The Manchester United Thread

Goes to show that you can hire best manager in the world, but if he doesn't get the culture around the club he's going to struggle. Makes me wonder if you wouldn't be better off just giving it to Giggs after LVG was sacked.
Giggs would have been a bigger mistake than Jose I feel, yes he knew the club and the culture but he wasn't ready, a couple of seasons as an assistant does not make you a manager. Yes I've commented about Ole's substitutions being naïve once but at least he not only worked with the youngsters at United he has already won things with Molde, until Giggs proves himself outside of the international scene, walking into the Wales job was a no brainer for him, he hasn't set the world alight even with the likes of Bale, he will continue to be a longshot for me. Ole has learnt from both his time at Molde and from Cardiff and is proving to be a quick learner now.

Saar looks a real good player for Rennes on that RW.
Yeah he’s not bad. Not a stand out talent or ever gonna develop into one from the games and highlights I’ve seen.

:) hope the lad pulls through! Wtf is wrong with people!!

A #mufc fan is having emergency surgery in Paris after being stabbed in the chest by a taxi driver last night. The driver took offence to him and three others singing in the taxi after the game #mulive [sky]

Yeah he’s not bad. Not a stand out talent or ever gonna develop into one from the games and highlights I’ve seen.

:) hope the lad pulls through! Wtf is wrong with people!!

A #mufc fan is having emergency surgery in Paris after being stabbed in the chest by a taxi driver last night. The driver took offence to him and three others singing in the taxi after the game #mulive [sky]

**** that's ****** up.

From what I saw today he was causing Arsenal constant problems, although Idk whether to take much from that or not!

Bit worried about Young playing 3 games in 7 days if he starts against Arsenal as expected. Think they will definitely try to target him.

More or less same what happened with Zidane no? Only management pedigree was with Real Madrid B, then when he becomes first team manager goes on to win 3 CL titles in a row.

Giggs would have been a bigger mistake than Jose I feel, yes he knew the club and the culture but he wasn't ready, a couple of seasons as an assistant does not make you a manager. Yes I've commented about Ole's substitutions being naïve once but at least he not only worked with the youngsters at United he has already won things with Molde, until Giggs proves himself outside of the international scene, walking into the Wales job was a no brainer for him, he hasn't set the world alight even with the likes of Bale, he will continue to be a longshot for me. Ole has learnt from both his time at Molde and from Cardiff and is proving to be a quick learner now.

I'm starting to think that social dynamics around both the backroom and the fanbase have changed in a way that just gives an advantage to someone who was a great player.

Fergie is a genius but in his era manager was a God and his word was sacred scripture. But now we have these superteams packed with mercenaries who don't really care about the club as long as the paycheck shows up. We have global fanbase of foreign fans who are incredibly fickle and change clubs ***** nilly if there is no constant success. We have players who are being pushed by agents to promote their private brand with some stupid special celebrations.

How do you walk into all that and actually get all these people to work together as a team? I've read that Zidane challenged Ronaldo to a free kick contest and he wrecked him. So I guess that's just how you do it nowadays. You show up and they already respect you and you can work from there. As opposed to having to micro-manage a lot of the nonsense that a 60 year old LVG had to deal with.

I'm starting to think that social dynamics around both the backroom and the fanbase have changed in a way that just gives an advantage to someone who was a great player.

Fergie is a genius but in his era manager was a God and his word was sacred scripture. But now we have these superteams packed with mercenaries who don't really care about the club as long as the paycheck shows up. We have global fanbase of foreign fans who are incredibly fickle and change clubs ***** nilly if there is no constant success. We have players who are being pushed by agents to promote their private brand with some stupid special celebrations.

How do you walk into all that and actually get all these people to work together as a team? I've read that Zidane challenged Ronaldo to a free kick contest and he wrecked him. So I guess that's just how you do it nowadays. You show up and they already respect you and you can work from there. As opposed to having to micro-manage a lot of the nonsense that a 60 year old LVG had to deal with.

