The Manchester United Thread

If Rooney provides it then that's good enough but i can't see that happening, whether it's the tactics or him.

I'd say its more tactical than him. But asking him to play 50 games this season is crazy.

We better be ready to properly use Hernandez or Rooney will burn out long before the season ends.

I'd say its more tactical tham him. But asking him to play 50 games this season is crazy.

Well given his past fitness/injury record and his knack for hot/cold runs of form i say a new striker is a must. Unless the manager trusts hernandez/wilson, but i'm not a big fan of relying on one them to be the main man in games rooney might miss.

KDB is a great fit for your attacking right hand side, as he will be in replacing Nasri.

Dont think hes close to a replacement for Yaya, KDB just cant play the same defensive role that Yaya can in the way we setup, Hence the massive Pogba rumours.

I expect City to tie up the deal, but he would be an ideal fit in either team at this point.

You haven't watched him as you admit, so your argument quite frankly holds little merit. If you havent seen how he plays, how can you make any judgement?

The bold is entirely relevant, because if they are not offering anything then you never lost anything.

If you sell a player who gave you nothing then all you have done is trim your squad,

RvP was our main striker in the last season when we actually won the league. Fergie signed him and preferred him as striker over Rooney which says a lot considering it was only a few seasons before that when Rooney bagged a load of goals playing as a no.9. Fergie basically saw RvP as a better striker than Rooney.

Just because he didn't contribute last season doesn't mean he didn't need replacing, we didn't score enough goals last season anyway.

KDB is a great fit for your attacking right hand side, as he will be in replacing Nasri.

Dont think hes close to a replacement for Yaya, KDB just cant play the same defensive role that Yaya can in the way we setup, Hence the massive Pogba rumours.

I expect City to tie up the deal, but he would be an ideal fit in either team at this point.

I'm glad someone else who watches him as popped up. Was ready to lose my mind.

Well given his past fitness/injury record and his knack for hot/cold runs of form i say a new striker is a must. Unless the manager trusts hernandez/wilson, but i'm not a big fan of relying on one them to be the main man in games rooney might miss.

I woudlnt say new striker, but better goal support. Hence the arrival of Depay. In fairness we should have scored 4 last game.

IMO Rooney is expected to do to much in the team and we need an out and out poacher, Hernandez could potentially be that guy if he was given a good run of games to get his confidence up. Rooney drops too deep and United are so slow in a build up of play now which kills the game for me. I prefer to see things like Ronaldo vs Arsenal (Champ league semi final ?) 7 passes and it's in the net kind of football.

Don't think he'll start over mata

Don't think he'll start over mata

Earlier this morning with half-closed eyes I thought signing KDB for 50M is just insane, but on my way to the office I've got the feeling (not around my cloaca) that having Schweini and Schneiderlin as holding midfielders, KDB as a AMC, Mata as AMR, Depay as AML and Rooney as...say...CF would kick arses!

For me, De Bruyne is the closest replacement you could find for Di Maria, which makes your worrying about replacing DM with KDB baffling Zzeezzy haha

Last edited:
I've already admitted I haven't seen a lot of De Bruyne, especially since he moved to the Bundesliga. But lets not forget this is the same guy who 'supposedly' couldn't cut it at Chelsea under the Jose regime. If he struggled with that, then good luck under LVG where you're going to be working as hard if not harder under a very strict philosophy.

I've already admitted I haven't seen a lot of De Bruyne, especially since he moved to the Bundesliga. But lets not forget this is the same guy who 'supposedly' couldn't cut it at Chelsea under the Jose regime. If he struggled with that, then good luck under LVG where you're going to be working as hard if not harder under a very strict philosophy.

Tbf it's not that he wasn't good enough to start for Chelsea. He just wanted to be a regular starter without question which is not something Chelsea could guarentee him at that point in his career. So he pushed for a move to a club like Wolfsburg where he would be. Fair play because he has progressed leaps and bounds and would never have reached the level he has if he stayed at Chelsea. Jose admits as much as well

Also lets not forget what our actual problem is, just like last season, against teams defending with a deep block (Newcastle once they had changed after the first 20 or so minutes we had a lot less answers) we don't have enough width and we need a player who can provide that to stretch these teams more. De Bruyne I'm sure isn't one who's going to be closer to the touchline taking people on down the flanks to cross balls into the box. He's going to be more like Mata and Depay, cutting inside onto their inner foot and looking to shoot/play through the middle. Which is something we exactly don't need.

I'd say the closest thing we actually need and would replace the pace of Di Maria as well as technical ability in terms of crossing the ball from out-wide would be Bale. But we're not getting him obviously this window.

Last edited:
Tbf it's not that he wasn't good enough to start for Chelsea. He just wanted to be a regular starter without question which is not something Chelsea could guarentee him at that point in his career. So he pushed for a move to a club like Wolfsburg where he would be. Fair play because he has progressed leaps and bounds and would never have reached the level he has if he stayed at Chelsea. Jose admits as much as well

If that's true I can understand that, but I'm just not convinced that he's the answer to United's problems. I don't feel he offers the real solution to what we're lacking. See my previous post for why I don't think he is the answer to our problems.

If that's true I can understand that, but I'm just not convinced that he's the answer to United's problems. I don't feel he offers the real solution to what we're lacking. See my previous post for why I don't think he is the answer to our problems.

Who is the answer to United problems?

Who is the answer to United problems?

Also lets not forget what our actual problem is, just like last season, against teams defending with a deep block (Newcastle once they had changed after the first 20 or so minutes we had a lot less answers) we don't have enough width and we need a player who can provide that to stretch these teams more. De Bruyne I'm sure isn't one who's going to be closer to the touchline taking people on down the flanks to cross balls into the box. He's going to be more like Mata and Depay, cutting inside onto their inner foot and looking to shoot/play through the middle. Which is something we exactly don't need.

I'd say the closest thing we actually need and would replace the pace of Di Maria as well as technical ability in terms of crossing the ball from out-wide would be Bale. But we're not getting him obviously this window.

Not even mentioning the forward problem right now, Rooney's contribution isn't helping anyone.

We need someone who can offer proper width on the right with real pace that can go past defenders on the outside.

The most realistic solution in this window now would be Felipe Anderson. Weird thing is we were linked to him earlier in the window quite heavily, don't know why nothing came of it. Probably LVG's dislike of Brazilians. ;)

We need someone who can offer proper width on the right with real pace that can go past defenders on the outside.

The most realistic solution in this window now would be Felipe Anderson. Weird thing is we were linked to him earlier in the window quite heavily, don't know why nothing came of it. Probably LVG's dislike of Brazilians. ;)

We have Valenica who can offer proper width ;)

Or griezmann

Back