The Manchester United Thread

City have Stones, Otamendi, Laporte and Kompany. Their backup centerbacks would probably walk into United squad as starters. That's the level you're competing against. So I don't know on what planet a bunch of youngsters who can't even make the bench under Mourinho are suddenly good enough to provide depth when necessary.

They are all tailor made for that system though under Pep. If you put them under a different manager in a different system that isn't working then they will be vulnerable just like our CB's.

Just look at the World Cup, Otamendi was ran ragged with Argentina and Stones despite having a decent tournament, ultimately cost his team going out of the World Cup with a schoolboy error.

**** just look at Smalling under LVG, he looked like Smaldini and one of the best CB's in the league at that time.
System is everything.

Last edited:
Why not? Out of those that Tyton made Kompany seems the one that isn't.

Kompany is a far more accomplished player on the ball, coming from being a midfielder in early carreer. Otamendi was/is a head/tackle ball winning cb, prone to dive in and miss. Pep made him a far better composed player with the ball and in concentration.

Kompany and Nigel de Jong used to play together at HSV midfield. Not that often, but they did. Otamendi and Jones aint that much better, if at all, than Smalling and Bailly. However, Cities midfield and attack is much, much better than Uniteds. Both on paper and chemistry wise. They are not as exposed as United CDs are. Thats the difference.

Van Gaals system was hold the ball, don't let our defense be exposed. It wasn't pretty, but it made our defenders look much better than they are. Smalling is a good defender. Not that good on the ball. Jones is a decent defender, but he's both injury and error prone. Bailly is so raw. He can be best in the world, however I always doubt defenders who rely on their physical attributes more than on their wits. If he can "evolve" like Ferdinand did, United will have one **** of a defender.

Get new fullbacks who are capable on the ball, either make Lukaku/Sanchez/Martial work or replace most likely Martial with right winger who's a good football before everything.

Lukaku is good, Sanchez will be great this season, he looks at his best. Pogba can do everything. United got Fred who complements both Matic and Pogba. Mourinho is doing a good job at identifying targets. Give credit when due. This is last chance for many players in the club. Smalling, Shaw, Martial are all on the verge of being sold or being key figures. Well something like that.
Rojo, Darmian, Jones can all go and United will feel nothing. But you need extra defender than. Toby M (*cough* spiderman) or Toby A. I wasn't serious about Alfie Mawson the other day, but even he would fit United better than Jones/Smalling/Rojo. Question still remains on Lindeloff. Can he adapt and be the CD United needs?

..... So I don't know on what planet a bunch of youngsters who can't even make the bench under Mourinho are suddenly good enough to provide depth when necessary.

Christ. After he efrectively pulled apart the youth policy the States (the post L’pool game Sanchez comments were staggering even for him) I don’t know what hope any of them have for themselves there.

Kompany and Nigel de Jong used to play together at HSV midfield. Not that often, but they did. Otamendi and Jones aint that much better, if at all, than Smalling and Bailly. However, Cities midfield and attack is much, much better than Uniteds. Both on paper and chemistry wise. They are not as exposed as United CDs are. Thats the difference.

Van Gaals system was hold the ball, don't let our defense be exposed. It wasn't pretty, but it made our defenders look much better than they are. Smalling is a good defender. Not that good on the ball. Jones is a decent defender, but he's both injury and error prone. Bailly is so raw. He can be best in the world, however I always doubt defenders who rely on their physical attributes more than on their wits. If he can "evolve" like Ferdinand did, United will have one **** of a defender.

Get new fullbacks who are capable on the ball, either make Lukaku/Sanchez/Martial work or replace most likely Martial with right winger who's a good football before everything.

Lukaku is good, Sanchez will be great this season, he looks at his best. Pogba can do everything. United got Fred who complements both Matic and Pogba. Mourinho is doing a good job at identifying targets. Give credit when due. This is last chance for many players in the club. Smalling, Shaw, Martial are all on the verge of being sold or being key figures. Well something like that.
Rojo, Darmian, Jones can all go and United will feel nothing. But you need extra defender than. Toby M (*cough* spiderman) or Toby A. I wasn't serious about Alfie Mawson the other day, but even he would fit United better than Jones/Smalling/Rojo. Question still remains on Lindeloff. Can he adapt and be the CD United needs?

Agree with a lot of this, at the end of the day, we need to tweak the system. Far more than we need players. That said, having someone like Toby A, who gives Jose confidence in the defence, would make things much easier to play 10 yards further forwards and make us that much more dangerous without even kicking a ball.

Interesting. He needs a player who he's confident in so he can play more expensive? If thats true, thats sad. Both Bailly and Lindelof are his signings. He needs to trust them more, especially Lindelof. But still, whats 50-60m for United? You get the player who will be on top of his game for next 3 years, maybe more. Problem with him is - he's getting more injury prone as he gets older. This last injury kept him away for 6 months. Can United afford another injury prone player, let alone defender where Untied are the weakest?

Interesting. He needs a player who he's confident in so he can play more expensive? If thats true, thats sad. Both Bailly and Lindelof are his signings. He needs to trust them more, especially Lindelof. But still, whats 50-60m for United? You get the player who will be on top of his game for next 3 years, maybe more. Problem with him is - he's getting more injury prone as he gets older. This last injury kept him away for 6 months. Can United afford another injury prone player, let alone defender where Untied are the weakest?

injuries can happen any player,at anytime and at any age.Tobys inury record is not alarming,look at rojo who has had numerous injuries since he been at OT and as for jones well i dont need to say anything on him.good player ravaged by injuries

injuries can happen any player,at anytime and at any age.Tobys inury record is not alarming,look at rojo who has had numerous injuries since he been at OT and as for jones well i dont need to say anything on him.good player ravaged by injuries

In last 3 years he missed 45 games. In 3 years before that he missed 10 games. And last injury he had is a nasty one, because it will happen again. And when it happens, he'll be off the pitch for a month at least. I like Toby, but there's a big risk if you ask me.
Lets say he's will stay fit - its a no brainer. Sign him right now.

find it hard to believe he will be allowed to leave with no replacement.possible swap with willian still on?who knows

Really don't want Willian, get Perisic over him. Even though they play on different sides.

The problem is Bailly is excellent but has been worrying injured. Smalling and Jones are a Joke. Lindelof actually has the potential. Is still adapting. But you still need 4 centre backs, 3 of whom are very good. That would he Toby, bailly and lindelof. Then one of the others as the 4th.

Really don't want Willian, get Perisic over him. Even though they play on different sides.

yes i really like perisic,watched him a few times when at wolfsburg.tbh would prefer perisic but would be happy with willian

The problem is Bailly is excellent but has been worrying injured. Smalling and Jones are a Joke. Lindelof actually has the potential. Is still adapting. But you still need 4 centre backs, 3 of whom are very good. That would he Toby, bailly and lindelof. Then one of the others as the 4th.
Agree with the numbers. Bailly is way to physical and similar to Jones, he's not doing himself any favor with it. With those 4, and with some youngster like Tuanzebe, United should have enough depth.

Our fullbacks will cost us again this season, Shaw and Darmian are gash. Offer next to nothing going forward.

Back