The Manchester United Thread

You'd expect him and Barcelona to be pushing far more next Tuesday at home than the controlled, disciplined display tonight.

Really solid, competent away European performance from them which could well have resulted in a wider scoreline. That said the Dalot 'header' (term used VERY loosely) could have undone their hard work. WTF was he doing there?

Semedo and Jordi Alba are great at the final third, so the more defensive-minded Young and Dalot at the wing-back was supposed to deny them space.

Worth noticing that both of them also play always wide, whilst Martial, for instance, will look to cut inside. I guess he wanted us to stretch Barca's defence wide open so Lukaku and Rashford would face Piqué and Lenglet in a 1x1 situation.

Tbh, if they unleash the dogs against us in Camp Nou, they will give us the space we need to score. If they decide to just pass the ball around, we're fcked.

You'd expect him and Barcelona to be pushing far more next Tuesday at home than the controlled, disciplined display tonight.

Really solid, competent away European performance from them which could well have resulted in a wider scoreline. That said the Dalot 'header' (term used VERY loosely) could have undone their hard work. WTF was he doing there?
I genuinely didn't think they were impressive tbh. PSG played much, much better at OT than barca. PSG's performance is what you can call "controlled, disciplined display". Don't remember us creating a single good opening

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I genuinely didn't think they were impressive tbh. PSG played much, much better at OT than barca. PSG's performance is what you can call "controlled, disciplined display". Don't remember us creating a single good opening

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Psg played really good football in both legs. Fortunately for us Neymar was injured.

Don’t know how anyone can say Barca were average think we made them look that. Except for the first 15 and the last 10 when we completely sat off them. We were the better team. We pressed really well, stopped them playing out from the back and got stuck in and completely stopped there flow of play. They created 1 good chance except from the goal. You could see by there body language which was mentioned by BT and the American stream I was watching that they had been in a game.

We lacked a bit of quality and composure in the final 3rd wasting 2 fantastic chances. We play like that again at there place, will be hard I know. But we can definitely get something

Last edited:
Rashford has an exceptionally bright future, however it's mad an unfair to make him our lead striker at his age. Still needs help. Still needs to learn a lot.

We'll definitely need to get two central mids now though.

Have a sneaking suspicion we will go all in for Rabiot now. Still think it's a mistake to be targeting him, but considering the rebuild, he can be a "cheap" option. Although, what he will do in terms of damage to the dressing room remains to be seen. Also, we should definitely (and by reports, seem to) be targeting Alderweireld. At 25 Mn, it's a cinch. He's really good, albeit a short term option. But he's cheap, which leaves us with more money to be hunting for a FB, CM and RW.

We'll definitely need to get two central mids now though.
Agree mate defo 2 needed 1 starter top class and a good squad option. Agree with regards to Rashford he clearly has it all but he’s still young enough to have spells of rashness and inconsistency. Lukaku should be starting all the time imo. With Rashford and Martial either side.

Meh I don't know guys, honestly there is so much work to do in the summer. I'm not convinced even our best players even want to stay either especially Pogba if we're not in CL.

For me the biggest priority has to be West Ham now, that is a must win game and given our form I'm not all that confident. This team isn't consistent enough and when they play in quick succession they tire too easily.

A lot of work to do, we have a very slim chance at the Nou Camp but it's still open as 1-0 is recoverable. I hope we actually go for it though, that was our biggest mistake last night. Giving them too much respect and then when they scored we actually started to press and they didn't like it.

Wouldn't say Barca are anything special based on last night, would fancy a few other teams in the competition to beat them in all honesty.

I hope Laird comes in for Saturday and forget Rojo as he is leaving anyway. What you think TOD? See him in the squad at least surely considering we are missing Young, Shaw.

I hope Laird comes in for Saturday and forget Rojo as he is leaving anyway. What you think TOD? See him in the squad at least surely considering we are missing Young, Shaw.
It will defo be him or Williams on the bench. Laird only played couple of games since long off so maybe factor into things. Both are good tbh but Laird is a special talent.

Lee O’Connor could be another one Zz been training with the first team the last 3 weeks. Sbragia and **** have targets of him playing first team football next season. And arguably been our best and most consistent academy player for the last 4 yrs. And has been training with his National first team also the last few times they have met up.

Edit! Just seen he’s been added to the CL squad for the Barca reverse leg and will be with the traveling squad at the weekend :)

Last edited:
Thoughts on these quotes from Ogden and Mitten. Kind of agree tbh. But the replacements need to be right!

Herrera a good, honest player who is very useful but is his loss being a little overstated because he scores high on the "gets it" spectrum.

Lots of noise around Ander Herrera to PSG, as though United are selling their soul by failing to keep him. It’s a sign of where United are that people are mourning his departure. An honest squad player at best, but not one who will make United compete for the PL / CL.

Pretty much agree with what they are saying about Herrera but considering our current situation it would have ben nice to keep him as he is a good squad player and even those are quite hard to come by these days. I know what they mean by people rating him highly due to the supposed club ethos, but I don't think enough players these days really connect with fans like him ad Mata as well tbf do. He clearly has a connection with the club, but ahh well in all honesty he isn't irreplaceable.

Also, still got to blame Woodward and his ridiculous policy of leaving it late for contract renewals. Pretty sure if it was at the start of the year, we could still have had Herrera situation under control. :/

No not really.

Kinda seems that way, sorry. Sanchez's crazy contract (which City turned down, mind); leaving contracts till late - Mata, Herrerra; and apparently, Derek Langley keeps stating that recruitment was bad (we apparently had reports initially on de Ligt and de Jong long before this season, but didn't move); not to mention, Mourinho's long contract;

No matter how I look at it, this year has been bad from Woodward. Has he improved in general from the clusterfuck first year? Definitely. But in general, he definitely needs replacing as the guy in charge of transfers and contracts.

Kinda seems that way, sorry. Sanchez's crazy contract (which City turned down, mind); leaving contracts till late - Mata, Herrerra; and apparently, Derek Langley keeps stating that recruitment was bad (we apparently had reports initially on de Ligt and de Jong long before this season, but didn't move); not to mention, Mourinho's long contract;

No matter how I look at it, this year has been bad from Woodward. Has he improved in general from the clusterfuck first year? Definitely. But in general, he definitely needs replacing as the guy in charge of transfers and contracts.
Hes far from perfect but think he gets a lot of un necessary stick from fans who just wanna blame someone. Mourinho wanted Sanchez as did nearly every Utd fan at the time. Yes his contract was huge but he did what it took to bring a top class attacker to the club, while shifting out a very inconsistent player at the same time going the opposite way.

Ideally yes we would of had these contracts sorted out before now but it’s not like they haven’t been going on a while. There’s obviously other stuff going on that we don’t know about.

De Ligt and De Jong wouldn’t of joined us when we first scouted them at 15/16 as they were already about to get into Ajax first team. And would not of signed to play in our academy for god knows how long.

Mourinho contract was dumb especially not to back him. But in the end it was right not to. We would of definitely lost Martial for Perisic or Willian and Pogba would of gone this Summer likely with other players also.

Back