The Manchester United Thread

Darmian was a lesser name only to English football fans.

He s been consistently good for 3 seasons and a fixture in the Italian national team.

Yes, but most English United fans didn't have a scooby-doo. Despite him being Italy's RB/RWB. Oddly.

Still not a stellar name shall we say, came in under the radar with not much pressure and small transfer fee.

Yes, but most English United fans didn't have a scooby-doo. Despite him being Italy's RB/RWB. Oddly.

Still not a stellar name shall we say, came in under the radar with not much pressure and small transfer fee.

i really hope james wilson shows his worth ive been watching him in youth matches for a few years now been really impressed with his displays if he can put them kind of perfomances in the 1st team we could have a mouth watering attack choice hernandez also is being very under rated this season people seem to have pushed him under the radar as not good enough

very true some of our best players ever have been bargain signings infact half our history is made up of bargain buys becoming world beaters

... Hardly. From what I remember the majority of United's best players have all cost "big" money. Obviously excluding the class of '92.

lol how u feeling about when sturridge returns from injury if your playing with 1 striker who would u prefer as ur number 1 choice benteke or sturridge

Sturridge. When fit, there's no question in my mind he's by far and away the best English forward there is. Technically, he's been greatly blessed. His first touch is fantastic and he's gotten better each season he's been here. It's just his health that is the problem. If he comes back and breaks down again, then I'd be looking at moving on next summer. If you can't rely on him, he's not much use at all.

But I'd hope, IF Benteke does well in the interim, when Daniel's back Rodgers would play both. Sturridge playing off the big man could be a devastating partnership.

But this is Rodgers so I'm not banking on that.

... Hardly. From what I remember the majority of United's best players have all cost "big" money. Obviously excluding the class of '92.

roy keane/ole gunnar solskjaer/javier hernandez/dennis irwin/evra/vidic/ji sung park/eric cantona from the top of my head plenty more others tho im sure of it were real bargains

Sturridge. When fit, there's no question in my mind he's by far and away the best English forward there is. Technically, he's been greatly blessed. His first touch is fantastic and he's gotten better each season he's been here. It's just his health that is the problem. If he comes back and breaks down again, then I'd be looking at moving on next summer. If you can't rely on him, he's not much use at all.

But I'd hope, IF Benteke does well in the interim, when Daniel's back Rodgers would play both. Sturridge playing off the big man could be a devastating partnership.

But this is Rodgers so I'm not banking on that.

the thing is with the way rodgers sets out his teams target man just do not suit it u need players all around the pitch with speed craft technique its why balotelli flopped so majorly in ur team as well as his attitude

roy keane/ole gunnar solskjaer/javier hernandez/dennis irwin/evra/vidic/ji sung park/eric cantona from the top of my head plenty more others tho im sure of it were real bargains

One of those players would be in my all time Premiership XI.

Another, maybe two, would be a toss up.

Admittedly you've had your fair share of "bargains" but equally you've always spent money too. Van Nistelrooy £19m, Ferdinand £30m, Rooney £27m, Carrick £18m.

Admittedly you've had your fair share of "bargains" but equally you've always spent money too. Van Nistelrooy £19m, Ferdinand £30m, Rooney £27m, Carrick £18m.

they was worth every penny in hindsight tho think of how many trophies they have had between them van nistelrooy was 1 of the best finishers i have ever seen i am lucky enough to have a signed shirt of his 1 of my favourite strikers of all time :D

the thing is with the way rodgers sets out his teams target man just do not suit it u need players all around the pitch with speed craft technique its why balotelli flopped so majorly in ur team as well as his attitude

Mario has 'flopped', in the main, down to the way he's been played. Which in turn is down to the manager not signing/ wanting him.

Only a complete moron would think you could play Balotelli as a lone striker with absolutely zero support within 10/15 yards of him. It never has been his game and it never will be. He needs to play off someone and just do his thing. Which ironically Benteke would be the perfect foil now but Mario's SO far out of the picture it's beyond ridiculous that he's still here. I can criticise Mario for his attitude in some games. But in a lot of others he's worked hard up there. But he's not been helped one iota by the manager.

The Rodgers special 4-2-3-1 is a joke in itself. We gave Benteke more support Monday. But opening day at Stoke Benteke was so isolated he could of been Balotelli. Our version of 4-2-3-1 is 4-2-3-------------1. Need to get back to a 4-3-3, or 4-4-2 diamond.

I feel for Balo. Yeah, he could of done more. But it's not hard for a manager to make a player look terrible and Rodgers has hung him out to dry most every game he's played him.

No coincidence in the few games he's played together with Sturridge, we have a winning record in which they've both scored and assisted.

But this is the wrong thread for this discussion.

Darmian was a lesser name only to English football fans.

He s been consistently good for 3 seasons and a fixture in the Italian national team.
Can you imagine the scenes if we bought vidic and evra now?!

Haven't got a clue, good point. Can't see it happening if he's cup-tied.

I'm still thinking Mane is a smoke-screen or just a face-saver for Pedro situation anyway tbh. Don't see much chance of it happening.
Face saving as a motive doesn't work if you move for the player a week before your other target goes somewhere else....

genuinely interested to have seen your reaction had united not released anything.....

seriously evra has to be up there as 1 of my most loved man utd legends played with pure passion and loved the club hardly anyone left that has a passion for a club like him

Imagine signing players like Great Dane, Solskjaer, Stam, RVN, Ronaldo, Irwin now. All from lower teams and smaller leagues.

Also imagine missing out on players like Shearer, Batigol, Zidane, Silva, Hazard, Robben, Essien today? Internet trolls would have killed internet and some ManUtd fans would have committed suicide.

I wasn't saying he needed to change the academy, but at this point he has only given players a start out of necessity rather than faith. Yes, he gave McNair 16 apps last season, and Blackett 5, but due to injury and unbalanced squad. As soon as he got the first transfer window they didn't play again. Handing out random debuts to players that are never seen again much isn't really a judgement on 'he has a great record with the kids' he doesn't yet. No other player other than them 2, started a game, Wilson (2). I fail to see where this get him all the praise.

There time will come but you cant really base the record on what he's given so far. A lack of other options isn't having faith in giving them the chance. He sold more youth players than he started (Welbeck, Zaha, Henrique, Lawrence, Janko, Vermiji, Keane, Thorpe, Amos, James) - all gone under LVG.

Its unfair of me to even say hes not willing to give them a chance, he's still building the first XI (see other post on this) he's prob not even looking at building his second XI yet. Maybe he will.

Then you have very different idea of what promoting youth is. It's not playing 38 league games.

Mcnair out of nowhere played 15 games so was Blackett. Also last season ManUtd barely played any cup games, so number of games played so was less and we had a huge squad.

Like I said, you guys gives excuses whenever he gives youth a chance like it was injury problems and all that, I will say whenever there is similar crisis more managers will play senior players out of position to fill the gap.

Re the youth player sold, every year players gets released from the club who don't have future. It's also not about playing all the kids in the academy. Cream of the crop will get chances.

Also re McNair, CB who played most games for United last season was Jones. 22 games. McNair played in 16 games. Not sure how that's not giving chances.
Blackett played in 11 games. Wilson in 13 games, Januzaj 18 games, and Lingard would have played more but he was injured and was back mid season.

Not sure how that's not giving chances to young players when ManUtd played only 44 games last season in all competitions.

Back