The Manchester United Thread

Genuine question how many caretaker managers have actually been appointed by a club long-term and then worked out? I just remember disasters like Sherwood, Di Matteo (He won the CL as caretaker but then disaster as permanent manager), Shakespeare etc.

None... Not a single one!!
That's the answer you crave isn't it Z?
You either thrive on negativity, or you are just playing your online character now.

I think everyone has tired of it now.

Genuine question how many caretaker managers have actually been appointed by a club long-term and then worked out? I just remember disasters like Sherwood, Di Matteo (He won the CL as caretaker but then disaster as permanent manager), Shakespeare etc.
It depends on what you term as successful, is lasting more than one season in the job successful or not. If you are after caretakers who took on a job permanently and stayed several seasons you can count Tony Barton at Villa and, a certain Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool (his second spell that is). Not all caretakers when given the gig full time lose the job after a few months some last a little longer.

None... Not a single one!!
That's the answer you crave isn't it Z?
You either thrive on negativity, or you are just playing your online character now.

I think everyone has tired of it now.

It was actually just an attempt to get a bit of discussion going ffs, did I say anywhere in that post 'Solskjaer shouldn't get the job'? No I didn't so stop ****** assuming something that isn't there.

I just genuinely wanted to know whether there has been any caretaker managers that have been a major success then when appointed full-time, I don't know who or whether there has been.

Honestly, it's a wonder why I still post here considering how people want to jump on on everything.

It depends on what you term as successful, is lasting more than one season in the job successful or not. If you are after caretakers who took on a job permanently and stayed several seasons you can count Tony Barton at Villa and, a certain Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool (his second spell that is). Not all caretakers when given the gig full time lose the job after a few months some last a little longer.

Thanks for that, I was just genuinely curious, it's not a scenario that happens a lot so will be interesting to see how it goes.

It was actually just an attempt to get a bit of discussion going ffs, did I say anywhere in that post 'Solskjaer shouldn't get the job'? No I didn't so stop ****** assuming something that isn't there.

I just genuinely wanted to know whether there has been any caretaker managers that have been a major success then when appointed full-time, I don't know who or whether there has been.

Honestly, it's a wonder why I still post here considering how people want to jump on on everything.

Thanks for that, I was just genuinely curious, it's not a scenario that happens a lot so will be interesting to see how it goes.

You asked a question to get some discussion going donr know what you did wrong mate. Onto your question I think you have to ask is Ole the best manager that understands what United are about and the answer is yes. I'd still go for Poch if its possible if I was yous guys. If not Ole aint bad option to fall back on.

Depends what you term ‘success.’

Kenny stepped back into the managerial chair at Anfield for the second half of ‘10/‘11 in an earily similar situation to the present one at Utd. To lift everyone/ for the ‘feel good factor.’ And to get L’pool back playing L’pool football after the absolute carnage of the single worst manager in Liverpool Football Clubs history. The continued, clueless buffoon that is Roy Hodgson.

Got the gig on a permy basis that summer. ‘Should’ have won a domestic cup double his first full season that second go-around. Beat Cardiff to win the League Cup. The clubs first final appearance/ trophy in 5 seasons. Absolutely battered Chelsea the second-half the Cup Final when Carroll had one of his unplayable games. Cech was superb. Carroll had a clear header ruled out that would count today with goal-line tchnology. Chelsea somehow hung on for a 2-1 win.

Madly got sacked the summer for Rodgers just as he was building starting to build something again.

Dangerous situation for a club to box themselves into to give a caretaker role like that to lift spirits. Kenny’s Kenny so he was always going to have the full backing of everyone regardless and they had no choice but to give it to him on a permanent basis that summer. As much as that was never the plan.

Earilly similar situation going on here with the sway of match going support behind Solksjaer.

There was this bald guy who replaced Rafa.

Dangerous situation for a club to box themselves into to give a caretaker role like that to lift spirits. Kenny’s Kenny so he was always going to have the full backing of everyone regardless and they had no choice but to give it to him on a permanent basis that summer. As much as that was never the plan.

Earilly similar situation going on here with the sway of match going support behind Solksjaer.

Yeah your right but at the same time, it's kind of hard not to want him to get it when he's doing so well at the moment apart from PSG. But anyway this gives me a chance before the huge game tomorrow to wish you all the best. I genuinely hope it's a cracking game and we can get our revenge for that Anfield shambles!

You asked a question to get some discussion going donr know what you did wrong mate. Onto your question I think you have to ask is Ole the best manager that understands what United are about and the answer is yes. I'd still go for Poch if its possible if I was yous guys. If not Ole aint bad option to fall back on.

Honestly mate some people are so defensive over their club even when trying to make open discussion on a subject. Lets just forget about it anyway, it's annoying but there we go.

What about Darren Moore at West Brom. Didn't he take over as caretaker and get the job?

There was this bald guy who replaced Rafa.

Technically not a caretaker manager though because if I remember rightly even though he was appointed mid-season, he was given a permanent contract from the start. (think it was 3 year contract).

What about Darren Moore at West Brom. Didn't he take over as caretaker and get the job?

Great shout, considering how he has them fighting for promotion after the Pardew spell.

Last edited:
Technically not a caretaker manager though because if I remember rightly even though he was appointed mid-season, he was given a permanent contract from the start. (think it was 3 year contract).

Yeah but it's Real Madrid, you know he would be sacked if he didn't win anything.

The honest answer is who cares right now? Ole can only do the job in front of him, which he's currently doing pretty well. He's been given the best part of half as season, against a **** of a lot of dangerous opponents. If he does well or badly overall, it's not a fluke either way. So lets sit back and enjoy the ride. There's literally no point making decisions now when there is still so much to play for

Totally agree with you on that Mike. Hopefully the board don't make any hasty decisions as it's still early and there is still lots of football to play before the end of the season. The time to decide Ole's future (if he has one at the club) is at the end of the season not after 12 games (most of which were winnable any way). It is however, interesting to also watch how the so called favourite for the job (Pochettino) is coping with not just the pressure of trying to keep Spurs going but how he is coping with the pressure of being linked with jobs from other clubs.

Leaked team, apparently. Martial last min evaluation with Mata on standby.

hcWbZb3b.png

Sounds like they aren't convinced with Martial and it will indeed be Mata, which I'm not too happy with unless he's central

Sounds like rumours of Matic not being at the hotel last night are true and McTominay starts.

Confirmed Martial out. Turned up in casual clothes an hour before the team coach arrived.

Also so just read Matic got injured in training yesterday.​

Last edited:
Well, that was a **** team-leak XD Matic, Martial nor Lingard starting.

Anyway.

COME ON UNITED

Back