The Manchester United Thread

Told you at the time it was a **** decision by the board to appoint Ole before the end of season. Then you could of assessed the whole season and give a more accurate picture on whether Solskjaer is right man.

Why did we trigger that decision before we even recovered after a loss, we're useless top to bottom.

Outplayed by West Ham, I can't even remember our last good performance under Ole and that's the most worrying thing. People might say Barca but we had 0 shots on target that's how low our standards are now.

And it was explained at the time why this wouldn't work. Whoever it was needed to be announced then.

And it was explained at the time why this wouldn't work. Whoever it was needed to be announced then.

I just really can't see this working long-term and I hope I'm wrong. But we are getting bossed and outplayed by teams consistently in Old Trafford by Watford, West Ham. It just shouldn't be happening, I know our squad isn't the best but something can't be working in training either.

I just really can't see this working long-term and I hope I'm wrong. But we are getting bossed and outplayed by teams consistently in Old Trafford by Watford, West Ham. It just shouldn't be happening, I know our squad isn't the best but something can't be working in training either.

Yeah but you hate everything. The real work was always going to start from recruitment and summer work

Its been said loads of times mate. New manager, new staff, new training, new style of play, **** loads of injuries, lots of players lacking game time, squad not good enough depth wise. You need to take all these things into consideration.

Know one one knows if it will work out long term. But he deserved it for what he’s done and the position he has is atm. We have beat Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, PSG drew with Pool and was scoring for fun against the lesser teams early on playing good football to boot.

Rojo is absolutely useless as fullback, I don't know why we didn't just bring in someone from the youth who has at least been playing regularly and is something to build for the future possibly.

Having Young and Rojo starting against Barcelona on Tuesday scares the life out of me, just the thought of it!

Rojo is absolutely useless as fullback, I don't know why we didn't just bring in someone from the youth who has at least been playing regularly and is something to build for the future possibly.

Having Young and Rojo starting against Barcelona on Tuesday scares the life out of me, just the thought of it!
Rojo is useless, period.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Fair play to De Gea for the wonder save, we all know he's capable of that. But he still has to work on his distribution because it's really average at the moment to say the least. Put us under pressure a lot with his kicking and throwing for their goal.

Fair play to De Gea for the wonder save, we all know he's capable of that. But he still has to work on his distribution because it's really average at the moment to say the least. Put us under pressure a lot with his kicking and throwing for their goal.
Fans have come to expect De Gea saving the club after the last few seasons. Unfortunately however, this season has seen a drop in form not just relating to his distribution but also his general play. He has not been making the saves which were seen as 'bread and butter' saves this season, which coupled with a poor central defensive set up (although it has got better now Jose has gone) has lead to mistakes and numerous dropped points. The guy has been seen as a 'superman' over the last few seasons but he is proving this season that he is only human after all.

Distribution used to be one of De gea's strengths actually. He just hasn't looked right this season but even a poor de Gea is still better than 80% of GKs in the world rn.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

So, outside of Sancho, I have no idea who United can bring as a right winger. Nico Pepe is awkward. He's quick, good dribbler and decent finisher, but his movement is just odd. And not the most techical player. Reminds me of Sadio Mane, but he's a lot more polished.
Lozano, Neres, Ronny Lopez, they are just meh. Not productive enough. United need creative spark and they are not there.

As for central midfield, if Mata and Herrera leave, its its g be tough. Fred can (hopefully) replace Herrera, but who's gonna replace Mata? Even backup players are worth 30m+ these days. I like Bruno Fernandes, but he'll cost a bomb. Dont think Saul + Sancho is realistic, because that would look north or 300m with at least one midfielder and the right back.

And right back is an issue. I dont trust AWB, nor I trust Dalot. One offers little when attacking, other is not very good defender. If only you could merge them, eh?

I think Uniteds CDs are good enough. Lindelof and Smalling work well. Then you have Bailly and Jones, plus Tuanzebe. No need for a big money target. If Rice joins, then theres more than enough defenders.

