The Manchester United Thread

It's a lot more expensive lose out on champions league than it is to fire him, let alone lose champions league and then fire him
As I understand it, the longer it's left, the cheaper it will be to get rid of him although I don't know the details of the the early termination clause in this case, the payout is usually determined by the length of time left on the contract. Assuming it is a simple payout of lost earnings, that could be 30mil if sacked now, 15 mil if sacked next June - quite a significant amount, even for United.

Then factor in potential earnings with the Champions League on top - it's not just a simple 'sack him know will cost xx-mil but we MIGHT get yy-mil next year.

Selling that to Shareholders, and the potential impact on the share price (remember we are listed on the NYSE and have rules and financial regulations to follow there) which will also then impact the debt management and 'value' of the club etc etc etc.

Sorry - corporate head on again.

As a fan, I would say get rid now, I have been saying that for a while as a fan, but a lot of what goes on in the boardroom does make some sense. The early contract extension offered would have been as much about share prices as it was about football. Markets love stability. This will also be a huge deciding factor on if and when that contract is terminated.

Mourinho is on about 15mill a year until 2020 with an optional extension of 1 yr (not sure who has the option) so, even if the termination is simply lost earnings, say 2 years at 15mil, plus one at 50% for the option = 37.5Mil payout. Wait a year, it drops to 22.5mil. But this is a basic minimum I would guess.

Mourinho on Ibrahimovic
(Will you sign him?) No. No.

Mourinho asked about Lukaku
I always feel, I always feel that every game. One day will be and one day he will score and one day his confidence levels will be back to normal, which clearly they are not there but I always feel that.

Other injury news
All of them national team. We play against Newcastle and we go to the National Team period in a good situation and then after two weeks we lost Dalot In Portugal, Fellaini in Belgium, we lost Alexis with Chile, we lost who else? McTominay with Scotland. And some of them the National Team’s they were very professional with us and send the players back and we could start the process early - but some of them wouldn’t and they kept the players and we didn’t even know the dimension and nature of injuries so when the players arrive two days before Chelsea we have no idea of what is going on.

Lingard injury update
Yes, he came from the World Cup with that problem, he thought wrongly that the holiday period would bring things to normality, then he thought wrongly that keep working or start working would improve and then he felt in an impossible situation to play football.

So now he’s going back and to do the work to try and be 100% and in this moment he’s almost there because of the team’s needs, can he help us in the next match, that is the questions we have to answer tomorrow or if we wait one more week of stability for the work so he’s almost there.

Stick with Lukaku?
Well against Juventus to give him a break, I don’t think Carrick can play as a striker, so against Juventus or we play with the players that we did or we decide to give a rest to Lukaku, then Rashford, who plays as a winger?

We are not in the best situation to try to think about resting players or try to find solutions, the solutions is to play the players we have.

Have been away for few days so late for the after game posts. I understand that one players should not give so much influence on team, but Pogba is baddest apple in ur team. I would rather get rid of him than Mourinho. He says he is in love with united, his old club etc etc, but he does not show it.

When Juve game started, they showed the players in the tunnel. Ronaldo who was a pillar of United etc was so professional and focused on game. He maybe shake 1-2 hands with former staff. But Pogba just ran around hugging Juve players like this is some reunion party. From there u could now it he will be not in the game. The amount of times he just backed off with no pressure on opposite, even **** Mata was pressing with Lukaku. Yeah he had some good shots, but overall game was below par, no passion for team and be some kind of leader, like he tries for France. His stunts with media and attitude must affect so much in the dressing room and thus affecting overall performance of the team. I still think that Pogba and Sanchez where no where near the Jose transfers and purely marketing. Jose has his fault and takes most of the blame on him, but there must be bigger picture affecting that is not only done by Jose.

There must be some revamp in the back-office, sack Jose and really consider selling Pogba.

Small clip i saw on reddit for one of the attacks.
https://i.imgur.com/VrdTLxG.gifv

So to conclude it :D I think his tenure has been made more harder because of the influence Pogba has. Every decision about him will affect somehow the team, fans and board.

I don't know how you can see from his attitude how he will play during the match. Every player has a different character. Some prefer to be super focused on themself and be left alone and others prefer some distractions.

It's not like Maradonna would play bad when he was juggling with the ball.

At Molineux Stadium
Kick off at 7pm
Live on MUTV

Wolves are top. And we will jump above them with a win. Happy with this! Get in Mason lad :)
Mason Greenwood making U23 debut tonight for #mufc. Tahith Chong starting, too.

#MUAcademy U23s: Wolves (A) - Kovar; Tanner, R. Williams, Poole, O'Connor; Gomes, Garner, Hamilton; Chong, Greenwood, Bohui.

