The Manchester United Thread

So lets say by some miracle a temp comes in and we get 4th, what then? Let them go and get Poch? Who has no guarantee of coming anyway. Or get somebody like Jardim now, back them in January and get the team playing his football over the next 5 months.

Also if we leave it till the summer, is Poch going to walk out on a good young Spurs team possibly with Champions League football and a new stadium, to Europa League, possibly out of Europe altogether, shambles of a club from top to bottom Man Utd?

So you think just rushing into an appointment now for a permanent manager when there won't be the options available now that might come up in the summer?

What about if we appoint Jardim now and it goes badly, then we realise that Zidane is replacing Allegri at the summer? That's just a potential scenario that could happen and then we would all wonder why we didn't wait.

Jardim is a manager that isn't a stand out candidate for a top club most likely, not saying that's right or wrong but at the end of the day, he's a sacked manager from Monaco.

If they'll get a DoF first, january shouldn't depend too much on the future coach.
It is time to develop and keep a certain philosophy and get a coach and players who fit it.

I just dont see the point in wasting valuable months till the summer on a guy that is going to walk away. Its looking likely we will have no CL next season. So we need to hit the ground running in August and make sure we get it. The earlier we get a guy in permanently to get the team playing his way and identify targets the better IMO. No Good signing a manager in June, trying to get new players in without already working with the squad we have, and then hoping it clicks straight away.

I just dont see the point in wasting valuable months till the summer on a guy that is going to walk away. Its looking likely we will have no CL next season. So we need to hit the ground running in August and make sure we get it. The earlier we get a guy in permanently to get the team playing his way and identify targets the better IMO. No Good signing a manager in June, trying to get new players in without already working with the squad we have, and then hoping it clicks straight away.

I see your point but we don't know who really is available now anyway, there is no certainty Jardim would even take a job midseason, if we are even in for him. I'm pretty sure Zidane doesn't want it either now, been seen in photos with Lippi at Juve.

Getting DOF and a new manager goes along way to writing a lot of wrongs at the club atm. BBC and Ogden and Ducker sayingvthe DOF will be announced before the new manager.

Pay Poch enough garentee to back him 100% he will leave Spurs. He’s a jumper has been throughout his career. Utd no matter what is still a huge club. Will jump at the chance if he’s promised backing. WhichbSpurs aren’t.

There’s a contradiction in terms.

He’s a career jumper ..... so lets roll the dice on him until he next ‘jumps’ ......

Last edited:
.--------------------------------

Bro I'm sending you lot Christmas cards now, especially Shaqiri. Given me and other United fans the biggest present before Christmas we could have wished for. But more importantly, have actually woken up the sleeping giant again if we truly are structurally getting things sorted above before the next manager comes in the summer.

I like McClair’s tweet this morning z on him not being the only one that should depart.

Long climb back up that mountain.

Just seen Pochettino's presser and he was inevitably asked about United. He never dismissed anything, it was a long-winded answer but to me, it convinced me he wants it even more. He could of just said 'No, it's nonsense, I can reassure fans I'm staying at Spurs for long-term". He never said any of those things.

I see your point but we don't know who really is available now anyway, there is no certainty Jardim would even take a job midseason, if we are even in for him. I'm pretty sure Zidane doesn't want it either now, been seen in photos with Lippi at Juve.

Comes back to my original point. Any manager worth their salt would jump at the chance to manage United, but any manager worth having wont come in on a temporary basis without backing and guarantee's of taking the club on. So what calibre of manager are we realistically looking at to run the club till May? Somebody who is happy to be used and thrown away? Somebody on Solskjaer's level? Thats not what I want and I dont think its good for the club either. If thats the level we are looking at then just leave it to Carrick and Joyce. At least they are in the club and know what they are working with.

In an ideal world for me, Fergie would be up to the task till May. He has the respect of the club and if the current squad wont play for him then they won't play for anyone. But thats not going to happen.

I can see the clubs point of not wanting to dive into a manager with a big contract but at the moment there is still a slim hope of 4th with the right man. In the summer who would want to come when we inevitably end up outside the CL places and with a real possibility of not being in Europe at all? In that situation we are again looking at a big name on a massive contract to tempt them to take us on in that position. Its a massive gamble from the board and just proves to me how inept they are.

Just seen Pochettino's presser and he was inevitably asked about United. He never dismissed anything, it was a long-winded answer but to me, it convinced me he wants it even more. He could of just said 'No, it's nonsense, I can reassure fans I'm staying at Spurs for long-term". He never said any of those things.

He just talks that way, nothing you can do about it.

Interesting is that if Bayern and Real will continue to fail, they want new managers also, so will be interesting fight between 3 top clubs over manageres.

I think the biggest mistake the board have made is giving Mourinho this long, should of gone after the Newcastle game despite the comeback. It was inevitable that we were only ever going backwards and there was still time then to actually salvage the season.

Sorry Steve but no manager is coming in now and getting us in top 4 this season. We're 11 points off and have to overhaul two teams not one just to get into 4th position.

I take all your points on board, we know that the hierarchy needs a restructure from top to bottom and for me sacking Mourinho is the first essential step. This club needs the next manager (permeant) to be the right choice, so taking until the summer is better than just scattergun going for whoever may want it now. Not many managers like to take over midseason, so the choices now would be slim at best.

If it's Solskjaer or Blanc as caretaker then I'm fine with it, they are two people who respect and know the club values very well. We just need someone to ride this season out, get some excitement back and players who want to actually play football again.

-------

One thing is clear, Mourinho is only the first step but a very important one.

I do think it's a poor strategy to have a temp working for over 6 months. Top 4 is as as good as gone, so get a new guy in, he'll get half a year working with no pressure and have his real debut next August. Worked for Klopp.

I do think it's a poor strategy to have a temp working for over 6 months. Top 4 is as as good as gone, so get a new guy in, he'll get half a year working with no pressure and have his real debut next August. Worked for Klopp.

Just there must be ton of work done by that time when summer hits. If Bayern and Real both are going to look also someone it will be hard market. Also the league positsion and Jan transfer window must go well. And the last one is danger from guys who have last years on contract, if they dont see any improvments they can easily find new place in summer.
All in all, your board must play their hand very safe and right way.

Bring King Eric in, be funny if he was an interim. Apparently ruled out Blanc, genuinely loving having a bit of optimism and excitement again.

Moyes 6 yr deal still has 6 months on it? he'll do

A penny for Matic and Fellaini's thoughts, they must be in mourning.

Solskjaer now the bookies favourite. Really don't see the point in that. Might as well keep Carrick

Solskjaer now the bookies favourite. Really don't see the point in that. Might as well keep Carrick

As a caretaker makes sense, has experience of PL and Carrick doesn't have any managerial experience. Keep him as the assistant and McKenna to Solskjaer.

Solskjaer is a club legend, will come in improve the mood and let the horses free until end of season.

We're not getting any good permanent manager now, just accept it buddy! Just enjoy the ride with Ole (if it is him) rather than the misery of Mourinho.

Back