The Manchester United Thread

The only problem I could see with Blanc or Ole is would they want to take a part time job. Not sure Blanc would tbh despite being unemployed. And why would Ole leave Molde for a few months work then be in the job centre again.

The only problem I could see with Blanc or Ole is would they want to take a part time job. Not sure Blanc would tbh despite being unemployed. And why would Ole leave Molde for a few months work then be in the job centre again.

I think Ole would because apparently Molde season has finished and doesn't start until March or something. So maybe we can work it out with him but I can't see Blanc happening as an interim.

Ole will bring the feel good factor back, attacking football and he knows United as good as anyone.

Looks like it's Ole with Mike Phelan, happy with that bit of know how behind him.

Like I said, any manager worth their salt wont even contemplate coming in only to be replaced in the summer. Top managers have more self respect than to be used like that. So we are basically going to be scraping the barrel. I dont see in any way how this benefits the club going forward. Its just a waste of 6 months. This season is a write off but to get the most out of next season we need somebody in laying the foundations now ready to kick on in August. Go all out for a target now and back them in January. Its going to cost in the summer either way if we are after a top currently employed manager so holding off for 6 months makes no sense.

Like I said, any manager worth their salt wont even contemplate coming in only to be replaced in the summer. Top managers have more self respect than to be used like that. So we are basically going to be scraping the barrel. I dont see in any way how this benefits the club going forward. Its just a waste of 6 months. This season is a write off but to get the most out of next season we need somebody in laying the foundations now ready to kick on in August. Go all out for a target now and back them in January. Its going to cost in the summer either way if we are after a top currently employed manager so holding off for 6 months makes no sense.

Pochetten is our man but we can't buy him out of his contract now because he wouldn't ditch Spurs midseason. He'll come in the summer and in the mean time we'll get the structure above in place before he comes in the summer. Such as sorting out the DoF etc. By the time Pochettino comes that should all be sorted, it's actually better than him coming now in many ways when you see the fixture list between Feb and May,. it will leave negative thoughts before he has even got going for next season.

Mourinho had to be sacked, so interim wise Ole will not rule with fear, he'll connect with the players and has worked with Pogba in the reserves back in the old days. Getting Mike Phelan behind him to add that know how is a good move.

None of this is ideal, but if this is playing out the way it is looking like, I think it is the best thing we can do.

In regards to January transfer, in which the main talk is adding a CB, I think any manager would love one of Koulibaly or Alderweireld tbf.

As for manager, I want Poch. Jardim 2nd. Think we need to go for a tactically modern coach to keep up. Would've loved Sarri or Tuchel but oh well

With regards to United’s January transfer plans, I don’t believe anything fundamentally changes on that front. Club’s priority was one CB, likely Kalidou Koulibaly, whether they can get him is another matter, but he’s the calibre of defender that doesn’t need a coach’s approval.

This is what I meant

Why in the World would either of rhose 2 CH’s want no CL football and a carnage of a scenario on and off the park Rh when they could have their pick of the majority of CL sides?

Most players, bellends like Sanchez aside, are far more about the project and CL football now the money’s levelled out at the top end than purely lining their pockets to the highest bidder.

Utd’s standing has slipped massively when it comes to that top market of names.

With all due respect, without trying to sound snobby, we're still Manchester United. If we make a formal offer for any of those players, CL football guaranteed or not, you can bet anything you have that there'll be at least strong consideration on their behalf. I do understand the angle you're coming from, but I'm not sure everyone else will be willing to pay what would be, fee and/or wages. We did sign Pogba, Zlatan etc. without CL football, who had a lot bigger reputations and egos than the initially mentioned.

Last edited:

Give Blanc the job 6 months, then move him to DOF in summer.

I'm hoping now with Solskjaer, McKenna will get more of a say as well. I know he as technically assistant to Mourinho as well, but lets be honest he had virtually no impact on that way of play. That was pure Mourinho, I seen more of McKenna in the set-pieces sometimes but nothing else.

