The Manchester United Thread

If we can't beat Burnley now we really are useless, they played midweek in Europa and have not looked good in PL either.
We should be beating them no matter what. But nothings a given. And them playing midweek makes no difference as I watched the game and they pretty much rested everyone.

nice little debate on talksport regarding jose.Personally i still think hes capable of turning it around although i do think he wont be here next season.Every manager has a shelf life,gio trappatoni was a great manager but towards the end he wasnt the same force.Its just a naturally occuring thing,all players and managers have a period of decline and maybe jose is having his.

#MUAcademy Under-23s: #MUFC v Stoke City (H) - Romero; Dalot, Poole, Williams, O'Connor; Garner, Hamilton, Burkart; Gomes, Bohui, Chong.

Subs: Kovar, Tanner, Whelan, Buffonge, Barlow.

If we can't beat Burnley now we really are useless, they played midweek in Europa and have not looked good in PL either.

I wouldn't worry, your manager is a top guy apparently.

[video=youtube;VjnvtIMDphc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnvtIMDphc[/video]

nice little debate on talksport regarding jose.Personally i still think hes capable of turning it around although i do think he wont be here next season.Every manager has a shelf life,gio trappatoni was a great manager but towards the end he wasnt the same force.Its just a naturally occuring thing,all players and managers have a period of decline and maybe jose is having his.

Yanno Trap is a brilliant analogy. But not through guys having a shelf life as much as them being too stubborn to adapt and the game just passing them by. The complete polar opposite to the glaring example still kicking around at Utd Ferguson and how he adapted as the game evolved each generation to be the standard bearer for all Utd managers that he is.

Happened with Trapattoni. One of the most decorated and respected Italian coaches of all time. Master of ‘catanachio’ who took that on to another defensive level tactically. Then Sacchi tips up and completely revolutionalises Italian footy with his exapnasive, attacking game and it more or less rendered Trap, who refused to adapt and accept the game had moved forward to a whole other new, exciting level, more or less extinct.

Same way your fella doesn’t have that vital yet understated leadership characteristic, humility, to look at himself and realise this isn’t 2005 any more and you can’t come close to winning the league trying to play that way. Progressive managers like Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino are just leaving him behind as he stubbornly digs in even more. Which leads into the new generation of players and the multi- dimensional way they’re brought up and used. He can’t adapt there to work with them. I was thinking about that with the Fabinho talk of late and him being held out, in part, as he’s not tactically used to being more than what he’s been in Monaco. A traditional DM. You oook at Pep playing players deeper so he has playmakers all over the park to move the team forward. Rather than just in the final third. The same with Klopp with the amount of players we’ve changed positions and coaches to be far more versatile. Pochettino similar. Whilst Hoses still stuck on compartmentalising. Matic is Matic. He has his role and he’s comfortable with that. Where as one of the newer generation, a multi-faceted player like Pogba who can do 5 or 6 different things on the pitch he struggles to deal with and fit him in where he’d be doubtless killing it at Ciry or L’pool.

Even from his last title at Chelsea the games moved in immeasurably. But he’s stayed stubborn to his past success. You’re talking 90 points now just to be in the conversation for the title. Last season’s 81 is just nowhere near now. It’s absilutely mad but that’s how high City have raised the bar. They dropped points in 6 ****** games last year. SIX! So let’s be kind and say that might increase to 8 this year. Utd have dropped 2 games already. 3 with the GD. That leaves VERY little room to play. You have to be almost perfect right through. Lose at Burnley Sunday, coupled with L’pool and City wins, and you can as god as write off the league season in terms of the top spot. Which is utterly mad after 4 games but that’s the level City have taken this to. Whilst he still thinks he can play and win it like it’s 2005 or so because ‘I’ve won more PL than any other current manager’ or whatever the latest embarrassing rant is.

Just tarnishing what should be a great legacy down to an egotistical refusal to adapt and not move with the times in a game that’s conoletely leaving him behind.

‘Kinell that’s full of typos.

