The Manchester United Thread

Newcastle were all over the place in the first 20 and some of the last 10. But for the other 60 they were very difficult to beat.

Through the middle Anita and Colback had a physical presence that made it even harder to get past an impressive Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor. Out wide Mbemba and Haidara were blocking almost every cross we attempted. And then you have Krul who made key saves when we really should have scored two at least.

Of course we need a winger, but personnel is only symptomatic of a deeper issue, which is attacking cohesion and rhythm. Everything else is relatively fine.

Last edited:
Do you remember how De Gea was at the start ? Give him time to grow in confidence I reckon he will be a class act, Would like to see Butland there one day!

He's a 28 year old keeper with 65 international caps. It's safe to say that he ain't getting much better. When you move to the Prem as a keeper, the ball doesn't move differently because he's moved to the Prem. De Gea was still a diamond in the rough when he joined.

Big moments though, these things add up at the end of the season. Difference between having a good striker and a top striker. (No I'm not saying Pedro is a striker).

Everyone knows we actually needed a striker this window, so it's no big surprise if it comes back to bite us in the ***.
None of those finishes have anything to do with needing a top striker. They should have been converted by those players because that's what they normally convert. Let's not forget Rooney had a perfectly good goal ruled out. We could do with another addition. But that has nothing to do with today. Nothing. We had the players to do it today and they simply didn't take their chances. That's it. Not everything is sorted by throwing a new player in.

Either get a winger or a quick, technical #10. Mata has been superb all 3 games, now that brick wall from Torino has secured the right side. Its the CAM that's not doing enough creatively at the moment.

Either a winger or a #10. Mata has been superb all 3 games, now that brick wall from Torino has secured the right side. Its the CAM that's not doing enough creatively at the moment.
I would chase gotze and move mata to 10

If this were mid-season perhaps fewer would be quick to jump on the "we need a new striker" ship. These games happen all the time. There will be clubs who will happily sit back, defend, and take the draw. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. It just happened to be that Newcastle got what they came for: anything but 0 points.

If this were mid-season perhaps fewer would be quick to jump on the "we need a new striker" ship. These games happen all the time. There will be clubs who will happily sit back, defend, and take the draw. Sometimes it works, other times not so much. It just happened to be that Newcastle got what they came for: anything but 0 points.
The answer to everything is buy. 21-2 bad games and the general opinion of players can completely flip. The players out there were more than good enough to win today, with additions or not. It's team cohesion that matters more at this stage. Sam Allardice has pretty much echoed what Arsene Wenger in saying that there's no point buying player's that won't improve the team because they can disrupt the balance. Van Gaal was right on Passing Pedro because he wouldn't improve United massively. I would say that Januzaj is definately more talented than him and you shouldn't buy a winger unless he's equal to or better than Depay.

Gotze isn't much quicker than him. They are both similar players. You would then have the same situation.

No, he's right. Gotze would be great, and might be actually available. He's not Ulsain Bolt but he has enough mobility not to cockblock the attacks. More importantly, he gets the ball around quickly. Right now transitions are more of a problem then lack of pace. The left side with Shaw and Memphis especially, is fully capable of launching devastating counters as long as transitions are quick enough.

The answer to everything is buy. 21-2 bad games and the general opinion of players can completely flip. The players out there were more than good enough to win today, with additions or not. It's team cohesion that matters more at this stage. Sam Allardice has pretty much echoed what Arsene Wenger in saying that there's no point buying player's that won't improve the team because they can disrupt the balance. Van Gaal was right on Passing Pedro because he wouldn't improve United massively. I would say that Januzaj is definately more talented than him and you shouldn't buy a winger unless he's equal to or better than Depay.

Sometimes I feel you rate United players much higher than ManUtd fans do. Sometimes it's good to read but sometimes I just feel it's not closer to reality at all.

Pedro is a massive talent.

I guess we'll see, but his 'rough patch has gone on for too long. No one should be immune from being replaceable and maybe it will even get some spark back into his game if he had some pressure that he was on the bench. I'm not Chicharito's biggest fan but I liked more of what I seen of him offering to this system than Rooney.

Tbh I'd be happy if we got either a striker or a winger in this window, but I can't see either sadly. Which I do think will effect our chances this season. Time shall tell I guess.

No one saw Depay coming. Or Schweinsteiger. Or Darmian and Schneiderlein.

Boy that was a frustrating game...but I like to look at the positives

1. Our defense have carried on their fine form. This was those kind of matches that we would actually have lost last year like West brom @ home...absolutely bossing the entire game only to concede a cheap goal that could have been dealt with...if we can keep as tight in every game, we can't lose...

2. Even tho we didn't win, we played much better than we have in the last 2 games. We were just downright unlucky...with smallings hitting the post at the 91st minute

The lesson is we need a livewire on the pitch...someone who can create something out of absolutely nothing...like an inform di maria...depay is one for the future but he's still fairly young...

Last edited:

So you ARE Wenger in disguise!!!

No one saw Depay coming. Or Schweinsteiger. Or Darmian and Schneiderlein.

Only Bastian was out of the blue on those. The rest you were linked with for a good few weeks, months in Depays case.

Only Bastian was out of the blue on those. The rest you were linked with for a good few weeks, months in Depays case.

We're linked with basically every player on the planet. We were linked with Schweinsteiger too. The point is that no journalist actually called any of those signings as happening until they were basically done.

Rooney should play no10 role with Memphis on left and either mata or januzzi on the right. I'd like to see Wilson given a chance or go and blow a **** load of money on a world class forward. We need an aguero type player who can put the ball in between those White sticks. Rooney just isn't quick enough now.

He's a 28 year old keeper with 65 international caps. It's safe to say that he ain't getting much better. When you move to the Prem as a keeper, the ball doesn't move differently because he's moved to the Prem. De Gea was still a diamond in the rough when he joined.

Yes but they other clubs he has been at haven't had the same fan base, expectancy & pressure so yes he can get better, maybe not ability wise however confidence and comfort play a big part plus his lifestyle has changed and he needs to adjust.

I still think we need that magical player in our team, it's a bit scary when you consider the only real person who we have in the team who currently is a 21 year old, who just joined the club, is that one guy you're counting on to produce the special moments. Basically we still need to replace Di Maria.

So in many regards, whilst Gotze at this stage, isn't ideal, I'd welcome him with open arms. As he's certainly one of them types of players. But I don't think he's an option.

I still think we need that magical player in our team, it's a bit scary when you consider the only real person who we have in the team who currently is a 21 year old, who just joined the club, is that one guy you're counting on to produce the special moments. Basically we still need to replace Di Maria.

So in many regards, whilst Gotze at this stage, isn't ideal, I'd welcome him with open arms. As he's certainly one of them types of players. But I don't think he's an option.

Not Di Maria that we need to replace, we need to find the goals and quality of 2013 RVP.

Back