The Manchester United Thread

Guardian, BBC, Times, Telegraph basically everyone reporting the same thing nearly word for word. And I’m with you tbh completely agree!

Hm. Well, yeah, it makes sense. Although, one place I disagree is them being happy with the current options. The approach at CB was that if a youngish, WC CB is available, then we would go for it. That works if you have complete confidence in the current CB options, and they are already at a very good value.

However, with our CBs, that could prove costly. Makes me wonder if we should still have stumped up some cash for Toby. Probably can get 3 good years out of him; But if the club views him as 'replacing a fifth best defender at the club for another fifth best defender', then they know something we don't. (or I misread the context).

Anyhow, despite the disappointing transfer window, onwards we move. Fred is a rather good addition, and if the club are approaching the window with a plan, its still fine (despite it not working out). I like the idea of nurturing young players, along with getting WC talent (throwback to the Fergie era?). And if Bailly remains fit, and Lindelof is given a run of games, they should still make a very good CB pair. Lindelof's heading still kinda worries me though. Interesting to see what happens later.

Hm. Well, yeah, it makes sense. Although, one place I disagree is them being happy with the current options. The approach at CB was that if a youngish, WC CB is available, then we would go for it. That works if you have complete confidence in the current CB options, and they are already at a very good value.

However, with our CBs, that could prove costly. Makes me wonder if we should still have stumped up some cash for Toby. Probably can get 3 good years out of him; But if the club views him as 'replacing a fifth best defender at the club for another fifth best defender', then they know something we don't. (or I misread the context).

Anyhow, despite the disappointing transfer window, onwards we move. Fred is a rather good addition, and if the club are approaching the window with a plan, its still fine (despite it not working out). I like the idea of nurturing young players, along with getting WC talent (throwback to the Fergie era?). And if Bailly remains fit, and Lindelof is given a run of games, they should still make a very good CB pair. Lindelof's heading still kinda worries me though. Interesting to see what happens later.
Good post! Can’t spend nearly 70-75m on CBS then not give them a chance to gel or play together. Then demand another similar fee on another CB who is 30 been injured and will want massive wages. Can totally understand if in Jan or next Summer we ship 2 of Smalling, Jones, Rojo out then bid 25m clause for Toby. Makes more sense then imo. Never ever thought the money wasn’t there.

Last edited:
From Mourinho on MUTV on Pogba-

"He arrived on Monday, happy, proud, with desire to work and be with the team. He worked amazingly well on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. He’s one of my best players. He's one of the players I need to speak to to see how physically and mentally strong he feels. It's the same conversation that I'm going to have with Young, Fellaini, Lingard to know how they feel to try to give us the help. If they feel they can help us, if it's 20 minutes, 10 minutes, half an hour. We don't have many solutions and we want to go with everything we have. The way I see Paul is well, is very well, but we need the words with that small group to see if they can give us a hand. It's an important match tomorrow. Every point is important. We have to try the best with every player. And there situations, there humans.”

Predicted 11 :)

DDG
Young-Bailly-Smalling-Shaw
Periera
Fellaini-Fred
Mata-Lukaku-Sanchez
Grant, Darmian, Jones, Lindelöf, Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, McTominey

As much as I kind of back decision if true from those reports like Guardian to veto the targets due to age etc.

it makes me even more concerned for the season in a way because Mourinho will implode if things go badly. Especially now he practically knows that the board didn't fully back him to deliver the targets.

Here's hoping we can get off to a good start and avoid the impending misery if Mourinho starts to crack.

Predicted 11 :)

DDG
Young-Bailly-Smalling-Shaw
Periera
Fellaini-Fred
Mata-Lukaku-Sanchez
Grant, Darmian, Jones, Lindelöf, Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, McTominey

Young as a RB? Don't see how he'll start this game, not had a preseason and surely it has to be Darmian?

Expect Mctominay in there if we play as a 3 man midfield over Fellaini (he's had no preseason either, so what's that say for McTominay if he starts ahead of him tonight?).

Lindelof over Smalling for me and now is the time to try him out while teams are still rusty. Mata on the right has never enthralled me but I guess we shall give it a go and see.

Young as a RB? Don't see how he'll start this game, not had a preseason and surely it has to be Darmian?

Expect Mctominay in there if we play as a 3 man midfield over Fellaini (he's had no preseason either, so what's that say for McTominay if he starts ahead of him tonight?).

Lindelof over Smalling for me and now is the time to try him out while teams are still rusty. Mata on the right has never enthralled me but I guess we shall give it a go and see.

totally agree on lindelof,throw him in and let him try and adapt.We all know about de gea,evra,vidic etc when they first came so unless lindelof is given a chance we will never know. as for mata,my heart drops a little when i see him put wide as he hasnt really got the tools to hurt teams out there just isnt quick enough and i dont think his crossing is great either

Mourinho will speak with Young and Fellaini. And I have no doubt they will make themselves available. Some people may not like them. But they will go through anything for there manager. Be nice to see Lindelöf and Bailly play together but can’t see it. Same goes for Lukaku in regards to Young and Fellaini.

totally agree on lindelof,throw him in and let him try and adapt.We all know about de gea,evra,vidic etc when they first came so unless lindelof is given a chance we will never know. as for mata,my heart drops a little when i see him put wide as he hasnt really got the tools to hurt teams out there just isnt quick enough and i dont think his crossing is great either

Agree totally about Mata, problem we have is if Jose insists on playing Sanchez on the left then that limits our options on the right. I just want to see players who can keep the width, get to the byline and actually cross a ball. get the fans on the edge of their seats with some pace and take ons the fullback.

Last edited:
Yeah, Jose needs to get over his dislikes and ego, and just plug in Martial on the left, with Sanchez on the right. With that, both wings have pace, trickery and goals. Rashford should ideally be an impact sub for us, coming on to stretch defenses. As much as I like him, don't think his end product is good enough yet to be regularly starting.

But more questions when Lingard is back. With his form, it is hard to justify dropping him.

Kick off at 1 pm BST Utd u18s v Derby u18s first league game
Live on MUTV now -

Greenwood makes it 1-0 after about 30 mins with a superb composed finish. Assist by Ramanzani who has been quality. Team look a bit disjointed as expected.

1-1 at HT terrible defending for there goal. Then Greenwood misses the worst pen ever basically rolled it straight to the keeper.

Team

Carney
Puigmal-Laird-Dishon-Williams
Traore
Mcghee-Levitt
Elanga-Greenwood-Ramanzani

Subs-Hockenhull, Thompson, McCann, Neville, Helm

Lol 2-1 Just after halftime great goal by Williams. Runs 30yrds then slot it home.

Then straight from the kick off our keeper brings down there player 2-2 :/

What a goal! Absolute worldie pass from Ramanzani. And another great finish by Greenwood!

FFS another stupid pen! 3-3

Last edited:
Manchester United squad vs Leicester:

De Gea, Grant, Kovar

Bailly, Smalling, Lindleof, Jones, Young, Shaw

McTominay, Pogba, Mata, Fred, Pereira, Fellaini

Rashford, Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial

Manchester United squad vs Leicester:

De Gea, Grant, Kovar

Bailly, Smalling, Lindleof, Jones, Young, Shaw

McTominay, Pogba, Mata, Fred, Pereira, Fellaini

Rashford, Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial

Knowing Mourinho, I'm half expecting him to play Lindelof at RB.

Jose in prog: "Like always we want to keep improving and keep bringing trophies to Manchester United because success motivates us. I hope that tonight, we take the first steps towards doing that."

Back