The Manchester United Thread

KH QUOTES | [On Ethan Hamilton]
1f4ac.png
I thought he was superb. That’s quite a high bar that he has performed at today. So let’s make sure that we protect him & encourage him, because his attitude & characteristics are superb #RAFC

See Sam Wallace of the Telegraph has thrown Southgates name into the shortlist as Utd fear Pochettino might stay at Spurs.

Just watched West Ham Vs Arsenal. Should definitely be looking at Declan Rice, heir to Matic in front of our defence. Also like Felipe Anderson but probably not needed atm and their CB Issa Diop.

............. Get out

On a slightly unrelated topic, Rashford is definitely my favourite United player and has been for quite a while. Everything about him is what I pretty much want in a United player, great attitude and will always give 100%. But he has such a lot of ability and still seems hungry to improve.

I think he has gone up a level or two this season. There have been games like Southampton where we are badly in need of some quality and he gets 2 assists to get us level. Also recently against Bournemouth that was just a phenomenal assist.

My only hope is that we continue playing him as striker because his all round game is miles ahead of Lukaku. Obviously Lukaku is great with the goals but contributes very little to our teams buildup play.

Here's hoping that Ole can keep working his magic with Rashford until Pochettino hopefully cones. Then he will definitely have a permanent manager that will hopefully guide him as well as he did Kane

Lukaku actually has really good build up play. You seem to have weird pet hates against particular players

Lukaku actually has really good build up play. You seem to have weird pet hates against particular players
You sure about that? Like we haven't seen anything like that in 2 years.

Yeah honestly I think Mike must be thinking of someone else. Lukaku has been awful in that regard, especially this season. How many times he lost the ball with bad first touch and almost injured his knee with it too. Lol.

Yep. His first half of the season for United when he joined. Until Jose inexplicably pushed him really far forward and didn't want him dropping back. Even though Lukaku isn't actually a target man

Yeah honestly I think Mike must be thinking of someone else. Lukaku has been awful in that regard, especially this season. How many times he lost the ball with bad first touch and almost injured his knee with it too. Lol.

It's funny. You moaned we should have got morata when in fave Lukaku created more, was involved in more and lost the ball less that morata

I know it's the thing to have really short memories but seriously this revisionism is really ******* boring

Yep. His first half of the season for United when he joined. Until Jose inexplicably pushed him really far forward and didn't want him dropping back. Even though Lukaku isn't actually a target man

This is a fair point, z. I mean, look at Belgium. They didn't play as a Target Man, more like a DLF (or out wide in that match), and he was pretty decent in the build up play, laying off passes and going up forward himself, too. And ****, we were appreciating his build-up play in this very thread, while claiming we just needed a decent backup for him, since Rashford was always out wide (at the ending stages of last season). His first touch improved massively last season too.

He's good, definitely not someone we need to replace. He just needs to get his confidence back, and the goals and build-up play will follow. Solskjaer improved Rashford (despite his occasional lapses in decision making), he will improve Lukaku too. Patience is key.

Thats the strangest part about Lukaku. He's built like a target man, but he's more of a poacher.
When youre talking about build up play, do you mean holding the ball, getting other players involved and creating chances? Because I really dont remeber him doing it 2 games in a row.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Lukaku, sometimes I feel the goals he scores clouds peoples judgement on Lukaku. People say how much Ole has improved Rashford in the space of a few weeks it's a combination of management and playing where he should of been all along. Maybe you're just seeing how good Rashford could have been if given a consistent run of games as striker now. You're seeing the difference he makes there in this style, could you imagine lukaku doing that assist vs Bournemouth? Running into the flanks getting the ball, taking on 2 defenders and pinpoint cross to Pogba for a goal.

If we want to play this way under Ole, I just don't see how lukaku will cope with it. Maybe I'm wrong but for me Rashford should be guaranteed starter today. Has been a breath of fresh air as striker and my only wish that he didn't have wasted time under Mourinho. He might be even further in his development as a player if we hadn't of seen Lukaku week in week out playing bad and not getting dropped.

His link up definitely came on leaps and bounds in the first half of last season, I even commented he was turning into the complete CF, then his touch completely abandoned him for whatever reason. That, low confidence and the excessive bulking... I reckon he’ll come good again. Said he was surprised by how much Ole knew his game/what type of striker he is so let’s see

His link up definitely came on leaps and bounds in the first half of last season, I even commented he was turning into the complete CF, then his touch completely abandoned him for whatever reason. That, low confidence and the excessive bulking... I reckon he’ll come good again. Said he was surprised by how much Ole knew his game/what type of striker he is so let’s see

Yeah last season he was better tbf, but as a united striker you can't perform at the levels he has this season. Everyone can be allowed a dip in form but he looks like a player who almost can't play football at times this season.

For me though he will get his chance and rightly so under a new manager. But right now he doesn't deserve it when Rashford has been performing so well as striker. If we see Lukaku or Valencia today vs Spurs to me that is just bad management by Ole. There is no way you drop Rashford from that position considering how good he has been recently and Valencia everyone knows is finished.

I have a bad feeling we might see Valencia starting today and maybe even Lukaku, the wrong move if it happens.

Yeah last season he was better tbf, but as a united striker you can't perform at the levels he has this season. Everyone can be allowed a dip in form but he looks like a player who almost can't play football at times this season.

For me though he will get his chance and rightly so under a new manager. But right now he doesn't deserve it when Rashford has been performing so well as striker. If we see Lukaku or Valencia today vs Spurs to me that is just bad management by Ole. There is no way you drop Rashford from that position considering how good he has been recently and Valencia everyone knows is finished.

I have a bad feeling we might see Valencia starting today and maybe even Lukaku, the wrong move if it happens.
Valencia will start if fit which I assume he is. Don’t have a problem with that he’s defensively still very good. And need his experience in these big games.

Git a feeling it could be a front 3 of Martial, Lukaku, Rashford which again I’m fine with. Watched Spurs against Chelsea and they was physically out of it that second half. Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Rose all really struggling. Especially Alli and Rose. It was basically Spurs holding on and lumping it long to release the constant attacks. Our rest and fitness could make the difference to day especially as the match goes into the second half.

United travelling squad

Goalkeepers (3): De Gea, Romero, Grant
Defenders (5): Lindelof, Jones, Young, Dalot, Shaw
Midfielders (7): Pereira, Matic, Pogba, Fred, Herrera, McTominay, Garner
Forwards (6): Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Mata, Lingard, Sanchez

Back