The Manchester United Thread

It's not about changing the youth academy. It's about giving young players chances and not afraid to throw them to the first team.

I wasn't saying he needed to change the academy, but at this point he has only given players a start out of necessity rather than faith. Yes, he gave McNair 16 apps last season, and Blackett 5, but due to injury and unbalanced squad. As soon as he got the first transfer window they didn't play again. Handing out random debuts to players that are never seen again much isn't really a judgement on 'he has a great record with the kids' he doesn't yet. No other player other than them 2, started a game, Wilson (2). I fail to see where this get him all the praise.

There time will come but you cant really base the record on what he's given so far. A lack of other options isn't having faith in giving them the chance. He sold more youth players than he started (Welbeck, Zaha, Henrique, Lawrence, Janko, Vermiji, Keane, Thorpe, Amos, James) - all gone under LVG.

Its unfair of me to even say hes not willing to give them a chance, he's still building the first XI (see other post on this) he's prob not even looking at building his second XI yet. Maybe he will.

There time will come but you cant really base the record on what he's given so far. A lack of other options isn't having faith in giving them the chance. He sold more youth players than he started (Welbeck, Zaha, Henrique, Lawrence, Janko, Vermiji, Keane, Thorpe, Amos, James) - all gone under LVG.

LVG's done a great job of clearing all the deadwood though and honestly, apart from maybe Welbeck and perhaps Henriquez, none of them are ever going to be good enough.

LVG's done a great job of clearing all the deadwood though and honestly, apart from maybe Welbeck and perhaps Henriquez, none of them are ever going to be good enough.

but he let them have a chance right?

but he let them have a chance right?

You don't have to give every single player a game in order to find out they are not good enough. He no doubt asked Giggs and analysed some of the players before he came. Or failing that, just known straight away when he came in? Virtually everyone knows a lot of players that were stagnated in the Fergie era wasn't ever going to be good enough.

Put it this way, from all of them you've mentioned, we won't regret getting rid of any apart from Welbeck/Hernriquez. (Even that's arguable, Welbeck still doesn't score goals for Arsenal anywhere near enough ).

Henriquez had a fee agreed in the loan so his hands were tied there a bit. Even if the Croatian league isn't great and Dynamo are way better he still looked good

[h=1]Man Utd transfer news: United to make formal bid in excess of £20m for Southampton's Sadio Mané[/h][h=2]United will improve on their opening bid to test Southampton's resolve over Senegal international[/h]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11815421/Man-Utd-transfer-news-United-to-make-formal-bid-in-excess-of-20m-for-Southamptons-Sadio-Mane.html

Not against Mane and actually think he can become a real good player, only 23 so can improve a lot, even though he had a very impressive first season in Premier League.

But you just have to question why we are bidding for a player like him this late in the window, only one answer, because he wasn't a prime target. I'd take him though, think he'd do well for us. He'll offer some much needed pace and creativity, good alternative option to have.

Not against Mane and actually think he can become a real good player, only 23 so can improve a lot, even though he had a very impressive first season in Premier League.

But you just have to question why we are bidding for a player like him this late in the window, only one answer, because he wasn't a prime target. I'd take him though, think he'd do well for us. He'll offer some much needed pace and creativity, good alternative option to have.

i think he could be a good buy wouldnt mind an obscure signing either not seen one at old trafford since fergies departure

i think he could be a good buy wouldnt mind an obscure signing either not seen one at old trafford since fergies departure

In many ways I prefer the lesser names, they don't have as much pressure and we don't expect as much. Just take Darmian as an example.

In many ways I prefer the lesser names, they don't have as much pressure and we don't expect as much. Just take Darmian as an example.

i gotta say took me a bit of time to get used to him because of how much i loved rafael at united but he looks brilliant very evra like in the way he bombs forward at ease

Pedro's reputation and calibre is unquestionable, but I think because people are ****** off because we missed out on him are too quick to write Mane off just because he isn't that 'big name'.

There is no guarantee that Pedro will be a success in Premier League until he's actually delivered, at least with Mane you know he can cope with it. Clutching at straws a bit, but really, if LVG thinks Mane is good enough and you go off last season, he was the better player.

pedro is class chelsea have got a very good player in him but u never know with potential we have in depay/perriera/januzaj they could set the world alight and be the one's to carry the torch for man utd over the next 15 years or they could be the bebe djemba djembas complete 50/50 move from us but who knows what the future holds

Mane's played tonight. I forget if that cup-ties him or not?

Can you still play in one competition and play in another? Never know where you are with the dicks at UEFA.

Also one more factor, the bigger names we've signed haven't worked in recent history, just take a look at Falcao and Di Maria. Our better signings have been the ones more under the radar.

One more thing I have to say on the whole Mane/Pedro fiasco is that LVG only allows certain exceptions when signing a player over a certain age, what that age is I can't quite remember. But with Mane you've got someone who's still only 23 and may step up a few levels at bigger club. Lets be honest that Southampton team he was in last season did very well, but if he can do that with the players they have, imagine what he could do with better players around him.

I'm not against Mane, I think he'd be the type of player who would work very hard and really play for the shirt. Pedro I would of liked as well, but going off recent times, the bigger names haven't done well at United, could be blessing in disguise.

Mane's played tonight. I forget if that cup-ties him or not?

Can you still play in one competition and play in another? Never know where you are with the dicks at UEFA.

Haven't got a clue, good point. Can't see it happening if he's cup-tied.

I'm still thinking Mane is a smoke-screen or just a face-saver for Pedro situation anyway tbh. Don't see much chance of it happening.

Also one more factor, the bigger names we've signed haven't worked in recent history, just take a look at Falcao and Di Maria. Our better signings have been the ones more under the radar.

One more thing I have to say on the whole Mane/Pedro fiasco is that LVG only allows certain exceptions when signing a player over a certain age, what that age is I can't quite remember. But with Mane you've got someone who's still only 23 and may step up a few levels at bigger club. Lets be honest that Southampton team he was in last season did very well, but if he can do that with the players they have, imagine what he could do with better players around him.

I'm not against Mane, I think he'd be the type of player who would work very hard and really play for the shirt. Pedro I would of liked as well, but going off recent times, the bigger names haven't done well at United, could be blessing in disguise.

very true some of our best players ever have been bargain signings infact half our history is made up of bargain buys becoming world beaters

Darmian was a lesser name only to English football fans.

He s been consistently good for 3 seasons and a fixture in the Italian national team.

Back