The Manchester United Thread

Really don’t think there’s any running to be had tbh. There just waiting to announce it at the end of the season.

De Gea's penalty save % = 22%

Some PL greats to compare:

Pep Reina 13%
Edwin van der Sar 15%
Petr Cech 21%

I'd say he's pretty alright at them. Just some recency bias.

De Gea's penalty save % = 22%

Some PL greats to compare:

Pep Reina 13%
Edwin van der Sar 15%
Petr Cech 21%

I'd say he's pretty alright at them. Just some recency bias.

Remember it's a lottery, just the PL numbers are meaningless. We would have to pull out career wide stats in all of the clubs+NT.

Remember it's a lottery, just the PL numbers are meaningless. We would have to pull out career wide stats in all of the clubs+NT.

They are the career-wide stats. International, league, cup & Europe.

It's still

De Gea 22%
Cech 21%
VdS 15%
Reina 13%

I just chose the better keepers of PL era, but the stats weren't PL only.

To add 3 of the foreign modern greats:

Neuer 31%
Buffon 30%
Casillas 23%

Last edited:
Funny, I was just thinking about how Neuer has this very specific routine before the shot. Jump up, slam into the crossbar and then wave arms up and down once or twice.

And then you have Diego Alves, who has whooping 44% penalty save rate, 25 out of 56 if Im not mistaken.

Honestly 20-30% sounds about how it should be.

It's not much of a "penalty" if the chance was 50-50.

Although I still like the old MLS style pens with people running at goal from half line.

Honestly 20-30% sounds about how it should be.

It's not much of a "penalty" if the chance was 50-50.

Although I still like the old MLS style pens with people running at goal from half line.

Penalties are converted at 75.8% (this has been consistent over the last decade or so) so you're bang on.

So LVG finally retired and waved us final farewell with a classic LVG quote

"Like football players, my wife also has the right to live with Louis Van Gaal."

This guy.

Wish him all the best. His football here was largely boring. But we did have some great standout performances under him and a good FA Cup win. Crazy SOB and very entertaining pressers and quotes. Oh and brought through Rashford at the same time sold good players we should of kept. All the best LVG!

In the end it will be seen as typical LVG tenure I think. He comes in, talks philosophy, everybody loves him. 2 years pass, everybody hates him and he gets sacked. 4 more years pass, turns out he gave debuts to some massive players, everyone forgets all the bad **** and he becomes LVG the mad genius.

They are the career-wide stats. International, league, cup & Europe.

It's still

De Gea 22%
Cech 21%
VdS 15%
Reina 13%

I just chose the better keepers of PL era, but the stats weren't PL only.

To add 3 of the foreign modern greats:

Neuer 31%
Buffon 30%
Casillas 23%

Have you got the stats for Inter keeper Handanovic? Literally every time I see him against a penno he saves it!

But that might just stand out to me as I'm an AC fan haha

Have you got the stats for Inter keeper Handanovic? Literally every time I see him against a penno he saves it!

But that might just stand out to me as I'm an AC fan haha

Good shout, whopping 37%. Saved 38/103.

Good shout, whopping 37%. Saved 38/103.

He also once saved six penalties in a row which I imagine is the longest streak of saves in a row for a top level league

Also Daniel Subasic the Croatian goalkeeper has saved just over a third of the ones he's faced and also got a couple saves in both world cup shootout wins for Croatia

Last edited:
Back