But I’m out on my moby so the heck I’m going through it. :)

Yanno Trap is a brilliant analogy. But not through guys having a shelf life as much as them being too stubborn to adapt and the game just passing them by. The complete polar opposite to the glaring example still kicking around at Utd Ferguson and how he adapted as the game evolved each generation to be the standard bearer for all Utd managers that he is.

Happened with Trapattoni. One of the most decorated and respected Italian coaches of all time. Master of ‘catanachio’ who took that on to another defensive level tactically. Then Sacchi tips up and completely revolutionalises Italian footy with his exapnasive, attacking game and it more or less rendered Trap, who refused to adapt and accept the game had moved forward to a whole other new, exciting level, more or less extinct.

Same way your fella doesn’t have that vital yet understated leadership characteristic, humility, to look at himself and realise this isn’t 2005 any more and you can’t come close to winning the league trying to play that way. Progressive managers like Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino are just leaving him behind as he stubbornly digs in even more. Which leads into the new generation of players and the multi- dimensional way they’re brought up and used. He can’t adapt there to work with them. I was thinking about that with the Fabinho talk of late and him being held out, in part, as he’s not tactically used to being more than what he’s been in Monaco. A traditional DM. You oook at Pep playing players deeper so he has playmakers all over the park to move the team forward. Rather than just in the final third. The same with Klopp with the amount of players we’ve changed positions and coaches to be far more versatile. Pochettino similar. Whilst Hoses still stuck on compartmentalising. Matic is Matic. He has his role and he’s comfortable with that. Where as one of the newer generation, a multi-faceted player like Pogba who can do 5 or 6 different things on the pitch he struggles to deal with and fit him in where he’d be doubtless killing it at Ciry or L’pool.

Even from his last title at Chelsea the games moved in immeasurably. But he’s stayed stubborn to his past success. You’re talking 90 points now just to be in the conversation for the title. Last season’s 81 is just nowhere near now. It’s absilutely mad but that’s how high City have raised the bar. They dropped points in 6 ****** games last year. SIX! So let’s be kind and say that might increase to 8 this year. Utd have dropped 2 games already. 3 with the GD. That leaves VERY little room to play. You have to be almost perfect right through. Lose at Burnley Sunday, coupled with L’pool and City wins, and you can as god as write off the league season in terms of the top spot. Which is utterly mad after 4 games but that’s the level City have taken this to. Whilst he still thinks he can play and win it like it’s 2005 or so because ‘I’ve won more PL than any other current manager’ or whatever the latest embarrassing rant is.

Just tarnishing what should be a great legacy down to an egotistical refusal to adapt and not move with the times in a game that’s conoletely leaving him behind.

jose has to be respected if only for the trophies he has won but this three seasons and out business worries me and leaves no confidence he will be around next season.Would i prefer to watch a more attractive team every week?of course,but most utd would accept trophies in the current manner but i just dont see it.I said it a while ago,i just dont think this group of players suits what mourinho needs to succeed.jst my personal view.It really kills me to see my seven year old boy watch in awe as he follows liverpool,spurs and city despite him being a utd fan and theres me rambling on to him about the good ol days of giggs,cantona,scholes etc.......younger people see only whats happening today and there realy is no comparison.

Last edited:
"Forget the football for a second, Jose Mourinho has just gone over and spent 10 minutes with fans sat in the disabled section watching the U23s tonight. All thrilled. Fair play. Really nice touch."

Yeah, same story with Capello. Watching Germans dismantle his beloved 4-4-2 was just depressing. Although if that Lampard goal was called....

"Forget the football for a second, Jose Mourinho has just gone over and spent 10 minutes with fans sat in the disabled section watching the U23s tonight. All thrilled. Fair play. Really nice touch."
A fair few first trainers there as well. Just started watching it. Loving watching Angel Gomes rip Charlie Adam a new one :) first impressions of Dalot are good after 20 mins. Looks quick, good in the air and has a good cross.

1-0 Utd after 37 mins. Gomes with a short corner into the box. Burkart lays it back to Gomes. Skins a player and curls it into the top corner. Great goal. Dalot has a wicked cross on him I’ve noticed 2/3 quality ones across the 6 yr box at pace. Garner and Gomes been absolute joy to watch so far!!!

