The Manchester United Thread

Back in the England squad after missing the World Cup, Luke Shaw credited Jose Mourinho for toughening his mentality.

Luke Shaw believes the public criticism he previously received from Jose Mourinho has helped him become stronger mentally after the Manchester United defender earned an England recall.

Shaw missed out on Gareth Southgate's World Cup squad, the full-back reduced to the role of spectator as England reached the semi-finals in Russia.

The former Southampton defender has struggled to realise his potential at Old Trafford, with his development at the club hindered by a double leg fracture suffered in 2015.

He made his return during Mourinho's first season in charge, but his performances during the Portuguese's tenure have regularly drawn the ire of the former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter boss.

However, Shaw has made a strong start to the 2018-19 campaign and scored in their opening 2-1 win over Leicester City.

His form has seen him earn a call-up from Southgate for UEFA Nations League clash with Spain and a subsequent friendly with Switzerland. Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli will join Shaw in the squad having been added to it on Tuesday.

Speaking at a media conference, Shaw credited Mourinho with helping him gain a recall.

He told reporters of his relationship with his club manager: "Of course, it was a tough two years, but I think mentally I've come out stronger, made me want to prove to him that I can do what sometimes he said I couldn't.

"At this stage I feel really good and just focusing on what's to come, doing things right and training hard.

"I think he got frustrated with me because he knew I could be better and maybe at times I look back and think he could be right. But I don't want to focus on that.

"I spoke with him before the season and he said he wanted me to stay and fight for my place, and that motivated me a lot in the off-season. I've come back, played pre-season games, got my fitness fully and it's all good.

"Of course [he had] a lot [of an impact in the recall], he put his trust into me at the start of the season and at times it would've been easy for him to say: 'I want to sell him and I don't want him here anymore'.

"But I think he's always believed in me and I always believed in myself. You could say he's had a big part, but I think personally I've done a lot too to get into his team and into his trust."

Asked about how it felt watching England's surprising progress under Southgate at the World Cup, Shaw replied: "That made me want it more, because obviously the World Cup is the biggest stage for any footballer, it was wonderful seeing how well we did, how far we got was brilliant.

"It was gutting to not be there, but I understand it was the right choice from Gareth. It motivated me more to work hard."

^ Apparently he almost lost his leg back then too. He's had such a hard time of it and he's come out the other end, delighted for the lad. Touch wood he goes on to be the player everyone knows he can be.

Full article:

Luke Shaw has revealed he nearly lost his right leg after a horror injury three years ago. And the Manchester United left-back, recalled to the England squad for this week's games with Spain and Switzerland after 17 months, admitted he considered quitting the game during the long struggle to recover.

Shaw, who has played just seven minutes of international football since the double leg-break, said: “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t sometimes think about stopping playing football.

“But I had a lot of good people around me - friends and family who helped me through it. No one knows. I was really close to losing my leg."

He has now revealed that, months later, a doctor admitted they almost had to amputate.
“I didn’t know that until six months later, when the doctor told me. I would never have stopped, even if he’d said there was a worry, I would have tried. But I only found out six months later.”

Shaw, now 23, was out of action for 11 months after a dreadful challenge from PSV Eindhoven defender Hector Moreno during a Champions League group game in September 2015.

It was the United medical team’s decision to abandon plans to get him home by air afterwards that saved his leg.

He explained: “At the time, they were thinking about flying me back. If I’d flown back, I would probably have lost my leg, because of the blood clots in the leg — I got two scars down my leg where they had to cut it open and pull them out, the clots.

Shaw's form has been a highlight of an iffy start to the season for Manchester United
“I feel really strong now and my right leg is as it was before the break.”

Shaw has had to endure a tough two period at United under Jose Mourinho but has earned his England recall after an impressive start to this season.

He maintains nothing comes close to the **** he has come through since that fateful game in Holland.

He is now making up for lost time after playing just seven minutes for England since his injury. Asked about the specific moment he considered quitting, he said: “Not as in from the negative comments. That was during my leg break. I had a very serious injury. It was very tough at times.

“I never sat there speaking with my family saying I wanted to finish. It was just the fact it was very hard for me. It went on for a long period, doing the same things every day. I couldn’t do anything else because of the break.

Shaw admits he has changed diet and cut out "silly things" he was doing after returning to England fold
“It was frustrating, but I came out the other side.

