm saying there's been nobody the last 10 years at least I can think of that Chelsea haven't been proven right in releasing that's gone on to much of anything in the game.

If one of Chelsea's youngsters really stands out, like Terry, they'll play. Lotus Cheek got a few games the end of last season but he's a long way short of this level for me at present. A loan would do him good.

You can't just put kids in for the sake of playing youth. Van Gaal wouldn't of played what he did last year if it wasn't through desperation. And only McNair and the Brazilian look like they're good enough to stick.

You are very much wrong about Van Gaal.

You are very much wrong about Van Gaal.

So is this common assertion that he gives youth a chance.

Referencing Ajax is misleading as that's a staple for any coach managing in the Netherlands by the mere nature of a selling league.

so your telling me no chelsea youth players deserve a chance in the first team john terry being the last player through the ranks to break through... when mourinho signed for chelsea his job as he stated was to bring the next generation through as in specifically youth i dont see that hapening anytime soon im not talking about de bruyne im talking about players like nathan ake/ruben loftus cheek and others

Who was the last Man United youth product in the current squad to break through and play first team games that long? Evans?

So is this common assertion that he gives youth a chance.

Referencing Ajax is misleading as that's a staple for any coach managing in the Netherlands by the mere nature of a selling league.

Then what about all the young players who got chance in Barca and Bayern?

As others have said.
I think our business is done and dusted, and as fans we should prepare for the season ahead with the current squad.

I'd personally like a striker and CB, but even if it's Blind and Smalling for the season, I'll still get behind them and trust the manager.

Edit: So many 'would of', 'should of' and 'could of's over the last page.
My stomach is churning.

Sadly yes, think we're still lacking in some key areas as you've already mentioned and a level below Chelsea/City still. So I can't see us winning the title unless we improve on at least one of these areas before the window shuts.

I'm all for Smalling and Blind so far, but reality is, the opposition attacking wise have been nothing to shout about. On paper or what they've actually offered. Can't see Newcastle offering much either on Saturday.

City nearing De Bruyne deal supposedly.

Woodward must of thought after the signings we had made that he'd be the talk of the summer. He has been overshadowed.

I actually thought the deal was off when de bryune said he wouldn't leave

Who was the last Man United youth product in the current squad to break through and play first team games that long? Evans?

rafael was a key cog in fergusons plans as a 16 year old future sucessor to gary neville

james wilson/adnan januzaj are breaking through

rafael was a key cog in fergusons plans as a 16 year old future sucessor to gary neville

Wilson is a prime example. He may prove me wrong (he is only 19 after all and still very inexperienced), but I just don't see the natural striker instinct in him to cut it at the highest level. He may well have a decent career lower down, or for a lesser PL club. But I doubt he'll be any real success at Utd.

As you stand, if Rooney goes down, who looks a pale shadow of the player he did a few years back; your striker options look disastrous.

and only Wilson is a product of your academy in that lot. Adnan and Rafael were both bought at 16/17.

Yes. Without even doing a google search, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Valdes, Muller, Alaba, Badstuber.

And there are players like Kraft, Contento.

These are just from his Barca and Bayern days and without even counting Ajax players.

and only Wilson is a product of your academy in that lot. Adnan and Rafael were both bought at 16/17.

regardless of wether they was bought they are still homegrown players and began their process of coming through the youth system atleast we have brought people the amount of youth chelsea have signed over a 10 year period some of them very highly rated its disgusting the fact none of them have had a look in instead 25+ year olds have been bought deeming them all suprlus to requirements chelseas youth policy is a virus upon world football and you cannot defend it

Yes. Without even doing a google search, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Valdes, Muller, Alaba, Badstuber.

And there are players like Kraft, Contento.

These are just from his Barca and Bayern days and without even counting Ajax players.

You're taking a LOT of liberties there.

Hang fire.

Depends on whom you call as academy players and what criteria is used.

Januzaj joined our academy and progressed. For example, people call Pique, Pedro as Barca products when they were signed when they were 17 years old.

You're taking a LOT of liberties there.

Hang fire.

What liberties? Next you want me to post the quotes of the above mentioned players? When you don't have points to make it's better to shut up than giving smart **** answers without actually responding to the point made.

To add to the point, Terry also signed when he was 15. So 15, 16 all same.

14, but i get your point. Its just a fall down of the press to take it from really 16, when most youth players are actually signed and started at around 10.

14, but i get your point. Its just a fall down of the press to take it from really 16, when most youth players are actually signed and started at around 10.

Yeah, if you count pure academy players then at big club there are very few. Most big clubs sign players at 15 or 16 and develop them.

Back