The Manchester United Thread

Potential XI vs Newcastle: Schweinsteiger starts over Carrick & LvG to choose between Blind & Rojo

Potential Manchester United XI vs Newcastle United

Thoughts on the line-up?

I was expecting the same line up. It's about time Schweinsteiger starts for us. He looks more than ready.

Man Utd transfer news: United to make formal bid in excess of £20m for Southampton's Sadio Mané

United will improve on their opening bid to test Southampton's resolve over Senegal international

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11815421/Man-Utd-transfer-news-United-to-make-formal-bid-in-excess-of-20m-for-Southamptons-Sadio-Mane.html

Koeman said the interest is just fabricated by United. Might be true but I don't get the point of it. If we don't sign then media will again go on and on about failed transfer.

Face saving as a motive doesn't work if you move for the player a week before your other target goes somewhere else....

genuinely interested to have seen your reaction had united not released anything.....

If it's not face-saving then why was it briefed on the same day as Pedro? Tad bit of a coincidence.

Potential XI vs Newcastle: Schweinsteiger starts over Carrick & LvG to choose between Blind & Rojo

Potential Manchester United XI vs Newcastle United

Thoughts on the line-up?

Personally, I would love to see Schweini replacing Carrick in the mid of the park plus don't forget guys Fellaini's impact on the Brugge game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting to be honest, replacing Januzaj.

My LU:

Romero | Darmian - Smalling - Blind - Shaw | Schweini - Schneiderlin - Fellaini | Depay - Mata - Rooney

Subs:

Johnstone - Valencia - Rojo - Pereira - Januzaj - Hernandez - Young

Personally, I would love to see Schweini replacing Carrick in the mid of the park plus don't forget guys Fellaini's impact on the Brugge game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting to be honest, replacing Januzaj.

My LU:

Romero | Darmian - Smalling - Blind - Shaw | Schweini - Schneiderlin - Fellaini | Depay - Mata - Rooney

Subs:

Johnstone - Valencia - Rojo - Pereira - Januzaj - Hernandez - Young

Fellaini is suspended.

roy keane/ole gunnar solskjaer/javier hernandez/dennis irwin/evra/vidic/ji sung park/eric cantona from the top of my head plenty more others tho im sure of it were real bargains

Check your facts. Keane was one of the most expensive transfers ever done by a british club at the time, and Cantona wasn't that far off either.

They may seem like bargains now, but that's just current market going crazy.

Imagine signing players like Great Dane, Solskjaer, Stam, RVN, Ronaldo, Irwin now. All from lower teams and smaller leagues.

Stam and RVN? Seriously? What is small league now, wasn't necessarily small in the 90s. Back then Dutch league was a lot bigger deal , top clubs had endless supply of world class talent, and everybody knew it. Stam was the most expensive defender transfer in history of football for a while.

As usual, any debate about Ferguson's transfer dealings is filled with much delusion about how the old git kept finding amazing deals in remote areas of Antarctica and buying them for box of nails.

Stam and RVN? Seriously? What is small league now, wasn't necessarily small in the 90s. Back then Dutch league was a lot bigger deal , top clubs had endless supply of world class talent, and everybody knew it. Stam was the most expensive defender transfer in history of football for a while.

As usual, any debate about Ferguson's transfer dealings is filled with much delusion about how the old git kept finding amazing deals in remote areas of Antarctica and buying them for box of nails.

As usual you miss the point by mile.

Imagine if we buy a 25 year old striker for 20 Million pounds and buying a 26 27 year Old CB from Dutch league who as a 26 year old didn't even play 150 league games in Dutch league? Place would go bonkers.

And re last line, you call yourself a United fan (yeah I know you just choose) and can't even respect the man who brought so much trophies for the club. Trying to look cool makes you look like an idiot.

And for a record, no one believes manager sign the bargain deals. It's the scouts who finds them only manager takes risk on them.

This transfer window biggest mistake was selling Nani. Van Gaal wants winger who is quick and creative and sold the one he had.

United did a mix of big deals and bargains. But very few have ever been ready made world class, always good players on the up at the best. Imagine losing beckham today and signing ronaldo. United used to make the kind of signings that would irritate people on Twitter nowadays. Mane is a perfect example. It's only in the last 2 years that they have tried to really push for so listed world class players

This transfer window biggest mistake was selling Nani. Van Gaal wants winger who is quick and creative and sold the one he had.

Agreed, for pocket money basically.

Btw, this morning after I've seen reports claiming Dortmund is actually interested in Januzaj I was wondering who else might leave before the window closes.

