The Manchester United Thread

Optimism that Jose will turn it around is fine. Its just that it has never actually happened in his managerial history otherwise, he would have stayed at a job longer than just 3 seasons.

Doesn't help that he always chaanging the lineup. I'm a big beliver in having a stable defensive partnership, you can't blame the players for lack of defensive organization if backline goes through revolution every single week.

Obviously there is no stone cold truth to this, but there is rumours starting to circle that players are starting to grow unhappy about being brought in and out of the team virtually every week. It certainly is odd, the likes of Bailly (supposedly injured) Pereira and Martial wasn't even in the squad for Spurs.

Doesn't help that he always chaanging the lineup. I'm a big beliver in having a stable defensive partnership, you can't blame the players for lack of defensive organization if backline goes through revolution every single week.

100%. They are going to make silly mistakes until they gel and can read each other.

Manchester United loanee Kieran O'Hara is the hero as his three penalty saves see #Silkmen into the Third Round of the Carabao Cup for the first time in their history!

Walsall 3-3 #Silkmen (1-3 Pens)

Humility is the word you’re looking for Alc.

The main leadership quality he’s never possessed. It’s everyones fault BAR his own. He was sound Monday when Shreeves was being cringelly sycophantic toward him. Then you get the ultra defensive, utterly embarrassing B/S mode when he doesn’t get what he wants to hear the main press conference. (Still wondering which route he goes back into town that takes him over 2 hours. Does he go via r’s? But I digress ..... )

Can’t change when you can never see any wrong in yourself and just revert back to titles won years ago in a game that’s completely passing him by. From his negativity to his complete inability to deal with today’s players from each ever changing generation.

Whilst the media annoy me as much as the next guy, if we never questioned or had a negative opinion of those in superior positions, we'd be still in the stone-ages. Are most sports journalist arrogant ****** who think they're better than they are? Without doubt. Should the fact they've never managed a football club discredit their views on the game they love, or anyone's for that matter? No chance. I'll continue to sit in my livingroom at midnight rewatching extended highlights/full match with a beer in one hand, and shouting at my laptop exactly where Jose went wrong and why he should hire me as his #2.

..... and shouting at my laptop exactly where Jose went wrong and why he should hire me as his #2.

Simon Jordan trying to keep himself relevant aside, that’s something badly missing mate. A solid, proper Utd man as a #2 like a Mike Phelan who wouldn’t be scared to stand-up to him and say ‘Boss. You’re acting like a petulant ***** and it’s destroying the team. Sort this pathetic **** out with Woodward and his guys. Stop picking fights with everyone and anyone, check your ego and put the club and fans first. This is Manchester F United. Not some plaything for José Mourinho.’

Or something.

Simon Jordan trying to keep himself relevant aside, that’s something badly missing mate. A solid, proper Utd man as a #2 like a Mike Phelan who wouldn’t be scared to stand-up to him and say ‘Boss. You’re acting like a petulant ***** and it’s destroying the team. Sort this pathetic **** out with Woodward and his guys. Stop picking fights with everyone and anyone, check your ego and put the club and fans first. This is Manchester F United. Not some plaything for José Mourinho.’

Or something.

Are you bigging me to apply?

Yeah, I remember Caraggher had a good piece on this. Once the rot starts and relationships start to break there's no turning it around and most managers in his career stayed for a year too long.

That is good news if it gores through.
I wonder how many other players are thinking along the same lines though. "Get through this period as my contract's longer than Mou's"

United never intended to sell Martial. And Jamie Jackson reports that Mourinho is happy for the club to extend the contract.

So the only thing you can objectively take from it is that United want him to stay, which was always the case. He's only 22. Shaw seems to be next too

Last edited:
I'm so confused with this club right now, Martial looks like the furthest thing from a United player right now under Mourinho and now we see reports that he will sign a contract. He is literally the last person I expect to do that now. I just find this really confusing to be coming out now of all time.

As much as I want to think positively about it, the only reason he is signing a contract now is because he will make more money and will not be able to leave this summer anyway.

This is a guy who has literally been crushed, he's not doing it due to happiness or relationship with the club lets be honest. It was only start of this summer he wanted to leave, he probably realises that he can't leave now and will earn more money.

Last edited:
I'm so confused with this club right now, Martial looks like the furthest thing from a United player right now under Mourinho and now we see reports that he will sign a contract. He is literally the last person I expect to do that now. I just find this really confusing to be coming out now of all time.

As much as I want to think positively about it, the only reason he is signing a contract now is because he will make more money and will not be able to leave this summer anyway.

This is a guy who has literally been crushed, he's not doing it due to happiness or relationship with the club lets be honest. It was only start of this summer he wanted to leave, he probably realises that he can't leave now and will earn more money.

His contract ends next year he could leave on a free if he was desperate, or hand in a transfer request. He's done neither. Because the club have always wanted him to stay. He didn't get sold because Woodward refused to countenance that. So yeah he would be doing it for relationship with the club. If the club simply wanted to sell him next summer they would just activate the year extension

It's not about being positive or negative (I don't understand why people think in binary on this forum and in football in general, where has all the nuance gone?) it's about thinking about it logically. A 5 year deal benefits who the most: the club because they tie down a quality asset: the player if he wants his future to be there.

If Martial doesn't want to be here, there is no benefit to signing it, because his hand in terms of moving is strongest right now for next summer. Which tells you that if he signs a 5 year deal he really wants to stay here.

Now why would he sign that deal if he doesn't get on with Mourinho? Either he is trying to patch things up with him, or his relationship with the club is strong enough that he can get past the issue with Mourinho. If it was neither of those options, he wouldn't sign.

Last edited:
Or the bad theory is that these are done behind Mou back and they have promised to Martial that Mourinho will not be the manager for long.

Back