The Manchester United Thread

Wide player like Gotze? He's a 10, playing him wide will have the same consequences as playing Mata wide. Lack of real pace and he'll constantly cut in from the wing giving us very little width on that side. Don't think that would make sense.

Shame, we haven't signed him 3-4 seasons ago when he had pretty decent acceleration and pace in FM. :(

Benzema...who is determined to stay at Madrid.

I'd get a wide player like Gotze in, personally.

Indeed. We should have targeted Griezmann ****** ages ago. I know there were issues regarding his "temperament" but his talent was practically screaming out!

Given the lack of quality in the Brugge side the first leg, if Utd have any problems tonight it will be of their own making again. And the Belgium's recent European home record is misleading as they've played nobody.

Not much of anything to fear if the opposition is respected and a professional attitude shown. The third goal killed it like but I just didn't see any cutting edge quality regardless to worry you in the Brugge attack.

Be shocked if this isn't a straight forward evening.

Brugge should be slightly on the front foot looking to get back into the side, we should turn it into a high tempo game and hit them on the counter then control the game and hurt them. United were comfortable bar the opening 10 minutes, which was down to carrick having a mare of an evening so really there are no excuses.

We need a proper winger Mike not another makeshift no.10 we already have plenty of them. I really fail to see how you're not understanding this.

Indeed. We should have targeted Griezmann ****** ages ago. I know there were issues regarding his "temperament" but his talent was practically screaming out!

Ah no chance of getting griezmann, unless we you meant trying last season.

Ah no chance of getting griezmann, unless we you meant trying last season.

I know - I used the word "ages" specifically. I meant we should have targeted him from when he was at SOCIEDAD.

****** **** the more I think about it the more peed off I get: the theory of ADM was perfect for us.

We need a proper winger Mike not another makeshift no.10 we already have plenty of them. I really fail to see how you're not understanding this.

Have you seen Gotze play out wide? No then stop talking to me about not understanding this.

What is a "proper winger". Because Di Maria wasn't one, he'd cut inside then cross with with his left. Pedro is a forward who goes both ways.

What you mean is that we need a player who can create width, and carry a bit of pace

Players who create width that I have mentioned:

Pedro
Gotze
Griezmann
KDB

Last edited:
I know - I used the word "ages" specifically. I meant we should have targeted him from when he was at SOCIEDAD.

****** **** the more I think about it the more peed off I get: the theory of ADM was perfect for us.

Oh yeah 100% I think we had this discussion back then too.

This is why our recruitment policy is sometimes questionable, we don't need to always get the big players when they are at big clubs.

Best example was Vidal at Leverkusen, could of got him and would of solved a lot of the mess our midfield was in during numerous seasons relying on the likes of Gibson, Cleverley and Anderson etc.

This is why our recruitment policy is sometimes questionable, we don't need to always get the big players when they are at big clubs.

Only problem is that whenever we try to do that certain people start screaming their lungs out that we should be buying experience/world class and not raw players ...:P

No player is perfect for United but its always nice to know you have someone in the team who can take on a man, go past him on the outside and actually cross a ball well to connect with players in the box. #Di Maria

That's what a wingers first instinct should be, to offer real width, close to the touchline and look to get to the byline and get a ball into the box. Mata can't even offer the pace to go past a man on the outside so he's not offering the width we nerd in certain situations against deep defensive blocks especially... See last game vs Newcastle.

Valencia of old would offered this, now he doesn't, that's why we need a player who will. Mike you're wrong, I've seen Gotze, he doesn't have much pace and he's definitely a no.10. In ny opinion he will have similar problems and won't offer much different to what we have now.

Herrera and Mata please. Let them combine for 3 goals and make them inseparable.

It's tough though as IMO Schneiderlin is unarguably key player for the team and then you have Schweinsteiger or Carrick. I don't think Van Gaal will play Moran and Herrera together. So not sure how it will end up.

Maybe for this game, Herrera, Schweinsteiger and Fellaini in midfield 3 with Mata, Depay on wings and Rooney as striker like we set up last year.

No player is perfect for United but its always nice to know you have someone in the team who can take on a man, go past him on the outside and actually cross a ball well to connect with players in the box. #Di Maria

That's what a wingers first instinct should be, to offer real width, close to the touchline and look to get to the byline and get a ball into the box. Mata can't even offer the pace to go past a man on the outside so he's not offering the width we nerd in certain situations against deep defensive blocks especially... See last game vs Newcastle.

Valencia of old would offered this, now he doesn't, that's why we need a player who will. Mike you're wrong, I've seen Gotze, he doesn't have much pace and he's definitely a no.10. In ny opinion he will have similar problems and won't offer much different to what we have now.

I think just because we didn't score the performance looked bit off but we had plenty of width against Newcastle. Darmian was always in acres of space but his crossing makes Valencia look like Beckham. Same with Shaw but sucked balls when it came to attacking. Our full backs are providing lot of width and are getting to excellent positions but lack of final pass is killing us. Nothing to do with width, maybe lack of players in the box which was always my complaint.

You're wrong again on Gotze, he plays both flanks too. I used to do analysis on Gotze ffS, i'd near enough watched every game he played in 13-14. for a start he can dribble his man, though he particularly enjoys beating his man with a pass around the corner before sliding a pass across the 6 yard box with with right foot. ( YES THATS WHY HE DOESNT CUT IN ALL THE TIME FROM THE RIGHT, HE IS RIGHT FOOTED). Gotze goes left or right past his man when on the right and side, or right past his man when on the left hand side.

Again width doesnt have to come from dribbling, it comes from your positioning. Pedro is the perfect example of this. Width does not mean crossing from the byline. Ribery and Robben both keep width for Bayern, both of them are inside forwards with their strong feet on the inside.

Incorrect against newcastle, we actually beat the deep block numerous times, what we didnt have is anyone to nod the ball into the next, or Herrera to exploit Mata's movement, and we had 3 gilt edge finishes behind the deep block we missed (Depay, Mata, Hernandez)

Di Maria doesn't go past his man on the outside, unless he is going for the rabona

Last edited:
I think just because we didn't score the performance looked bit off but we had plenty of width against Newcastle. Darmian was always in acres of space but his crossing makes Valencia look like Beckham. Same with Shaw but sucked balls when it came to attacking. Our full backs are providing lot of width and are getting to excellent positions but lack of final pass is killing us. Nothing to do with width, maybe lack of players in the box which was always my complaint.

Exactly, we beat the deep block numerous times. Need herrera exploiting that space

You just answered your own post I think, Darmian offers the width sure but his crossing has been bad so it doesn't solve the whole issue. Just like if we had a winger there who couldn't cross a ball, not much use. Darmian made plenty of good runs on the outside and offered the width sure. But his end product was nowhere to be seen, he had great opportunities to find someone in the box on numerous occasions.

Ya, but then you could afford buying for the future when you were the team to beat.

When you're chasing from the 7th place, its more risky to buy promising prospect. Especially since you don't have a sugar daddy owner. Your revenue relies completely on that sweet sponsor money, and sponsor money comes because United had a reputation for extreme success.

Luckily a lot of deals are longterm, but eventually the well will dry out if you don't start bringing silverware.

Last edited:
You just answered your own post I think, Darmian offers the width sure but his crossing has been bad so it doesn't solve the whole issue. Just like if we had a winger there who couldn't cross a ball, not much use. Darmian made plenty of good runs on the outside and offered the width sure. But his end product was nowhere to be seen, he had great opportunities to find someone in the box on numerous occasions.

The issue is Darmian working on his delivery. His one on one space comes because Mata removes the man there with his movement. Last season Herrera exploited that to great effect.

Back