The Manchester United Thread

Lots of reports saying it likely will be announced tonight.

Love listening to Poch talk about how important Fergie has been in his career and his admiration for him. :)

Mark Ogden just tweeted Ole named as caretaker manager. Then was deleted moments later.

Last edited:
Woodward will be happy again now: United’s value has jumped by over £100m since Jose Mourinho’s dismissal. #mufc [Times]

If nothing else these next 6 months will give us an indication of whether players like Pogba truly were singled out needlessly and start performing. Or whether they need to be gone in the summer as well.

Seems pretty obvious to me that Poch is the main man. If we wanted Zidane or Jardim we wouldn’t need an interim appointment till the end of the season.

Seems pretty obvious to me that Poch is the main man. If we wanted Zidane or Jardim we wouldn’t need an interim appointment till the end of the season.

Yeah unless Zidane is already tied up somewhere and Jardim isn't even on the shortlist, which may be the case. To be honest I just want Pochettino anyway, I can't think of a better fit for United than him in world football.

I just want to see Ole bring back the passion, entertainment and get these players putting the effort in now every week. There is literally no excuses for anyone now, I don't really care about results as the season is a write off. I just want to see the players trying to play the right way.

Bundesliga's virtually morphing into an Eredivisie these days, and I actually personally think he'd be mad to take the Madrid job. Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Bale, Benzema etc. all 30+ next season, I'm getting United 2012 ish vibes with them. Key players aging, the peak winning years left with Zidane & Ronaldo, but I could be wrong.

If it happens than you've just wasted another 6 months to the Pointless Years era after Fergie's retirement.

I wish people would stop assuming that there is some great option available now to come in midseason. There is literally nothing to suggest Zidane is available now and Jardim recently rejected job offer also.

Most clubs in this situation would do the same, Mourinho was untenable, get someone in like Ole to sail the boat and make a proper appointment in the summer. Real Madrid got Solari and everyone knows he isn't their long-term choice either.

I don't see how anyone is criticising the board over this...... there is a lot fo be critical of them about....... but not sacking Jose and hiring an interim until May in a dead season. They are hiring a DoF before the real manager comes in as well, the single thing we have needed for years.

*facepalm*

How is it a ‘dead’ season?

Mourinho has killed this season like he does at every club in 3rd season, it will take a miracle to regain top 4 now with our goal difference it's effectively 12 points to overcome against 5 teams competing for top 4. Lets not even talk about CL, our chances of winning that are as much as me winning the lottery.

It's not just that though, nearly all of our players are not performing, there is a lot that is needed to turn this around, let alone thinking about competing immediately for major trophies right now.

Last edited:
It's not a dead season. But Jose was getting worse. And our key target isn't available till the summer. Nor will any of the best managers be anyway. Get a caretaker in, vitally, get the technical director in, and start forward planning. The squad needs lifting, and some decent coaching. Ole phelan and Co can start to provide that

Last edited:
It’s not ‘dead’ though z. A ‘dead’ season you’d have nottin to play for. That’s far from the case with the FA Cup, European Cup and European places the league to play for not even half a season in.

Regardless of what you think Utd’s chances are, you still have to play the games with the aim of winning them or else what’s the point? You may have well carried on as was.

Thats dramatically silly talk mate.

I expect us to now play to win, that's why Mourinho has gone, he was playing to not lose.

But I seriously just see this as a write off we might have a little cup run with the FA Cup, but apart from that Ole is just coming in to sail the boat. Get the players back on side and some positivity back within the club.

It's defo Ole btw, Norway Prime minister just tweeted it and Norway seems to be going nuts about it haha!

Great day for Norwegian football. Good luck keeping control of the Red Devils, @ olegs26_ole

Man, just got home and saw the news. I believe relieved is the word for what i feeling.

Manchester United are currently languishing in sixth in the Premier League, some 16 points behind leaders and bitter rivals Liverpool.

Mourinho is the third manager in charge since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013, and is seemingly no nearer to delivering a league title to Old Trafford.

Manchester United were beaten 3-1 by Liverpool and Jose Mourinho confessed his side had no answer to the Reds' pace and aggression.

Alisson's first-half howler gifted Jesse Lingard and United an unlikely equaliser after Sadio Mane had put Liverpool ahead, but the tenacious Reds were not to be denied their first league victory over United since 2014 thanks to substitute Shaqiri.

Sacking Mourinho wouldn't solve all of United's problems. But it would solve one :'(.

Carlo_Ancelotti001.jpg

Back