The Manchester United Thread

The atmosphere surrounding hiring Mourinho was some of the weirdest **** I've ever seen. Thousands of people suddenly were talking how he is proven winner, guarantees trophies, always wins in 2nd season, plays beautiful attacking football, has a list of youth players, the list goes on.

And if you reminded them that just a week earlier they thought he is a despicable ***** who specializes in parking the bus and making childish drama, they'd throw a tantrum.

It was like some mass hypnosis.

Don’t think Matic has been a bad signing tbh. Was good first season. Not special the second but very consistent. I agree he’s been poor this season. Like 99% of the team tbh. We needed a good DM with experience after Carrick decided he was leaving. Not a flop by any means!

Congrats to Lindelöf for winning the Swedish golden ball. Happy for Young to sign an extra yr also.

Last edited:
Delighted for Lee O’Connor being called up to the Irish full team for the coming friendlies! Not long turned 18. Very very good talent either at CB or RB. Playing mostly at LB this season and doing very well. Shame we have no LB at u23 level so he can play his more natural positions. But good learning non the less for his development.

People got carried away, when he had a few decent opening games for United. He was on the decline before coming here despite what people say, it was always a short-term signing. Nothing surprising given it's Mourinho but honestly, it's beyond a joke.

-------------------------------

I'm still literally laughing to myself (painful laughter of course), how some of our fans are trying to justify that performance against City yesterday. The only chance we created was the opposition goalkeeper winning us a penalty, apart from that...... NOTHING AT ALL. Don\t care how good they are, you at least try and win the game ffs......... create something..... loose 4-0.... at least trying. Such a cowardly mentality Mourinho and the team had yesterday, it's nothing new either. We've totally lost any identity we once had as a club, the board don't give a sh*t seemingly.

------------------------------------

Rant forgiven.

I remember under Van Gaal, one of the former players, can;t remember who, I think it could have been Paddy Crerand commentating a game, who said "For decades, the Man Utd way was if we are going to lose, we are going to lose with ten men n the oppositions box, that is what United are supposed to be about"

Giggs once said, "We always knew, when The Gaffer tapped his watch and the injury time board went up, that we would get at least one more chance to score. Always. We just had to be sure we made it count."

We haven't had a United like that since Fergie left.

Last edited:
Chelsea, like Bayern and Scweinsteiger, certainly knew what they were doing there.

Bayern, yeah, Schweinsteiger was knackered. Not sure why we went for him then. Matic, on the other hand, was really good last season. Still feel he needs a spell on the sidelines, if for nothing else, but to get a rest. The tiredness is also probably contributing to the static performances.

And technically, Chelsea replaced Matic with Bakoyoko. I reckon that counts as a bigger disaster than us getting Matic.

Bastian wasn't a bad transfer, he played well when he was healthy. And he's still going strong in MLS which for all its faults is a pretty physical league.

If anything Mourinho is to blame for that whole shitshow. He didn't realize how reliant United are on Carrick. By the time he realized he made a mistake United were fighting for 6th place, while he only guy who could provide reliable rotation option for Carrick, was fed up with Jose and wanted out.

I truly hate Mourinho's double standards when it comes to selecting players. Pereira had one questionable game against Brighton (when it was generally a bad performance all round by the team) and he hasn't been seen since virtually at all. Matic however, has been rubbish for weeks if not months, yet is selected religiously every game.

It took Mourinho far too long dropping lukaku, he does exactly the same thing with his other favourite: Matic the static man. Had a few good games in a United shirt since he has come, been utterly rubbish most the time. I have no idea what he even adds to this team now.

Agree & disagree. He definitely deserves to be dropped as he’s been probably our worst performer this season, but think you’re exaggerating slightly RE: his Utd career. He’s been great for most parts of his 1 & a bit year here.

Agree & disagree. He definitely deserves to be dropped as he’s been probably our worst performer this season, but think you’re exaggerating slightly RE: his Utd career. He’s been great for most parts of his 1 & a bit year here.

But that the thing, if he performs badly and has no danger to be benched. Even if playing badly and completely exhausted like Lukaku, he still did not drop players.

Wonder if there is any stats showing how many players PL teams are using and shuffling with subs.

