The Manchester United Thread

Good to hear him admit it, but Lukaku has been atrocious lets be honest and we're nearly half way into a season. I'll continue to support him, but this next half of the season want to see a vast improvement. I understand he has supposedly bulked up but apart from scoring a few tap ins, he has offered next to nothing when he has been in the team.

He deserves a chance to put it right because he scored 27 goals last season but I still have doubts whether he is ever going to be good enough for us as an all round striker. Especially when we (hopefully) bring in a more progressive manager.

Good to hear him admit it, but Lukaku has been atrocious lets be honest and we're nearly half way into a season. I'll continue to support him, but this next half of the season want to see a vast improvement. I understand he has supposedly bulked up but apart from scoring a few tap ins, he has offered next to nothing when he has been in the team.

He deserves a chance to put it right because he scored 27 goals last season but I still have doubts whether he is ever going to be good enough for us as an all round striker. Especially when we (hopefully) bring in a more progressive manager.
Defo seen steady improvement since the Saints game. Hopefully that’s him getting fitter/ his body sorted out. You could tell the last few matches especially against Fulham he was runner big the channels more and chasing lost causes. Still a top str in my eyes. Dalot keeps whipping in those crosses. Lukaku will be eating them up. I counted about 5 crosses no. Of our players where close to as the simply don’t expect them. Why would they with Valencia being the way he is now.

Also keep Mata in the team. He will get Lukaku the ball.

An addition to the United's UYL squad. Shoretire (born 04) is travelling to Valencia with the U19s for Wednesday's game. If you wanted proof of how well thought of he is at United, this is as clear as it'll come. Only Angel Gomes can come close to matching this trajectory.

Another one to remember the name. He will be up there maybe even better than Greenwood potentially!

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1072084608257265665

This is why we need a DOF!

United were recommended Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt before they made their first-team debuts with Ajax, according to the club's former head of youth recruitment, Derek Langley.

Had United chiefs listened to Langley's recommendation, though, it could have been very different.

"Players that they turned down? Matthijs de Ligt. We had God knows how many reports on Matthijs de Ligt. Frenkie de Jong and all these players now are sort of around Europe," the 68-year-old told MEN Sport. "Dayot Upamecano, who is now at Red Bull Leipzig, was another.

"This was one of the reasons why I had a meeting with Ed Woodward and I told him that I wasn't convinced with the competency of certain people at the club. I told Ed Woodward quite straight: 'If you think I'm going to sit here and just tell you what you want to hear, I'm not that man because I'm going to tell you exactly how I see it'.

"I think it was possibly part of my downfall as to why seven months down the line I was removed because I wouldn't tow the line in relation to telling them exactly what I thought.

"It's one of them things in football - you come to accept it. Manchester United thanked me for the time I spent there and the players I'd taken in, but ultimately we could have been so much better if people had listened."

27 goals is fine. The issue is that the wide players haven't stepped up. Only Martial doing it

PLAYERS MISSING FROM TRAINING:

Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw, Sanchez, Martial. ALL CONFIRMED INJURIES.

Dalot & Darmian also missing but expect an update on them in the press conference.

Mason Greenwood & James Garner were part of the group

This is why we need a DOF!

United were recommended Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt before they made their first-team debuts with Ajax, according to the club's former head of youth recruitment, Derek Langley.

Had United chiefs listened to Langley's recommendation, though, it could have been very different.

"Players that they turned down? Matthijs de Ligt. We had God knows how many reports on Matthijs de Ligt. Frenkie de Jong and all these players now are sort of around Europe," the 68-year-old told MEN Sport. "Dayot Upamecano, who is now at Red Bull Leipzig, was another.

"This was one of the reasons why I had a meeting with Ed Woodward and I told him that I wasn't convinced with the competency of certain people at the club. I told Ed Woodward quite straight: 'If you think I'm going to sit here and just tell you what you want to hear, I'm not that man because I'm going to tell you exactly how I see it'.

"I think it was possibly part of my downfall as to why seven months down the line I was removed because I wouldn't tow the line in relation to telling them exactly what I thought.

"It's one of them things in football - you come to accept it. Manchester United thanked me for the time I spent there and the players I'd taken in, but ultimately we could have been so much better if people had listened."

If this is true, then the points made by zz are even more relevant. FFS, we have always been crying out our scouting team and their inability to spot players, turns out, it's again Woodward being the piece of **** that he is.

If this is true, then the points made by zz are even more relevant. FFS, we have always been crying out our scouting team and their inability to spot players, turns out, it's again Woodward being the piece of **** that he is.
Tbh he’s learnt in that respect. Woodward has played a huge role in our youth revamp with ****, ***, Murtaugh over the last 2/3 yrs. And the whole scouting revamp.