Give Blanc the job 6 months, then move him to DOF in summer.

Apparently he was considered but wanted assurances he would take the reigns full-time. Which is not going to happen, we're in for Pochettino this summer.

I dont see how Poch is more likely to come in the summer than now. He must be frustrated at Spurs. Still not in the stadium, no backing in the summer, likely no backing in January because of the stadium. If ever there was a time to jump ship its now. If in the summer Spurs are in the new stadium and he's promised funds along with CL football why would he leave? Id go all out for him now for the sake of an extra few million and hope they can talk him round.

The biggest problem for me is this 6 months wasted till the summer with the club still up in the air. CL has gone next season so our number 1 priority next season is top 4. Do you really think a manager coming June and wanting his own players, plus working with a new squad of players, trying to get them all playing as a team before the season starts is a good move? We cant afford for a new manager to still be ******* about in October/November with his starting 11 and formations trying to get something that works because we'll probably be out of the top 4 next season as well. Thats a disaster for the club.

Happy with Ole and Phelan. Actually feels like some thought has/is going into this. Good start. Now need the right DOF Mitchell I hope and then Poch :)

I dont see how Poch is more likely to come in the summer than now. He must be frustrated at Spurs. Still not in the stadium, no backing in the summer, likely no backing in January because of the stadium. If ever there was a time to jump ship its now. If in the summer Spurs are in the new stadium and he's promised funds along with CL football why would he leave? Id go all out for him now for the sake of an extra few million and hope they can talk him round.

The biggest problem for me is this 6 months wasted till the summer with the club still up in the air. CL has gone next season so our number 1 priority next season is top 4. Do you really think a manager coming June and wanting his own players, plus working with a new squad of players, trying to get them all playing as a team before the season starts is a good move? We cant afford for a new manager to still be ******* about in October/November with his starting 11 and formations trying to get something that works because we'll probably be out of the top 4 next season as well. Thats a disaster for the club.

Spurs are still title contenders this season and they have got a shot in the CL. This is his last chance to achieve something with that squad because come the summer Aldeweireld and others are going. I understand your concerns completely, but I don't think it's a bad thing that we are sorting behind the scenes out before the main man (hopefully Pochettino) comes in.

I think Pochettino having the summer and full pre-season would be fine in all honesty in terms of preparation. He knows about this team, he has seen it first hand- so won't need long to know who isn't good enough. We've seen managers like Emery, Sarri etc. this season who had no experience with English football be able to come in and have a huge impact straight away.

Cant see him moving in the summer either, new contract, new stadium, team still in the CL he built, just got a result in Nou Camp. Even if Levy would talk, the team is all set for the next step into the new ground and you'll prob be fighting it out with Real if Levy entertains talks

I’m happy Carrick and McKenna are being kept on. Cooper again on SSN just echoing about a DOF/Technical director of football will be appointed before the main manager appointment. Least Ole can go back to Molde after the season has finished.

Cant see him moving in the summer either, new contract, new stadium, team still in the CL he built, just got a result in Nou Camp. Even if Levy would talk, the team is all set for the next step into the new ground and you'll prob be fighting it out with Real if Levy entertains talks

I don't know how much impact Levy can have if a club offers to buy his contract out. But to be honest I think a lot of people are over-estimating that even Zidane/Jardim would want to start midseason anyway.

I’m happy Carrick and McKenna are being kept on. Cooper again on SSN just echoing about a DOF/Technical director of football will be appointed before the main manager appointment. Least Ole can go back to Molde after the season has finished.

Win win for Ole really, comes in with little to no pressure and if he does well might get better offer elsewhere. If not will go back to Molde. he has experience with Pogba, a lot of people forgetting this. If we've got Ole, Phelan, Carrick and McKenna then I'm more than happy until end of season.

You still need spurs/Levys permission to talk, its not a minimum fee clause...

Back