Bayern, yeah, Schweinsteiger was knackered. Not sure why we went for him then. Matic, on the other hand, was really good last season. Still feel he needs a spell on the sidelines, if for nothing else, but to get a rest. The tiredness is also probably contributing to the static performances.

And technically, Chelsea replaced Matic with Bakoyoko. I reckon that counts as a bigger disaster than us getting Matic.

You just reiterated the point.

Irrespective of who they replaced him with, they knew when he was coming to the downside of his career, needed to be moved on, and didn’t let sentiment (even though they framed it that way from Matics persoective allowing him to go where he wanted) stop them from gaining an excellent financial return.

Mourinho being a here-and-now, short term manager sorting his key position in the interim, or who Chelsea replaced him with is another discussion.

But from Chelsea’s perspective, they knew his worth to them was fast declining and sold as high as they could at the only time they could. Very good management.

They knew what they were doing.

To be fair, Matic is a weird cat. At his age you'd think the guy would have 6-7 seasons played at the world class level, and 2-3 more seasons ahead of him. But instead he's had rather average career, then he peaked for 2 years and seemed so good it was as if Makelele and Veira had a baby together. And then the decline came again. At 28. Without any serious injuries.

I wouldn't be surprised if dude was doping if I'm being honest.

Think Matic form this season is clouding peoples judgement. He’s been very consistent for 2 yrs and his first season he was very good! Needs a rest for sure/ rotating. Nothing like Schweinsteiger situation. Remember a lot of Chelsea fans being peed after being sold to us after a couple of good seasons. And especially the first.

It should be a sackable offence for any Manchester United manager to go into a derby and not have a shot on target apart from a penalty. Especially when our mentality was so clear with selection and everything that our aim was to not lose, forget winning. It's embarrassing, no amount of CB's or Mourinho's moaning will solve that he's a terrible fit for United.

Sooner he is gone the better, I'm genuinely shocked if they don't see how performances or style of football like that is ruining the brand as well.

The atmosphere surrounding hiring Mourinho was some of the weirdest **** I've ever seen. Thousands of people suddenly were talking how he is proven winner, guarantees trophies, always wins in 2nd season, plays beautiful attacking football, has a list of youth players, the list goes on.

And if you reminded them that just a week earlier they thought he is a despicable ***** who specializes in parking the bus and making childish drama, they'd throw a tantrum.

It was like some mass hypnosis.

Can see where you coming from, but, as an alternative viewpoint, a week before he signed fans hated him, din;t want him what a despicable *****! Wait what? We signed him? Well, if he is our manager we should get behind him.

Some serious revisionism going on around Matic

And Chelsea handled his departure horrendously. Bakayoko was *****, conte was furious Matic was sold and it took until Jorginho to even replace him. So 100m and two players.

I don't think that Matic's problems are related to tiredness. He's not being runed over by other players, but, instead, making positional mistakes and taking bad decisions. In the derby, before 5 min had passed he allowed a great pass from Fernandinho to find Bernardo behind his back. Matic is always doubtful when it comes to hold his position or attack the ball.

We can see this lack of purpose in some players during parts of the match, like they are just wandering around in the field. One can ask if it's a problem related to the coaching.

As for Chelsea, they signed Bakayoko and Drinkwater to take Matic's position. One season after, they have a midfield with Jorginho, Barkley, Kovacic, Fabregas, Kante and Loftus Cheek. We just started a derby with Matic, Fellaini and Herrera. The joke is on us.

Last edited:
This paper talk of Bailly leaving in January, if that ever happens I would be fuming. No one can say it's total bollox either because Mourinho certainly has an agenda with him at the moment.

I still think he's our best CB, but man like Mourinho can't control him and nurture him well.

This paper talk of Bailly leaving in January, if that ever happens I would be fuming. No one can say it's total bollox either because Mourinho certainly has an agenda with him at the moment.

I still think he's our best CB, but man like Mourinho can't control him and nurture him well.
You trying to say Mourinho can’t nurture CBs. I’d say the opposite tbh!

Half the the papers say he’s off the other day that Mourinho sees him as a potential elite CB. Lol egg head has released 2 articles today. One saying he’s off then another saying he’s considered key for the future.

We are approaching January transfer window... And it is United, so media has "huge" sources and news...

Back