1-0 HT. could of been 3. Best half of footy I’ve seen the u23s/21s play for about 3yrs. Gomes and Garner running the game hard to believe Gomes is 18 today and Garner just turned 17. Chong and Burkart looking dangerous. And good early signs for Dalot.

Terrible by the lino! Hamilton plays a great ball to Burkart who is about a yard onside. Takes its superbly on his right then slots it home with his left :(

finished 1-0. Good performance.

Last edited:
Normally you would think Burnley is a tough place to go but we all knew that they would struggle playing the Europa League and juggling league games as well. Made more obvious by their poor start to the league. So now is the best time to play them. Normally we would be happy going there expecting a hard game with a 1-0 or 2-1 win but after them playing in Europe and our performance against Spurs, if we play with that intensity again (and we should do and go all out after that reception from the fans after Spurs) i cant see anything other than at least a 3-0 win for us. Maybe 5-0. But we need to play like we did against Spurs. Anything less than that effort will be a hard game. Burnley are out now so they know their 100% focus is the league from now on. Hopefully we catch them cold this week after the Europa and put in a proper performance.

After the way we played against Spurs and the reaction of the fans and Mourinho, if we dont come out all guns blazing against Burnley and run them off the pitch then there really isnt any hope for us.

Jeez Dalots a beast! Tall and physique like Ronaldo. Loved how he grew on confidence as the game went on. Throwing a few step overs in there running down the flank. Really noticed how tacticaly astute he was for a young defender when Stoke started putting us under a bit of pressure. Him and Shaw on either flank(6)

I wouldn't worry, your manager is a top guy apparently.

[video=youtube;VjnvtIMDphc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnvtIMDphc[/video]

Don’t forget, finishing 2nd last season (19 points off the top) is one of the greatest ever achievements.

Jeez Dalots a beast! Tall and physique like Ronaldo. Loved how he grew on confidence as the game went on. Throwing a few step overs in there running down the flank. Really noticed how tacticaly astute he was for a young defender when Stoke started putting us under a bit of pressure. Him and Shaw on either flank(6)
To be fair, out of 'all' the signings we made in the summer, Dalot's was the one that excited me the most.

To be fair, out of 'all' the signings we made in the summer, Dalot's was the one that excited me the most.
Yeah can’t wait to see him more. So powerful and quick. Expect him to be easing out Tony V at some point in the season.

He's not even acting as badly as people seem to want to believe, nothing like his Chelsea latter days so far. Sure he's made some comments here and there that can be deemed unnecessary but lets be honest there is a massive media agenda against him generally.

Having said all that, he is under pressure for obvious reasons but I still think there is far more to our problems than just Jose.

It's times like this you realise the genius of Fergie, he could get the best consistently out of players that aren't great on paper at least. But there are managers like Pochettino and Klopp who are also doing that right now, Mourinho I think isn't helping himself by changing the system every week and the lineup constantly. Although managers like Fergie rotated a lot, he always had a preferred 11 for the most part.

1-0 to Borough. Sloppy from Utd who switched off having a player down injured. Borough carried on and exposed the big gap left by our defence for an easy finish. Shame as we have dominated the opening 20 creating some good chances.

Gotta put that in Greenwood! Lovely one touch play round the box with Puigmal sliding Greenwood in one on one. Hits it to close to the keeper with plenty of goal to aim at. Should be 1-1.

u16s on the other pitch 3-1 atm.

Great goal. Utd win a contested drop ball. Falls to Elanga who dribbled past a couple then slots in Puigmal who slots it home beautifully in the bottom corner.

2-1 Borough. Utd giving the ball away playing out from the back under pressure from Borough. Gifting them an easy chance :(

FFS same mistake again 3-1 Utd give the ball away playing out from the back. Gifting Borough a third.

Borough down to 10. Terrible 2 footed challenge on Puigmal looks a bad one. Lucky not a leg break!

Last edited:
Back