The Manchester United Thread

His contract ends next year he could leave on a free if he was desperate, or hand in a transfer request. He's done neither. Because the club have always wanted him to stay. He didn't get sold because Woodward refused to countenance that. So yeah he would be doing it for relationship with the club. If the club simply wanted to sell him next summer they would just activate the year extension

Ultimately it's good news for United for the reasons you mention, but I just find it really odd that Martial is even entertaining it now.

But then again who knows what the future is going to hold, he might think to himself that Mourinho won't be here much longer and a new manager will revitalise him.

Or the bad theory is that these are done behind Mou back and they have promised to Martial that Mourinho will not be the manager for long.

As far fetched as that sounds, it really isn't beyond the realms of possibility. As I mentioned to Mike, how would Martial in his current situation even entertain a new contract right now? Other than knowing that he will either be getting assurances from Mourinho (very unlikely given their relationship) or that Mourinho won't be here much longer.

Last edited:
Ultimately it's good news for United for the reasons you mention, but I just find it really odd that Martial is even entertaining it now.

But then again who knows what the future is going to hold, he might think to himself that Mourinho won't be here much longer and a new manager will revitalise him.

As far fetched as that sounds, it really isn't beyond the realms of possibility. As I mentioned to Mike, how would Martial in his current situation even entertain a new contract right now? Other than knowing that he will either be getting assurances from Mourinho (very unlikely given their relationship) or that Mourinho won't be here much longer.

I've added more to my initial post, which should answer your questions

Mourinho is also supposedly happy with it according to Jamie Jackson

We should also remember the club is hiring a DOR, and the manager is moving to more of a head coach role. So the power will shift away from Jose and future managers in that style anyway.

You would genuinely have to be insane to believe the idea that Mourinho is happy with Martial extending his contract.

You would genuinely have to be insane to believe the idea that Mourinho is happy with Martial extending his contract.

You can't pick and choose when yo listen to good journalists. You either listen to them all or not at all. Why is it we can listen to Jamie Jackson if he criticises, but not if he points out this bit of news. You were literally lauding journalists two pages back.

You can't pick and choose when yo listen to good journalists. You either listen to them all or not at all. Why is it we can listen to Jamie Jackson if he criticises, but not if he points out this bit of news. You were literally lauding journalists two pages back.

Did you actually read the Jamie Jackson article properly? Nowhere does he say conclusively that Mourinho has backed Martial extending his contract. All he said was ‘the board are confident of Mourinho’s support’ with no supporting evidence as to the sudden reversal of his stance. Sounds pretty much like the club briefing to me.

Personally just think Mourinho has zero say over Martial anyways which can be seen from the summer transfer dealings. Board briefing journalists to try and dissuade the notion that they are basically completely ignoring the managers wishes.

Such a bizzare article to even put out. Wants him sold all summer. Martial does nothing of note in 3 games. Suddenly he is happy for Martial to stick around and extend his contract. The spin they try and put on it is hilarious.

Personally just think Mourinho has zero say over Martial anyways which can be seen from the summer transfer dealings. Board briefing journalists to try and dissuade the notion that they are basically completely ignoring the managers wishes.

Such a bizzare article to even put out. Wants him sold all summer. Martial does nothing of note in 3 games. Suddenly he is happy for Martial to stick around and extend his contract. The spin they try and put on it is hilarious.

He had tweeted ť previously but there you go.

So lets get this clear: journalists are good when they say things you want. But when they say things out don't agree with, its spin? You can't pick and choose.

It's not dissuading the notion, transfer control is moving away from the manager. They are literally hiring a technical director for this very notion. The board have been of the stance that he will not be sold unless he actively wants to force his way out. At no point was he even offered to any club. The manager role is switching to head coach. Shaw is next on the list too.

Delighted for Shaw! Don’t remember reading anything in the Summer that the club or Mourinho wanted to sell Martial.

On the England squad. Welbeck again wtf! Sancho from Dortmund should get a call up.

Last edited:
He had tweeted ť previously but there you go.

So lets get this clear: journalists are good when they say things you want. But when they say things out don't agree with, its spin? You can't pick and choose.

It's not dissuading the notion, transfer control is moving away from the manager. They are literally hiring a technical director for this very notion. The board have been of the stance that he will not be sold unless he actively wants to force his way out. At no point was he even offered to any club. The manager role is switching to head coach. Shaw is next on the list too.

Could you point me to the tweet? Cant seem to find it anywhere.

• Group H: Juventus, ** United **, Valencia, Young Boys
us and Pool very tough groups.
Not the worst group they could have got to be fair, nor is it the easiest, Juve should top the group with second place going to either United or Valencia (depending on if the defence can sort itself out).

Not the worst group they could have got to be fair, nor is it the easiest, Juve should top the group with second place going to either United or Valencia (depending on if the defence can sort itself out).

On the pitch at least every English side should be well happy with those groups.

Be very surprised personally if all 4 aren’t n the last 16.

Back