“I’d say my mum and dad have always been there for me, through thick and thin. We’ve had ups and downs. They go through it as well. We’ve been through it together.

“Right now, it’s going up. I want it to keep going up, and keep enjoying my football again, playing and having fun.”

Just been reading James Garner captained England’s u18s in a 3-0 win over Holland last night. Mason Greenwood scored also. Averaging a goal every 60mins since the second half of last season.

Bouhafsi & Ramano both some articles similar to this today on Martial.

As of last week, the Red Devils have offered the 21-year-old a new improved deal, one worth €9-10 million a year and which would keep the Frenchman at the Old Trafford way past the summer of 2019, when his current deal expires.

Despite playing a bit-part role under José Mourinho, it appears that the Old Trafford side is convinced that it can persuade the former Monaco man to stay.

Bouhafsi & Ramano both some articles similar to this today on Martial.

As of last week, the Red Devils have offered the 21-year-old a new improved deal, one worth €9-10 million a year and which would keep the Frenchman at the Old Trafford way past the summer of 2019, when his current deal expires.

Despite playing a bit-part role under José Mourinho, it appears that the Old Trafford side is convinced that it can persuade the former Monaco man to stay.

Doesn't matter until he's signed it. Same with DDG

ENGLAND UNDER 18: Result- England 3-0 Russia.

Another game another #MUFC player captaining the side. This time @EthanLaird1 has the armband in this victory.

Shaw just cant catch a break, can he?

That's horrifically sad to see that type of injury to someone like Shaw who has had such a tough few years. I think it was mainly concussion rather than anything else but not sure really as didn't see a replay.

That's horrifically sad to see that type of injury to someone like Shaw who has had such a tough few years. I think it was mainly concussion rather than anything else but not sure really as didn't see a replay.
Hopefully it is just concussion as it will mean he should be back before the next United match. The challenge with the Spanish player didn't look to serious it was the way his head hit the turf that made matters worse.

Our starting XI...

Chamberlain; Harris, A. Turner (c), M.Turner, Smith; Galton, Devlin, James, Hanson; Zelem, Sigsworth

1f19a.png
Aston Villa
1f4cd.png
Boldmere St Michaels FC
1f551.png
15:00 BST#MUWomen

Utd take the lead after 9 mins. Lauren James with a lovely turn at the edge of the box beats her defender and drills it in low. First goal for the 16 year old :)

Wowzers!!! Lauren James again skins the CM then rifles one top corner from about 30yrds :O 2-0 after 23! Zelem running the show!

Wow 3-0 sigsworth. Interception from the kickoff. James plays it through sigsworth slots it home.

lmai 4-0 Zelem again winning it back from the kick off couple of nice passes and she’s in!

5-0 Sigsorth again after being played down the channel. Beats a couple of defenders and rifles it top left corner 33mins gone :)

6-0 Sigsworth hattrick. RB bombs down the wingvcuts inside. Slots it to Sigsworth who drops the shoulder then places bottom corner. 37 mins gone this is great!

7-0 Sigsworth. Some nice one touch passing down the right. Cross comes in from substitute Mollie Green. Sigsworth guides it him 47 mins gone.

zelem off for Ella Toone 52 mins.

8-0 Hanson on the break. Score board still showing 7 they’ve lost count :P

9-0 Hanson dribbles down the right cuts in on her left and shoots into the bottom corner.

10-0 Hanson cuts in from the right squares it to Sigsworth who toepokes it home. 69 mins gone

11-0 sub Mollie Green in on the act with a good effort edge of the box. Still 25 to play.

12-0 sub Toone scores the rebound off the post from Hanson’s long range effort

Last edited:
Well fecking **** that was impressive! 12-0 away to Villa who won’t even be one of the worst teams in this league. Also with 5 of our best players not even starting. Could of been 18-0 if not for there keeper.

Played fantastic stuff! Passing, movement, wing play and one touch football. Always played out from the back no long balls. And love the fact that despite the score the staff and players were demanding more of each other.

Impressive even more so considering we only been together less than 3 months!

James Garner captain's the England U18s to there 3rd Victory in a row beating France 2-1..
With
James Garner
Ethan Laird
Mason Greenwood x 1gl
3 Man utd players in the team. .
Well done lads

Greenwood won Golden Boot and Str of the tournament

Last edited:
Back