The Manchester United Thread

Not long now. Hyped for this game. Little expectation but that little hope we can turn it around. Just excited to see how this team and especially the youth lads do against this lot.

You should be paying 100m for whoever is leading Dortmunds's scouting department. Their ability to quickly rebuild the squad after constantly losing best players is some black magic voodoo ****.

This is why the approach of just going and splashing another £100m on the next supposed big thing doesn't excite me. Yeah it might work and it might not, but this is the scattergun approach we have been using for years now under Woodward. There is no real transfer strategy under Woodward and look where it has got us up to now post Fergie, pretty much nowhere. As many successful signings we have had bad ones also, we need to sort out the structure more than anything. If this doesn't get sorted by the summer then I'm seriously disappointed because it was promised. Woodward likes the power, I don't know whether it will be.

This is why the approach of just going and splashing another £100m on the next supposed big thing doesn't excite me. Yeah it might work and it might not, but this is the scattergun approach we have been using for years now under Woodward. There is no real transfer strategy under Woodward and look where it has got us up to now post Fergie, pretty much nowhere. As many successful signings we have had bad ones also, we need to sort out the structure more than anything. If this doesn't get sorted by the summer then I'm seriously disappointed because it was promised. Woodward likes the power, I don't know whether it will be.

I really don't know what you want here tbh.

He literally fits everything you claim you want in a right winger. He fits the right kind of United signing. Do you want him, or do you want another moan?

Ole is already deciding in contracts and transfers now for the mean time. And I trust him far more than I would Jose or Woodward

I really don't know what you want here tbh.

He literally fits everything you claim you want in a right winger. He fits the right kind of United signing. Do you want him, or do you want another moan?

In this instance I want him (despite the price I like the player) but more than anything I want United to sort out their footballing structure behind the scenes with a DOF especially or else nothing is really solved. After Mourinho that was what we were going to do, so I don't want that all forgotten about now that Solskjaer is our manager.

We should definitely go for it as much as we can from the start but also have to be realistic if with half an hour or so left it doesn't look good and we still need a couple goals then I think we should pretty much call it a day at that point. No reason not to have a go from the start as still half the tie left but given all our injuries theres also no reason to risk players if it is clear we cant get through which could well be the case with half an hour left, at the point getting some younger players some minutes is the smart choice.
2-0 is not insurmountable, ok the longer the game goes on the more likely that PSG will shut up shop but United don't do things that way, or have you forgotten the '98-99 Champions League Semi-final v Juventus where it was 1-1 after the first leg at Old Trafford then at the start of the second leg Juve took a 2-0 lead before the 24th minute. Then what happened. United scored via a Keane goal then Yorke wiped out the 2-0 lead and the advantage Juve had from the first leg. Of course they didn't just sit back then as 7 mins before the end of time up popped Cole to give them a 2-3 lead and a place in the final in Barcelona. Of course what happened in the final is now legendary with a certain forward now managing the club scoring in injury time. Fergie would never give up on a game after 30 mins no matter what the score and somehow I don't think Ole will either. A match is not lost until the ref blows the whistle any other talk is defeatist, no true fan should ever want to see his team give up with half an hour to go.

In this instance I want him (despite the price I like the player) but more than anything I want United to sort out their footballing structure behind the scenes with a DOF especially or else nothing is really solved. After Mourinho that was what we were going to do, so I don't want that all forgotten about now that Solskjaer is our manager.

Agree, but the two aren't linked in this case. This is the kind of signing United used to make. Only now in this world fees are crazy

Is there really much difference signing Sancho for 100M in 2019 than Rooney for 30M in 2004? That was seen as insanity back then too

It is not only scouting, but they have shown giving development time for youngsters and will give more game time in first team ,even if you make some odd mistakse sometimes you wont be benched or loaned out.

Yup. Lewandowski's first season with BVB was absolutely woeful. He was missing open goal every other game, fans were mocking him with viral videos, media were hounding him, it was a disaster. Klopp didn't give a **** and kept playing him week after week. Second season, he went and banged 30.

In PL he would have been benched within 5 games, loaned out in winter and sold in the summer to get some money back.

Hearing could possibly be 343 tonight? Tbh, I sorta wanted it in the 1st leg, but at the same didn't because it would've restricted Pogba...but hey, he was man-marked out of it anyway. *Shrugs*

Team: DDG, Young, Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw, Periera, McTominay, Fred, Rashford, Lukaku

Subs: Romero, Rojo, Dalot, Garner, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood

No pressure on Greenwood but last time an academy player made his debut in a European game just before we play Arsenal in the weekend he scored twice in both so I expect similar from him if he comes on :P

No pressure on Greenwood but last time an academy player made his debut in a European game just before we play Arsenal in the weekend he scored twice in both so I expect similar from him if he comes on :P
Ole said on MUTV he won’t hesitate to bring on the young attackers if we need a goal :) TBH apart from McTominay and Periera it’s actually a pretty good line up. Just shows the depth we have.

Some of these are arguably playing for their United future and it is a true test of others how good they are. Can Fred step up and make a performance? Can Pereira produce again after the weekend? Can Lukaku perform on the biggest stage in a United shirt now he has his chance? Can Rashford outshine M'Bappe this leg? (That's probably asking too much).

Some of these are arguably playing for their United future and it is a true test of others how good they are. Can Fred step up and make a performance? Can Pereira produce again after the weekend? Can Lukaku perform on the biggest stage in a United shirt now he has his chance? Can Rashford outshine M'Bappe this leg? (That's probably asking too much).
I really doubt any of these are playing for there future. I’m pretty sure all these will be here with Ole next season.

I really doubt any of these are playing for there future. I’m pretty sure all these will be here with Ole next season.

More questions than answers atm with most of them mate, especially due to contract situations, If Fred had a howler could break his united career on the biggest stage, but if he managed to follow up the assist at the weekend with a great performance tonight, could make him in a United shirt. Lets wait and see, on the biggest stage like this you really see how good these players are or can be.

6 of the players in the Man Utd 18 weren’t born when Buffon made his CL debut, differing levels of experience to say the least

Back