Yeah I agree that it seems to be you either have to have a great relationship with the players by having all of them respect you as a player, even Guardiola would have had that at Barca to help him to begin with as another example, or you have to have been more successful as a manager than the players your coaching have been as players like Klopp when he took over at Liverpool would be a worse player but would have been able to point to a couple Bundesliga titles and a CL final appearance that none of their players except Milner could compete with.

Even Rafa Benetiz you wonder if Leicester players would have listened him more than Puel as he had won a CL and a few other trophies, even with Puel having won Ligue 1 with Monaco, and been more willing to put up with the similar tactics he'd have used. It probably just stops that split second of is this a good idea as they can back it up by saying they did it as a player or manager and won XYZ as a result as opposed to it worked really well to get us a tough win against Stoke.

Then again, look at Gattuso at Milan. Didn't have a great record at the clubs he managed before, had a faily iffy start at Milan, but was allowed to stay long enough to get the team playing the way he wants.

Best defense in top 5 leagues this year. Something like 5 conceded in the last 13 games I think I read. Bakayoko has become one of the best midfielders in the league after a real stuggle in the beggining. All of the players talking in public have nothing but praise for Gattuso.

Mad how much difference a happy dressing room can make!

I think Giggs could've worked out too. He was amazing at spotting talents, advised the club to sign Gabriel Jesus, Mbappe, Martial etc. yeeaarssss ago. I think Ole has better football concepts/better grasp tactically though, and has a better personality. Giggs a little too introverted & so softly spoken. Can't imagine him giving a hairdryer.

Still think he could've worked, but I'm pretty confident Ole's the best out of the 99's.

The players would never fully trust Giggs and that's a huge problem when your a manager. I know personal life shouldn't come into it but believe me that players know about that stuff. When the going gets tough it could become toxic real quick in my opinion.

Whereas I don't see that with Solskjaer because the guy is as genuine as they come, even if it all goes **** up from here on out I am at least confident he will give or die by the sword. Meaning that he will always get the players backing and 100% effort until the end.

Martial back for @ManUtd on Sunday. Herrera, Lingard and Matic also in contention. Bailly recovered from kick on the ankle that forced him off on Wednesday. Pogba back after ban.

Caretaker boss Solskjaer on the #MUFC job: "I am not here to get excited, I am here to do my job. And of course that contract issue there, you cannot have two contracts when you're a manager, so that contract was terminated. I am contracted to Man United until the end of June"

OGS on @ManUtd future: "I love managing these boys. I love working here. I am just doing the best I can every single day. If and when a decision is to be made we will have to think about that."

Solskjaer on his summer plans
The manager has revealed that he is helping the club plan for a summer recruitment drive.

“Well, as far as you need to look pre season we’ve looked into and you look at players,” he added.

“Hopefully the ones who sign will stay for many many years so depends how you look at that.”

Potential April fixtures

2nd April - Wolves away
6th April - potential FA Cup semi
9th/10th April - CL, 1st leg
13th April - WHam home
16th/17th April - CL, 2nd leg
21th April - Everton away
24th April - City home
28th (or 27th if reaching CL semis) - Chelsea home
30th April/1st May - potential CL semi, 1st leg

So potential 9 games in April. The "reserves" showed last night that they can get a result, we have a good squad. Can't wait.

As long as Ole gets 3 good signings going into next season for the right positions then I'm pretty confident we have a squad that can do well. Assuming the inevitable that we promote a few youth maybe and get rid of some deadwood.

As long as Ole gets 3 good signings going into next season for the right positions then I'm pretty confident we have a squad that can do well. Assuming the inevitable that we promote a few youth maybe and get rid of some deadwood.
Think 2 would be enough. If we promote which I think is likely

Centre back, C midfield or resign AP and mata, Full back, and right wing imo.

Sanchez is toast, So it depends on whether we see Dalot as a full back or a winger. Only want a CB if he's an absolute worldy otherwise there isnt much point. We need to cover Pogba better, so AP or Mata need to be that creative option. And we only 3 full backs if we consider Shaw, Dalot and Young. So at least one is needed

Mike Smalling since he has signed that contract ****** ****, colossal performances. Hope he can keep it up because in this form he's a top CB.

Back