- De Gea, only God knows.
- Evans -> Everton?
- Lingaard -> Loaned out again. :(
- Valdes -> For me that's a rock solid 100 percent departure. :(
- Chicharito -> Permanent or loan? :(

Guys?

Last edited:
And re last line, you call yourself a United fan (yeah I know you just choose) and can't even respect the man who brought so much trophies for the club. Trying to look cool makes you look like an idiot.

I don't recall Tyton ever calling himself a United fan. All he said was that he chooses to follow United more closely than other clubs. That's a big difference

I don't recall Tyton ever calling himself a United fan. All he said was that he chooses to follow United more closely than other clubs. That's a big difference

No. I remember his saying he was United fan for XYZ season for whatever reason.

As usual you miss the point by mile.

Imagine if we buy a 25 year old striker for 20 Million pounds and buying a 26 27 year Old CB from Dutch league who as a 26 year old didn't even play 150 league games in Dutch league? Place would go bonkers.

As usual you claim you were misunderstood when I catch you spewing ignorant bullshit.

Yes, the place would go bonkers. With joy, because Stam and RVN were key players signed from a top club of (back then) one of strongest leagues of the world. Nowadays it would be like signing key player from PSG or Juventus and you would all **** yourself.

Try to stick with things you know about football, like who was the best player in Barcelona in 2014, since that's just about the extent of your knowledge.

You were making up deluded theories up about Ferguson's transfer dealings.
You got caught.
You started whining that I don't respect Ferguson.

Brilliant.

Here's a thought - how about you show your respect for Ferguson by actually educating yourself about football prior to year 2011.

As usual you claim you were misunderstood when I catch you spewing ignorant bullshit.

Yes, the place would go bonkers. With joy, because Stam and RVN were key players signed from a top club of (back then) one of strongest leagues of the world. Nowadays it would be like signing key player from PSG or Juventus and you would all **** yourself.

Again loads of nonsense. Dutch league was already on decline in the late 90s and big players were gone. You posts stopped amazing me. Everyone knows you just spout **** and run away like a little girl, also everyone knows you post about somethings that you have absolutely no idea, like how you made to look like a little ***** in Chelsea thread when started posting about Jose without even reading what was written in the article.

Try to stick with things you know about football, like who was the best player in Barcelona in 2014, since that's just about the extent of your knowledge.

Is that meant to be an insult?

You were making up deluded theories up about Ferguson's transfer dealings.
You got caught.
You started whining that I don't respect Ferguson.

Deluded theories. I said players were signed from smaller clubs and leagues and that's a fact. Delusion is you thinking you know something about the club.

Here's a thought - how about you show your respect for Ferguson by actually educating yourself about football prior to year 2011.

How about you ******* off and choosing other club for the season. Like I said, trying to act cool but always end up looking like an idiot in all the threads.

Edit: Here's a tip. Only 1 club made it to the knock out rounds of CL from 1996-00 and that happened only once. So much for one of the biggest league. Anyways like I said I'm not even surprised.

Going back 1 more year, from 1995 only 1 club made it to the knock outs and that happened only twice. So 1995-00, only Ajax made it to the KOs and twice.

If ManUtd signed players like RVN and Stam, internet would be full of ignorants like you moaning about it.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Finally a good article about Smalling and getting some recognition he deserves.

Manchester United's improved defence is anchored by fit-again Chris Smalling

i
Louis van Gaal has been able to rely on Chris Smalling as the talisman in his new-look defence.While the pressing issues for many Manchester United fans might include why the club's principal striker (Wayne Rooney) has failed to score this season, why the club won't be signing Pedro (a player who has won everything) or who the club might be signing up front in the remaining 11 days of the transfer window, United's defence has made a quietly effective start to the campaign. The way in which United play under Louis van Gaal makes the team less prolific, but also hard to beat. Chances are few at either end, but United's defence has still excelled to keep clean sheets in both league games.
It would be a surprise if Newcastle United scored three at Old Trafford on Saturday, as they did on Boxing Day 2012, or if they won, as they did a season later.
Before a ball had been kicked in July, there had been mild consternation at United's so-far regular back four of Luke Shaw, Daley Blind, Chris Smalling and Matteo Darmian. Shaw had an indifferent first season, Blind wasn't seen as a natural centre-half and the first time most United fans knew of Darmian was when they began Googling him after he was signed.
"They've been excellent for several reasons," says former United defender David May. "Darmian has settled in very, very well. He has the class of someone who is right-back for the Italian national team. That's his position, whereas United have been using Antonio Valencia, not a natural right-back, for the last couple of seasons."
"Chris Smalling has established himself as United's number one centre-half," adds May. "He's become a leader. He's very quick, brings the ball out well and very rarely gets done by an opponent.
"I thought he finished last season well and any doubts I had about him being a bit timid went. He's strong, brave, reads the game intelligently and brings balance. I really think Louis van Gaal is getting the best out of him."

