The Manchester United Thread

Lindelöf easily MOTM tonight. You could redo tell the difference in quality and coaching tonight from where we should be. Both in terms of players and play style.

A week before the season in response to myself .....

Think your over egging our so called disaster of an up and coming season tbh! Think we have more than enough to be challenging and being closest to City again.

It's Scouse, when has he not over egged anything?

Yanno, looking at the first quarter of the season, I think I well ‘under’ egged it lads.

I can not take Mourinho seriously anymore, he raves on about Juventus and their quality/stability. What on earth does he need to be successful then?????? He has had hundreds of millions, there are several signings of yours that you don't even play in starting 11. If you want more quality in midfield why not select Fred? Why even buy Fred, Bailly and moan about needing more???????

*facepalm*

Excuses, excuses, this is all Mourinho does.... the team should be miles ahead from where it is now in terms of identity, style and team cohesion generally.

Mourinho you don't need any more money to make more of a game than that yesterday! Like Ferdinand said on BT afterwards those Juventus players probably went off afterwards how easy it was because our players didn't hardly put any sustained pressure on them throughout the game.

Juventus have more quality than United blah blah **** off with that Mou, even if it's true you've had the time and money.

I think that's a bit harsh. Jose has done poorly so far, but we're talking Juventus here, arguably best managed club in whole of Europe throughout last 6-7 years. Marotta has done a marvelous job in turning them around. They do great business, they improve almost every year, they maintain stable, cohesive squad, players love it there, and so on and so forth. Meanwhile United have been an absolute mess, and not all of that is on Mourinho.

I think that's a bit harsh. Jose has done poorly so far, but we're talking Juventus here, arguably best managed club in whole of Europe throughout last 6-7 years. Marotta has done a marvelous job in turning them around. They do great business, they improve almost every year, they maintain stable, cohesive squad, players love it there, and so on and so forth. Meanwhile United have been an absolute mess, and not all of that is on Mourinho.

Nothing harsh about it mate, Mourinho is a walking embarrassment.... how can he state how Juventus have so much more quality and stability when this team is literally the spine he has bought. Matic... Pogba.... Fred...... this is the midfield Mourinho bought so why moan now? The defence also is a mess but that's his own doing as well. Lukaku.... this is literally his team...... would one more CB so drastically change us into a better footballing team? Not in **** would it under Mourinho.

Juventus are a better run club undoubtedly, but I'll simply ask you this.... if they went to Stamford Bridge yesterday to play Chelsea would they of made more of a game of it? The answer is probably, that's a team that isn't run better than United but managed a whole lot better within 3 months of a tenure under Sarri.

Last edited:
Chelsea actually aren't a badly run club, it just seems that way because of all the in's & out's in terms of managers. Think I saw a stat somewhere that they've never went consecutive trophyless seasons since their first PL title in 04-05. Obviously you'd like managerial sustainability and maybe a bit of extra transfer market support for the manager coming off a title winning season, but it's hard to argue when their model consistently wins and challenges for trophies.

On your current debate, you're both right. Jose has little right to complain about team quality when he's had such backing, but he could've been backed a little further with Alderweireld tbf, but as you say, Alderweireld solves none of the problems on show last night, as good as he is. There's been a lot of embarrassment at this club since Sir Alex's retirement, and nobody is without some degree of blame for that, Sir Alex included.

Chelsea actually aren't a badly run club, it just seems that way because of all the in's & out's in terms of managers. Think I saw a stat somewhere that they've never went consecutive trophyless seasons since their first PL title in 04-05. Obviously you'd like managerial sustainability and maybe a bit of extra transfer market support for the manager coming off a title winning season, but it's hard to argue when their model consistently wins and challenges for trophies.

On your current debate, you're both right. Jose has little right to complain about team quality when he's had such backing, but he could've been backed a little further with Alderweireld tbf, but as you say, Alderweireld solves none of the problems on show last night, as good as he is. There's been a lot of embarrassment at this club since Sir Alex's retirement, and nobody is without some degree of blame for that, Sir Alex included.

That wasn't me digging out Chelsea for being badly run, but the chop and change of managers always has an impact. There is a reason for that and we'd be foolish to think that a lot of this can't be fixed under a new manager.

it is pitiful how bad we actually are into 2 and a half years of a tenure, there is no solid defence, no style, no identity. That's mainly if not all on Mourinho for me. For the record I blame the board for a few things as well but Mourinho is performing way under par that it should be for a club like United.

I'm just sick of his excuses to be honest, he really doesn't have anything to complain about other than perhaps a CB last summer. But Maguire or Toby wouldn't of fixed this like you say. We could have a central partnership of Chiellini and Bonucci... we'd still play the same lifeless dull way.

zz mou is a **** never going to change so let it go life is to short to worry about him

That wasn't me digging out Chelsea for being badly run, but the chop and change of managers always has an impact. There is a reason for that and we'd be foolish to think that a lot of this can't be fixed under a new manager.

it is pitiful how bad we actually are into 2 and a half years of a tenure, there is no solid defence, no style, no identity. That's mainly if not all on Mourinho for me. For the record I blame the board for a few things as well but Mourinho is performing way under par that it should be for a club like United.

I'm just sick of his excuses to be honest, he really doesn't have anything to complain about other than perhaps a CB last summer. But Maguire or Toby wouldn't of fixed this like you say. We could have a central partnership of Chiellini and Bonucci... we'd still play the same lifeless dull way.

He's failed to create an identity. We gave him the first 6-8 games and halfway through Europe. Europe was his make or break for me, and he's failed it. Need to move him on.

I definitely expect him to get the boot if you won't make it out of the group.

I think it'll come down to probability of Champs League next season.

If we drop out this season, but go into Europa League, it might be worth keeping him on in the hope he wins it.

I haven't done the math, but to the corporate mind, is it better to get knocked out in the first round of Champs League, or to reach the final of Europa League (and possibly win it?)

Trying to think like the board here. The further we get from the top four domestically, the closer to Mou getting sacked I reckon.

I think it'll come down to probability of Champs League next season. .....

You still make nottin the Europa even with the increased money the last few years compared to just being in the CL grouos mate.

But I make you right on the quoted. Woodward’s tied to him after the ridiculous early extension so in all likelyhood nothing would hapoen until the backend of the season at the earliest and how that 4th place is playing out for you.

Last edited:
I think it'll come down to probability of Champs League next season.

If we drop out this season, but go into Europa League, it might be worth keeping him on in the hope he wins it.

I haven't done the math, but to the corporate mind, is it better to get knocked out in the first round of Champs League, or to reach the final of Europa League (and possibly win it?)

Trying to think like the board here. The further we get from the top four domestically, the closer to Mou getting sacked I reckon.

Nah, **** that. He's had all the support, even accounting for a semi useless Woodward. We're not making anywhere near enough of what we have. And we should be pushing in all fronts. He's got to go

Like I said months ago, by the New Year, United will have a new head coach.

Nah, **** that. He's had all the support, even accounting for a semi useless Woodward. We're not making anywhere near enough of what we have. And we should be pushing in all fronts. He's got to go
Can't disagree with everything you say here - but that's with my fan-head on.

Trying to think with my Corporate head-on, it will be too expensive to get rid of him UNLESS we lose out on Champs League next season.

Can't disagree with everything you say here - but that's with my fan-head on.

Trying to think with my Corporate head-on, it will be too expensive to get rid of him UNLESS we lose out on Champs League next season.

It's a lot more expensive lose out on champions league than it is to fire him, let alone lose champions league and then fire him

Back