Last edited:
I think United have to go back to doing what they do best Vanjagl, buying players who aren't the finished article yet but in hope that in building a new team they develop into great players. There is no quick fix, at least I hope that is how we're looking at it rather than going back to the Woodward mentality where we just go for the likes of Bale and Kroos this summer fo example.

Realistically we're 2 or 3 seasons away at least for competing realistically with City if we do everything right from now onwards, so lets put the infrastructure into player with a technical director and buy players who can develop here. Not the finished article like Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger etc etc... this approach doesn't work for United.

As regards as to who those targets should be...... tricky really because you're going to pay a lot now for pretty much anyone with half a reputation.

I an ideal world: De Ligt, Sancho, N'Dembele, Thomas Munier (from PSG, he is the right age and would give good competition in the hope that Dalot/Laird/Williams or whoever can break through in the time).

Don't see why United can't get at least Munier and N'Dembele, sure we will have rivals but have to remember that we're still an attractive club. I don't trust our defence enough in terms of CB options beyond Smalling and Lindelof. So I'd definitely try get another CB.

To be honest more I think about it.... letting Blind go was a terrible decision. He is better CB than everything we have practically bar Smalling and Lindelof, probably equal to. Great utility player and should have stayed for sure.

That works Zz when you have team of established players and than you add some talent. Most of them dont handle the pressure of being a main man, or even some higher expecations. United dont have strong enough spine to currently deploy that strategy. United need a right winger who's ready right away. Same as a midfielder.

Its gonna be tough, thats for sure.

Alderweireld, Sancho, Meunier sounds more realistic (if having Sancho in your targets is even realistic). I also want a midfielder, but I have no idea how N'Dombele is, so wouldn't comment on him. de Ligt would cost north of 70 Mn, and has a host of clubs behind him. Alderweireld seems more gettable. And Declan Rice, if we can get him. The guy seems to have huge potential, and can cover CB also.

If not Sancho, Zaha could be worth taking a punt on again. PL ready, and is pretty lethal on his day, and is a good option for a counter-attacking team.

Also, if Mata leaves, I wouldn't mind a punt on Fekir. Should be reasonably priced for his talent, but his potential injury problems are the only worry. I'm not sure how bad it is, mind you.

Last edited:
Alderweireld, Sancho, Meunier sounds more realistic (if having Sancho in your targets is even realistic). I also want a midfielder, but I have no idea how N'Dombele is, so wouldn't comment on him. de Ligt would cost north of 70 Mn, and has a host of clubs behind him. Alderweireld seems more gettable. And Declan Rice, if we can get him. The guy seems to have huge potential, and can cover CB also.

If not Sancho, Zaha could be worth taking a punt on again. PL ready, and is pretty lethal on his day, and is a good option for a counter-attacking team.

Also, if Mata leaves, I wouldn't mind a punt on Fekir. Should be reasonably priced for his talent, but his potential injury problems are the only worry. I'm not sure how bad it is, mind you.

Not sure about Rice or whether he's just another hyped midfielder due to being English. A good player but not sure he is the answer to our midfield problems, we need someone who can dictate the game from that deep position almost like Carrick and he's not that imo.

Fred been doing well though lately so maybe not, need a box to box midfielder to replace Herrera though for sure. Depends how we use Fred long-term really.

Targets should be Koulibaly, Meunir, Lozano, Fernandes, Partey or Ndombele. Will fix glaring holes and weaknesses and is realistic and will have us not far off in terms of challenging next season.

Going back to Fergie's way is not going to work anymore. Keane, Cantona, Ferdinand, Carrick, Rooney, Berbatov. Find best players who are already proven in English football and buy them, that was the policy. But these days PL clubs can defend themselves much better against poaching talent and they make you pay with blood.

I'd love us to get Doucoure for midfield. Very underrated. For RW/IF with proven Premiership quality I'd love Son. Not his strongest side but hes a great player and gets his fair share of goals, but thats never going to happen. If we are to get a proven world class CB I dont see how we can turn down Alderweireld and that price. Will still get a good few years out of him allowing more funds for other key positions.

If we could get Doucoure and Alderweireld your looking about £50-60m. That still leaves plenty of money for other areas.

Back