Smalling scored twice after coming on against Burnley and also got the fourth in United's best win last season, their 4-2 victory over Manchester City. Yet he was sent off in the away derby for a mindless lunge on James Milner just seconds after picking up a yellow card. Still, Arsenal were interested in Smalling but United had no intention of selling.
His central partner and foil, Blind, has marked Tottenham's fleet-heeled front three headed by Harry Kane and was at ease when Aston Villa brought on Rudy Gestede. "Blind's a very experienced player who has played centre-half for Ajax," says May. "Blind and Smalling remind me of Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister. Blind, like Bruce, isn't quick, but Smalling, like Pallister, is. He cleans everything up.
"When you have a settled back four, which United have not really had in recent years, you get to learn each other's strengths and weakness."
United's defence already looks stable.
"They defend really well together," said Club Brugge defender Oscar Duarte, one of the best players at Old Trafford in Tuesday's Champions League first leg playoff. "It's their movement off the ball, when they move as a block. They look like they understand each other well. Smalling is strong, fast and aggressive. Our attackers found it hard."
Right from United's first preseason game in Seattle on July 17, Shaw has looked fitter, more focussed and more productive.
"Shaw looks strong," May said. "It takes a while to settle in when you join United -- and I speak from experience. You don't realise the scrutiny and the pressure every day, but you do get used to it and I think Luke has."

Smalling has been at the club far longer than the rest, with five years and 133 games to his name. Yet that equates to just 26 starts per season -- around half of United's matches. Injuries haven't helped, though latterly Sir Alex Ferguson, David Moyes and Louis van Gaal have been more inclined to use three central defenders rather than have a solid central pairing like Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand or Bruce and Pallister.
"As a young player, you need a bank of games under your belt to bring consistency," explains another former United defender, Gary Neville. "Being out of the team every 10 or 15 games really harms your development. Jones, Smalling and Shaw have got to stay fit.
"Potentially, I have no qualms about any of them becoming top players, but they have to stay fit and be playing 45-50 games per season. Maybe it will be easier when their bodies settle down after growth. Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen got lots of injuries early in their career when their bodies were still growing."
Surprisingly, Smalling has never started more than 21 league games in a season but if he can avoid injury and keep up his encouraging form, that looks set to change. In contrast, Jonny Evans, one of the central three with Phil Jones and Smalling for much of the past five years, looks like his future is away from United.
i
Smalling has suffered injuries but is well-established at Old Trafford and has even contributed some key goals.In January 2014, Phil Neville (then a United coach) said: "The young centre-halves have come in and done fantastic. Smalling, Jones and Evans have done well all season -- we've seen the future there."
Van Gaal sees it differently and bought Marcos Rojo, though the fitness of the Argentinian caused concern when he returned to Carrington after a short summer break.
"I like Jonny Evans; he's a top player and any United player will tell you that he's the best footballing centre-half at the club," May said. "I know, I speak to them, but Jonny's confidence has been knocked and a move would be good for him."
Despite the settled back four, May still thinks United need to bring in an experienced centre-half. United wanted Sergio Ramos, but the Spaniard stayed in Madrid, where he's now Real Madrid captain.
"Nicolas Otamendi is a good buy for City," May said. "He's experienced and used to playing as a central defender against the best players in the world. I still think United need another central defender for big games at home and in the Champions League."
Before United's last Champions League game against Bayern Munich away in April 2014, Smalling's selection was widely questioned but he responded with an assured, aggressive, performance. He was comfortable in the air and beat any Bayern player for speed. According to Michael Carrick, Smalling, 25, is the fastest player at the club.
Smalling has the quality; now he needs the consistent starts -- and to avoid injury.

Man United defensive improvement led by Chris Smalling - ESPN FC

He is improving and becoming excellent CB. Hasn't put a foot wrong since City game and he was good before that too. Shame people remember his performance as RB and wrote him off.

Didn't know Griezmann was ManUtd fan and his idol was Giggs.

CK4J0STW8AA__Uj.jpg

CK4J0VfWUAEfR3J.jpg

CK4J0YeWwAArBY2.jpg

Last edited:
Bild are saying Bayern would sell Gotze for 31m. Does LvG read Bild?

Would take Gotze for sure, won't get any better in remaining days of window.

But Bayern might be Bayern and refuse to sell to us again.

Back