Subs: Woolston, Warren, Whelan, Barlow, Buffonge.

1-0 wolves scrappy goal. Utd struggling with the 352.

1-1 just after half time. Great link up play by Gomes and Greenwood. Greenwood with a great finish with his right after a good ball through from Gomes. The lad just can’t stop :)

2-1 Wolves. Tanner gets hacked down from behind by the Wolves winger. No free kick given for some very strange reason...... the winger dribbles past a couple of Utd players who have half stopped expecting a foul. And he rifles it into the top corner from 20 yards out. Red been letting Wolves get away with murder this half!

FT 2-1. Absolute joke! Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner all stepped up big time second half. Kept going despite the ref letting Wolves get away with just pure thuggish play. Blatant pens denied at the end. And countless challenges that could of been cards just waved on.

Last edited:
I don't know what's worse the fact that Mourinho is now comparing our ambitions to Everton or the lack of our board's balls to do anything about it. Mourinho has been mocking this club all through this season and I'm ****** sick of how no one even does anything about it. Sure he has a right to free speech but surely someone in that boardroom realises how it is killing confidence and making Manchester United look like a shambles.

Preseason he started it all with the "I don't know why people would come and watch us"..... it has just continued and continued. Ed Woodward is a joke of a man so I wouldn't be surprised if he bottles sacking him again until it's too late.

I honestly haven't felt any passion from Mourinho lately and I'm getting more convinced now he just doesn't give a **** anymore.

Another example of Mourinho killing confidence that has gone under the radar a bit.... after Juventus match when asked why he didn't make any substitutions "I didn't have any players who could change the game"......... great way to totally mock players who you've spent £50m on like Fred and youngsters such as Chong. Even if he believes that is true, you don't say **** like that if you care about the players and squad harmony.

Another example of Mourinho killing confidence that has gone under the radar a bit.... after Juventus match when asked why he didn't make any substitutions "I didn't have any players who could change the game"......... great way to totally mock players who you've spent £50m on like Fred and youngsters such as Chong. Even if he believes that is true, you don't say **** like that if you care about the players and squad harmony.

Feel like he's waiting to get sacked. And the board are too cowardly to do so

Feel like he's waiting to get sacked. And the board are too cowardly to do so

Ideal for him, isn't it? He gets a humongous pay-off, and gets to say he wasn't backed by the board (will completely gloss over the insane money spent on other transfers).

Also, Mou was supposed to be this pragmatic, tough as nails guy. He's anything from pragmatic, from what I've seen, he seems a younger version of van Gaal. Too stubborn to try something new (Sanchez on the right, release shackles on the players). And FFS, he seems bent on wanting the squad to absorb pressure, when it is clear our squad is unable to do that. At all.

And ****, he has shot the confidence of our players so **** low. Bailly, who was arguably among the top 10 CB's in one season, goes to a CB who is wrecked, and short of confidence. Honestly, have not seen Mourinho properly develop a player in the time he was here. He gets the best out of them if they are playing well (or atleast tries to). But when their confidence seems shot, he seems to just give up (arguably, Sanchez and Lukaku can be considered the exception to that rule.)

He’ll happily take a pay off and put himself in the mix for Bayern, Madrid etc.

I couldn't take Mourinho at all seriously anymore when he got schooled by Frank Lampard..... no offence to him but a manager novice with a weaker team, yet they played the better football. All Mourinho excuses about this and that, he clearly didn't watch or take anything from his opposite in that game. Its not all about resources Mourinho, good coaching and man management can go a long way.

Last edited:
I think he himself will be annoyed how it's worked out. Can't help but feel being Sir Alex's successor was always his dream, and even though he didn't get that position directly, being the man the club turned to to re-steady the monstrous ship that Manchester United would've been close enough to that dream. Slightly unfortunate for his spell to coincide with the great Pep Guardiola, and his historic Man City team.

Also, Mou was supposed to be this pragmatic, tough as nails guy. He's anything from pragmatic, from what I've seen, he seems a younger version of van Gaal. Too stubborn to try something new (Sanchez on the right, release shackles on the players). A

Are we talking about the same LVG who played Ashley Young as striker?

The thoughts of everyone at Manchester United are with @LCFC and those affected by tonight’s incident at King Power Stadium. Tomorrow’s women’s game will be postponed till a later date.

rightly so! Tragic event really! Thoughts and prayers with everyone at the club :(

I read a comment on United youtube for Mourinho presser that we've only won 3 in 12 games...... that's ****** awful!

Mourinho being a bit of a **** if he doesn't drop Lukaku today, he needs a rest and has been terrible. Funny how he keeps playing him religiously but other players like pereira have one bad game and not too be seen again.

Back