The Manchester United Thread

It's going to be brinkmanship with Spurs, right to the very end

i know mate,most of my transfer info came from the ceefax club news where you had to ring a number to get told of whats going on(mostly ***** even then!)or match magazine of course.good times,could pick up my footy mag for a pound max!

Always a shoot man myself haha.

Christ, teletext. You’d sit through 12 pages to get what you wanted, forget to press hold, and it’d flip back to page one before you read the first line.

Frustrating times. But **** were they far more happy than today’s social
media B/S run times.

Last edited:
It's going to be brinkmanship with Spurs, right to the very end
Yep. Always gonna be that way. Thought he would of wanted it done sooner as Poch specifically said at the start of the window he wanted players out early. But hey Levy gonna Levy.

Yep. Always gonna be that way. Thought he would of wanted it done sooner as Poch specifically said at the start of the window he wanted players out early. But hey Levy gonna Levy.

yeah i agree with you guys,even if utd pay the asking price for toby it would be typical of levy to then ask for more especially if it goes to the wire

yeah i agree with you guys,even if utd pay the asking price for toby it would be typical of levy to then ask for more especially if it goes to the wire

its got Toby/Martial swap deadline deal written all over it.

Way too early to be saying that some clubs are going to struggle and others are ready to go. If United win their first game and Liverpool don't then rightly or wrongly, the narrative will flip completely.

Way too early to be saying that some clubs are going to struggle and others are ready to go. If United win their first game and Liverpool don't then rightly or wrongly, the narrative will flip completely.

Yeah, that'll be true for whenever it happens. Assume one of the players picks up an injury, there'll be a new narrative about how it was because they were forced back early, no pre-season etc (despite the fact that it could have been incidental). Anything to push any clickbait agenda, basically.

This is either the calm before the storm or it's generally just a dead as a dodo end to the window. It's so... mysteriously quiet that it almost seems something has to happen. For our sake I hope it does.

This is either the calm before the storm or it's generally just a dead as a dodo end to the window. It's so... mysteriously quiet that it almost seems something has to happen. For our sake I hope it does.
Something is gonna have to give. It was always gonna be difficult being a WC year. Then the ridiculous idea in the same year to shorten the window.

Crazy fees breaking the window. Lesser teams in the Prem having more money than ever. Which has an effect on them being overcharged when looking around Europe. Also means with there bigger budgets they no longer have to bow to the top teams and lose all there best players for pittance.

Something is gonna have to give. It was always gonna be difficult being a WC year. Then the ridiculous idea in the same year to shorten the window.

Crazy fees breaking the window. Lesser teams in the Prem having more money than ever. Which has an effect on them being overcharged when looking around Europe. Also means with there bigger budgets they no longer have to bow to the top teams and lose all there best players for pittance.

very true.i really expected us to land 3 or four prven world class players this window but fred aside its all very dissapointing so far.think there will be toby developments before the 9th but we need more attacking threat out wide its so obvious to see

very true.i really expected us to land 3 or four prven world class players this window but fred aside its all very dissapointing so far.think there will be toby developments before the 9th but we need more attacking threat out wide its so obvious to see
Didnt expect anything attacking wise unless Martial left which looks very unlikely now as there just ain’t the time to replace him. Window has gone pretty much as I expected tbh. A top CM to complete our 3 and then give us better depth. Always thought Periera would come back and add quality to that area. Expected a FB we got one in Dalot and TFM back. Expected a top commanding Balk playing CB which we will get with Toby. And we have shifted out some more dross. We didn’t need 4 WC proven players tbh.

DDG
Valencia-Bailly-Toby-Shaw
Matic
Fred-Pogba
Sanchez-Lukaku-Martial

Thats as good as anything in the league with some very good depth to boot. Only place could maybe complain is LB but Young has been good, Shaw will get better with games. And Dalot was class there in his brief appearances there for Porto. People seriously underestimating our squad!

Didnt expect anything attacking wise unless Martial left which looks very unlikely now as there just ain’t the time to replace him. Window has gone pretty much as I expected tbh. A top CM to complete our 3 and then give us better depth. Always thought Periera would come back and add quality to that area. Expected a FB we got one in Dalot and TFM back. Expected a top commanding Balk playing CB which we will get with Toby. And we have shifted out some more dross. We didn’t need 4 WC proven players tbh.

