The Manchester United Thread

I only want Kouli or Toby. I’m not arsed settling for anyone that’s not already top bracket. We need someone to come in and have a VVD effect.

I only want Kouli or Toby. I’m not arsed settling for anyone that’s not already top bracket. We need someone to come in and have a VVD effect.

Pointless targets for January though, not getting either. With Milankovic we have a chance at least. Yes he's only 21 but would be someone ideal to bring in now.

I think we should avoid throwing large sums of money around now, especially when you consider the state we're in. What we need is a plan and a manager who is going to build something gradually, like Ole appears to be doing so far. Throwing large amounts of money at a problem doesn't work for United, as recent history usually shows. Yes there are exceptions but our best buys are usually the ones that aren't the most expensive but are good players that become great over time.

Unless top defender is available, there's no major upgrades on Smalling/Lindelof/Bailly. Form partnership with those guys and see if something changes in Summer. Its pointless to spend north of 50m on a 21yo defender who's going to be a benchwarmer.

Unless top defender is available, there's no major upgrades on Smalling/Lindelof/Bailly. Form partnership with those guys and see if something changes in Summer. Its pointless to spend north of 50m on a 21yo defender who's going to be a benchwarmer.

Well if we're honest jones and Smalling should of been long gone, Milankovic should be the heir to their throne.

Alderweireld is a great defender and reads the game well, but he won't have a VVD impact at united. He doesn't have the same leadership or mentality like VVD. Hardly anyone does to be fair, they are a dying breed now.

Will have to go all in for Toby then. Koulibaly not a chance now. Tbh if Lindelof and Bailly develop and play like they have shown in there time here. I would rather go the other way and get someone like Milenkovic. Then sell the likes of Smalling, Jones, Rojo. Bailly and Lindelof ave shown more than enough to be top bracket imo.

Well if we're honest jones and Smalling should of been long gone, Milankovic should be the heir to their throne.

Alderweireld is a great defender and reads the game well, but he won't have a VVD impact at united. He doesn't have the same leadership or mentality like VVD. Hardly anyone does to be fair, they are a dying breed now.

He's 21 in his somewhat breakthrough season. Smalling is good enough. Jones is just..ugh. Milankovic wont solve anything. United has 2 youngish defenders in Bailly and Lindelof, plus Tuanzebe who's having a good season at loan.

It was fascinating reading yesterday the anotomy of the van Dijk transfer from Joyce:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...f?shareToken=521fbb8d4aaf3ff5f3a3af4b25ca1fd8

Over an 18 month period, they looked at 34 different centre-halves in over 15 games each one analysing every single facet to once and for all fix one if their biggest long term needs with the very best. And they narrowed it down to 4 ‘A’ grade targets (the very best in the World), and 4 ‘B’ graders. (Quality youngsters who projected as probable future ‘A’ graders.).

Big Virg toped the ‘A’ grade list (he was the managers #1 target all along and he wouldn’t settle for just anyone. But even at that, Edwards and Gordon really had to convince him that any player was worth the £75 million outlay), Laporte (City and ourselves had van Dijk and him 1/2. So they both got their men), Koulibaly, and, which was the most interesting to me, Jerome Boeteng.

Interesting as I’ve never conssidered him in thw highest bracket of World CH’s and would never have thought he’d be under consideration. Fascinating how your layman’s, common view differs from top analytics and scouts within a major football club.

I'd much rather just let Poch (fingers crossed) develop Tuanzebe, who looks to me like he's destined to be a top, top CB, than sign some other 21 year old. He's a ball-player too, which Poch, or most modern managers, adore.

Last edited:
It was fascinating reading yesterday the anotomy of the van Dijk transfer from Joyce:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...f?shareToken=521fbb8d4aaf3ff5f3a3af4b25ca1fd8

Over an 18 month period, they looked at 34 different centre-halves in over 15 games each one analysing every single facet to once and for all fix one if their biggest long term needs with the very best. And they narrowed it down to 4 ‘A’ grade targets (the very best in the World), and 4 ‘B’ graders. (Quality youngsters who projected as probable future ‘A’ graders.).