Giggs also said that he recommended both Mbappe and Gabriel Jesus, and Woodward wasn't interested.

Giggs also said that he recommended both Mbappe and Gabriel Jesus, and Woodward wasn't interested.
He didn’t say Woodward wasn’t interested. He said the recruitment department. He also said LVG was partly to blame and also blamed him for some oft hectolitres we sold at the time.

Not much point saying "what if" with the De Ligt's, De Jong's & co. because Jose wouldn't have played them anyway, so they wouldn't even be at this current stage of their development. If age wasn't a factor with him, Dalot would be an undisputed starter and Tuanzebe would be 3rd choice CB and one of the chuckle brothers would be at Everton by now.

Chuckle brothers have survived 4 managers can’t really put that on José tbf. The idiot that gave them the fat huge contract is more to blame.

Chuckle brothers have survived 4 managers can’t really put that on José tbf. The idiot that gave them the fat huge contract is more to blame.

2*

They were great prospects under Fergie. Not even going to say anyone survived Moyes, he was here 5 mins. Tbf, at least Van Gaal got the best out of Smalling, and it's not like he wasn't experimenting with young CB's (Blackett, McNair, etc.) he would've promoted Tuanzebe.

Jose has had the longest since Fergie, and has had more issues than joy defensively. Should've binned one of Smalling, Jones or Rojo by now. 4-5 options of Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and one of Smalling/Jones/Rojo with either of Toby or Koulibaly would be perfect.

Last edited:
2*

They were great prospects under Fergie. Not even going to say anyone survived Moyes, he was here 5 mins. Tbf, at least Van Gaal got the best out of Smalling, and it's not like he wasn't experimenting with young CB's (Blackett, McNair, etc.) he would've promoted Tuanzebe.

Jose has had the longest since Fergie, and has had more issues than joy defensively. Should've binned one of Smalling, Jones or Rojo by now. 4-5 options of Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and one of Smalling/Jones/Rojo with either of Toby or Koulibaly would be perfect.
Doesn’t matter the time. They have still lasted this long. Smalling was just as bad as good under LVG. I find it telling that there is no talk of new contracts. Maybe Mourinho does want rid. If Tuanzebe isn’t in the squad next season I will be peed. Don’t mind Rojo staying tbh. Toby or Koulibaly would be fantastic.

CB gonna be a problem for us in the next few years. Tyrell Warren and RoShaun Williams both back to there best this season. Only a year younger than Tuanzebe I think Warren is 2 actually. Then we have Lee Oconner and DiShon Bernard turning 18 very soon.

Not much point saying "what if" with the De Ligt's, De Jong's & co. because Jose wouldn't have played them anyway, so they wouldn't even be at this current stage of their development. If age wasn't a factor with him, Dalot would be an undisputed starter and Tuanzebe would be 3rd choice CB and one of the chuckle brothers would be at Everton by now.

Like they were even up for sale, if Woodward or a DOF had gone for them.

Doesn’t matter the time. They have still lasted this long. Smalling was just as bad as good under LVG. I find it telling that there is no talk of new contracts. Maybe Mourinho does want rid. If Tuanzebe isn’t in the squad next season I will be peed. Don’t mind Rojo staying tbh. Toby or Koulibaly would be fantastic.

CB gonna be a problem for us in the next few years. Tyrell Warren and RoShaun Williams both back to there best this season. Only a year younger than Tuanzebe I think Warren is 2 actually. Then we have Lee Oconner and DiShon Bernard turning 18 very soon.

But Tuanzebe doing the bizz in the championship week in/week out tbf. Question with young CB's of his ilk is rarely "are they talented enough?", that's there for all to see, the questions are; "are they strong/robust enough yet for senior level?", "will they get bullied by physical, 'round the block strikers?" and he's went to one of the most physical, competitive leagues in world football in that regard and has played like a seasoned campaigner. I think he's ready. Slot him alongside Van Dijk for Liverpool in young Gomez's position and I doubt he'd blink.

U19s Vs Valencia
Fojticek, Tanner, Ercolani, O'Connor, Devine, Barlow, Gomes, McGhee, Ramazani, Chong, Burkart

Subs: Carney, Neville, Bejger, Denham, Helm, Fish, Shoretire

Good to see Burkart and Gomes back. Great that u18s Devine gets a start been impressive since signing. All the subs must be in cloud nine a mixture of our youngest u18s and highly rated u16s. Future star Shortire at 14 also on the bench :)

Bejger is another new signing. Think he is or has captained Poland at u18s. Highly rated CB who Bayern were also interested in. Been injured since signing

Last edited:
Back