DDG
Valencia-Bailly-Toby-Shaw
Matic
Fred-Pogba
Sanchez-Lukaku-Martial

Thats as good as anything in the league with some very good depth to boot. Only place could maybe complain is LB but Young has been good, Shaw will get better with games. And Dalot was class there in his brief appearances there for Porto. People seriously underestimating our squad!

i agree we have a very good squad,just not sure its enough to finish above city.Looking forward to seeing more of dalot and if shaw can finally make LB spot his own.Fred is a terrifc player very happy hes here.

i agree we have a very good squad,just not sure its enough to finish above city.Looking forward to seeing more of dalot and if shaw can finally make LB spot his own.Fred is a terrifc player very happy hes here.
We can compete with City. We had the worst record against the newly promoted sides last year. I think 12 points dropped against them. And 15 points total dropped to teams outside the so called top 5.

Still think fullbacks is a mess personally, Valencia is injury prone now and not the same player anymore. Always halts us going forward because he can't offer much and can't cross to save his life. Shaw comes out with the same **** start of every season, says he really wants to fulfil his destiny blah blah.... when tough gets going he goes AWOL. I feel for him somewhat because I think that leg break really set him back. But am I confident he can hold a position down all season? Not at all. Young is a good squad player, but no more then that, he can cover at LB but if we're winning titles it's all I ever want him to be.

So all in all, I think Dalot is a good signing, but not enough as our fullbacks are shaky in both RB and LB now. We could of really done with Alex Sandro or just a LB to be safe generally. If Dalit can cover RB then that fixes that side.

Definitely need a CB before window shuts, get some players out. RW is ok but not great given Martial situation, Sanchez needs to play there anyway. But Jose being Jose I doubt he will. So big question over RW still for me.

We can compete with City. We had the worst record against the newly promoted sides last year. I think 12 points dropped against them. And 15 points total dropped to teams outside the so called top 5.

cant see martial starting tbh,obviously with the players returning late he may feature in the first few games but after that who knows as his future is up in the air.looking unlikely he will leave now though doesnt it.

cant see martial starting tbh,obviously with the players returning late he may feature in the first few games but after that who knows as his future is up in the air.looking unlikely he will leave now though doesnt it.
Only way Martial leaves if Bale comes in. Can’t see it. After Sarri presser Willian ain’t happening either.

Despite the love for Valencia and Young (they are great servants to the club), no one can say that last few seasons them starting regularly hasn't held us back. Don't get me wrong they can both do a job there... but they are limited and at the end of the day... failed wingers lets be honest.

If we want to achieve big things this season, we need a RB who can cross a ball and a LB who doesn't always cut onto his right foot because he can't do anything else. Dalot solves one of those, not both.

Sort out the fullbacks and could go a long way to fixing this first team... just look at City. No excuses not to have them positions sorted by now from Woodward or Mourinho.

If it's still not addressed for this season then we only have ourselves to blame honestly.

Hopefully Shaw can have a good season but he can't be relied on to hold that position down all year.

Still think fullbacks is a mess personally, Valencia is injury prone now and not the same player anymore. Always halts us going forward because he can't offer much and can't cross to save his life. Shaw comes out with the same **** start of every season, says he really wants to fulfil his destiny blah blah.... when tough gets going he goes AWOL. I feel for him somewhat because I think that leg break really set him back. But am I confident he can hold a position down all season? Not at all. Young is a good squad player, but no more then that, he can cover at LB but if we're winning titles it's all I ever want him to be.

So all in all, I think Dalot is a good signing, but not enough as our fullbacks are shaky in both RB and LB now. We could of really done with Alex Sandro or just a LB to be safe generally. If Dalit can cover RB then that fixes that side.

Definitely need a CB before window shuts, get some players out. RW is ok but not great given Martial situation, Sanchez needs to play there anyway. But Jose being Jose I doubt he will. So big question over RW still for me.
Valencia isn’t really injury prone he’s being playing over 40 games a season in all comps which is good considering his age and the fact he has managed this problem for nearly 2 seasons now. But I agree he is terrible in th final 3rd. When Dalot is back he will slowly fade him out. Him and TFM will be good RB depth and quality if Dalot delivers his potential. We was screwed for a LB the moment Shaw made it blatantly obvious he wanted to fight for a place again and rebuff all offers to leave. Especially with him being in such a high wage ruling out even more suitors. CB will be fine once Toby comes in. Will be happy to see Rojo and Darmian out this window.

Back