The Manchester United Thread

G Neville: “Mourinho will hate everything he’s seeing, he cannot believe it. All of them dive in, every single one of them. He's got five centre-backs, is there a pair there you would trust?"

Paul Scholes: "I don't think you can blame the manager today. It's down to individual mistakes."

What in the actual **** happened today? Looked like the first time the team played together.. I'm absolutely speechless..

He had summer before, and summer before that with unlimited budget.

Even if it true it makes no sense with a 3 season manager like Mourinho not to give him it again this summer so we have best chance of winning silverware.

I wouldn't say Jose has unlimited resources, if he did we'd be sitting here with Alderweireld, Perisic etc. and not falling short because of the club trying to scrape a few mil savings

Not excusing Jose or his dinosaur football, but have to say the backing has definitely not been infinite, and you can't throw Pogba & Lukaku's fees in the mix as a counter-argument to facts. We didn't sign players on Jose's list because the club wouldn't add an extra few mil on some deals

Woody did not sign players on Jose’s list because he wanted to get rid of Martial to sign a 29 year-old Willian or Perisic. And why can’t I throw Lukaku/Pogba fees or Sanchez wages into the mix? No other manager in the EPL has gotten that level of backing from their club.

Stop making me defend Jose. Yes all in all, he's been incredibly backed in his time at the club, but infinitely backed he has not (factually) as he doesn't have his ideal team/signings, at the sake of a few mil or overruling.

Even if it true it makes no sense with a 3 season manager like Mourinho not to give him it again this summer so we have best chance of winning silverware.

So throw away the future of the club by selling someone like Martial in the hopes that Willian will lead you to the league title? Lol

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I guess board did not want to spend 130m on two 29yo players just to make Jose 'feel secure'. For Glazers, football is buissnes. It makes no sense for them to spend that much money when you cant get it back. And even if they did, theres no guarantee they would 'click'. It easier to sell guy who will have 25 years in next 2 seasons, than 31yo. By easier i mean to get most of your money back.

Last edited:
So throw away the future of the club by selling someone like Martial in the hopes that Willian will lead you to the league title? Lol

Didnt say to let go of players I just said give him the players he wants this season. He wanted four signings, we got two, doesn’t matter how you calculate it that’s very poor by the board because he gives a list so not like they had one or two options.

I don’t even like Jose but today was stupid individual errors and we know the football won’t be better. But you can’t account for individual errors like that.

I was genuinely praying we could engineer a swap deal for Martial with Willian. Its a pity Woody turned out to have some semblance of a footballing brain...

Didnt say to let go of players I just said give him the players he wants this season. He wanted four signings, we got two, doesn’t matter how you calculate it that’s very poor by the board because he gives a list so not like they had one or two options.

I don’t even like Jose but today was stupid individual errors and we know the football won’t be better. But you can’t account for individual errors like that.

It does not work like that though. If you think Jose should have been backed unconditionally, that means supporting all his transfer decisions and not just the players he wanted bought but also the players he wanted sold. You cant have 10 wingers in your squad.

Board was very smart. Paying £60m for willian would have been the hoax of the century.

its now about hoping lindelof and bailly can form some sort of partnership and either valencia gets fit quick or dalot adapts even quicker.very dissapointed but its only one game although im not full of optimism for the season ahead.Top four will be success....how sad is that

I wouldn't be surprised to see Smalling back in the 11 for the rest of the season ahead of Lindelöf. Smalling has sadly been our most reliable defender for the past 4 years or so..

I wouldn't be surprised to see Smalling back in the 11 for the rest of the season ahead of Lindelöf. Smalling has sadly been our most reliable defender for the past 4 years or so..

I thought Lindelof was better than Bailly today, Bailly over committed himself for one of their goals and ultimately costs us. They both weren’t great though let’s be honest, but changing it now seems counter productive. Just like if we suddenly don’t see Pereira next game, they need time and consistency in order to perform week in week out.

As disappointing as today was I don’t want to see major changes because they will learn from this hopefully. It’s only when you now bench players like Lindelof/Pereira now will they gain nothing and they both played well last week. Give them another chance, Smalling and co. have had plenty.

Pogba: "Myself first, the attitude was not right and not want it to be, it was not enough." #MUFC

Admirable but concerning when a club captain is saying that... this is always the thing with Pogba though in United shirt.... he’ll have a good game last week then follow it up with a performance like today, there is just no consistency.

Admirable but concerning when a club captain is saying that... this is always the thing with Pogba though in United shirt.... he’ll have a good game last week then follow it up with a performance like today, there is just no consistency.

tbf the whole team was **** today, I can't understand it..

Don't try to. Our defence is dire, we have no clue who our best CB paring is. Toby & Bailly should've been set in stone by now, let's hope we're still hanging in there by January and just pay the ******* fee for Toby. Hope Dalot is what he's supposed to be too.

Also badly missed Matic in this type of game, and Mata should be nowhere near the starting XI these days. Mertesacker could come out of retirement and genuinely outpace him. How we didn't snap up a Mahrez or a Willian for that RW position over the last year is beyond me. Lukaku looked extremely rusty also.

tbf the whole team was **** today, I can't understand it..

Ultimately down to the manager, I don’t think we have any real philosophy anymore which is a shame because the United DNA of old has been well and truly lost.

Young is never ever a RB, if we don’t realise this I’m seriously worried.

This the type of game that costs you at end of season. What have we even done this half... one long Pogba shot.... nothing else practically.

He's the third choice right back. Because we have two injured. He's not the problem tonight. We were just *****.

Think we're overreacting again as usual. It was ****, but as long as we get over it sharpish, it doesn't matter. Yet

I'd rather have honesty. Again, if he learns from that, then it doesn't matter. What will hurt us is if we keep making the same mistakes.

Back