Big Virg toped the ‘A’ grade list (he was the managers #1 target all along and he wouldn’t settle for just anyone. But even at that, Edwards and Gordon really had to convince him that any player was worth the £75 million outlay), Laporte (City and ourselves had van Dijk and him 1/2. So they both got their men), Koulibaly, and, which was the most interesting to me, Jerome Boeteng.

Interesting as I’ve never conssidered him in thw highest bracket of World CH’s and would never have thought he’d be under consideration. Fascinating how your layman’s, common view differs from top analytics and scouts within a major football club.

Data nerds can get it wrong too. Sometimes, the simple eye-test prevails. Wouldn't take Boateng these days personally, and if Bayern are looking get him off the books, I trust they think he's as good as done too.

I'd much rather just let Poch (fingers crossed) develop Tuanzebe, who looks to me like he's destined to be a top, top CB, than sign some other 21 year old. He's a ball-player too, which Poch, or most modern managers, adore.
Tuanzebe defo has to be in the squad next year. His only weakness is his heading and defending at set pieces. He’s propper quick, Strong, goid positionaly. Milenkovic is way ahead though playing with the ball. Could easily have both in the squad. Plus one can cover multiple positions.

Yeah, I'm absolutely not interested in any defender who isn't going to have a serious instant impact. Look how comfortable Lindelof already is. What we need is a leading defender for him to partner. So someone like Toby. We've got some very good secondary defenders after that in bailly, Smalling, and bring back Tuanzebe. That's your 5 defenders. The rest can leave.

Yeah, I'm absolutely not interested in any defender who isn't going to have a serious instant impact. Look how comfortable Lindelof already is. What we need is a leading defender for him to partner. So someone like Toby. We've got some very good secondary defenders after that in bailly, Smalling, and bring back Tuanzebe. That's your 5 defenders. The rest can leave.

Yep. Plus you have McTominay or Matic as CDs as well.

I don't understand why Bailly hasn't ever managed to nail down one of those CB spots, I think it's a combination of inconsistency with fitness and Mourinho messing the lineup around time after time, not allowing any consistency. To my mind he is still our best defender with his raw attributes anyway, Lindelof is performing better but they should have another run together as a partnership if you ask me. He plays well and doesn't seemingly start next game, or if he plays bad in one game we don't see him for a month under Mourinho.

But yeah I'd agree we just need a manager who has a plan to develop the players we have whilst making some sensible additions, that's why I'm against spending a truck load on a CB especially now. Also given the direction we are going (under Ole) with this style of football, defending is down to the whole team as much as the backline anyway. Despite Jones flaws, he is more of a leader than the rest of them, not that it justifies him still being here really.

Snap there hands off at that price! Don’t think the club are interested in purchasing players of that age anymore.

Can’t wait to see Sanchez under Ole :)

Ole confirms Valencia will remain as Captain and when is fit and ready will play.

Last edited:
Can’t wait to see Sanchez under Ole :)

Ole confirms Valencia will remain as Captain and when is fit and ready will play.

Only part of the presser today I didn't like! De Gea should be captain and Valencia needs to be binned, he's finished and not a good captain in my opinion. We need to continue with Dalot mainly this season.

Only part of the presser today I didn't like! De Gea should be captain and Valencia needs to be binned, he's finished and not a good captain in my opinion. We need to continue with Dalot mainly this season.
Valencia is well liked and is probably gone at the end of the season. He clearly has an influence on the players and it's not worth changing captains mid-season.

Valencia is well liked and is probably gone at the end of the season. He clearly has an influence on the players and it's not worth changing captains mid-season.
Agree. He’s clearly well liked and no point in Ole upsetting the atmosphere for a player who is gonna be gone soon. Dalot has clearly shown potential but he’s also been pretty bad a few times defensively.

Back