The Manchester United Thread

They do, I agree. But with Dybala that would be their main job. With proper striker, you dont need to rely on wingers to score as much as they would need with a player like him. Good example is Firmino from Lpool. Lukaku will score goals if you create for him, problem is - United wingers aint creative enough. But its not just wingers fault, its also fullbacks and midfielders as well.

Exactly. Lukaku is a proper striker. Problem is we dont play to his strengths. If he can bang them in for west brom, everton and belgium then hes more than capable for us. First problem you would expect is we dont play like west brom and everton. We dont play long ball as suck to a target man. But his performaces for Belgium kill that theory. He can do it in both set-ups.

In my opinion the biggest problem we have had for lukaku is lack of quality putting balls into the box. IMO our best crosser at the moment is Dalot, but him and lukaku havent really had a decent run of games together. If we play with Lingard/Martial/Rashford/Sanchez out wide and start lukaku upfront, that kills his game. Coz they all cut inside and keep the ball.

I always wanted us to sign Lukaku from his anderlecht days. Top player. Proved that at west brom and everton. Chelsea was mad to let him go coz he was a ready made drogba clone in the style of play at the time. But if we dont adapt our play to his strengths then we might as well get rid. Almost the same as Fellaini. He was class for Everton and Belgium playing off a striker. Using his strength to hold the ball and knock it down for the striker, but we sign himm and for years use him infront of the back 4 and complain when hes all elbows. But when we put him forward in his best position he scored important goals. What a shock

To play to the kak's strength, we need players that can consistently whip in good crosses....we don't have that atm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Lee Grant, Diogo Dalot, Matteo Darmian, Chris Smalling, Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones, Scott McTominay, Paul Pogba, Fred, Andreas Pereira, Nemanja Matic, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Anthony Martial, Alexis Sanchez, Marcus Rashford, Romelu Lukaku

Ole said 4/5 signings in the Summer defo not 6. Also said budget or targets won’t change regardless of top 4 things are going on towards the summer now. Said there’s a lot to do in pre season especially fitness wise. Didn’t sound like he was going to be keeping Sanchez around next season. And said Pogba will be key and he’s told him in recent talks that he’s still key to his next seasons plans and will use him as a 6/8.

Solskjaer on creating a culture
As a club we cannot carry players. Everyone has to take ownership, keep improving, show that hunger that you want to get better individually and as a team.

It's about culture as well. They have to get the culture where players take ownership themselves. I think the players deserve to get the chance to come in for pre-season and show what they're capable of. Are they fit enough? Are they hungry enough? Do they want this enough? Do they want to give everything to the team? Or do they think only about themselves?

What is the definition of culture? I'd say it's about how we do things here and I have my way of doing things and I expect them to be done. We want to create a culture that we believe in. That might mean small things like having breakfast or lunch together.

I like my players to take ownership of their own careers and their futures. That's the type of player I like – and I have been impressed by many of the players we have got here. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

On telling players their United careers are over
That's what you sign up for when you come to Manchester United.

You have to make tough decisions. You have to say to players 'I don't think you're for me'.

Take Mason Greenwood. He's 17-years-old. He is a player for me. I want to give him the chance to become a top player at this club.

It's the same with Marcus Rashford at 21 and Diogo Dalot at 20. These players are going to get a chance – and that is going to affect players who are at the other end of their careers.

Solskjaer on creating a culture
As a club we cannot carry players. Everyone has to take ownership, keep improving, show that hunger that you want to get better individually and as a team.

It's about culture as well. They have to get the culture where players take ownership themselves. I think the players deserve to get the chance to come in for pre-season and show what they're capable of. Are they fit enough? Are they hungry enough? Do they want this enough? Do they want to give everything to the team? Or do they think only about themselves?

What is the definition of culture? I'd say it's about how we do things here and I have my way of doing things and I expect them to be done. We want to create a culture that we believe in. That might mean small things like having breakfast or lunch together.

I like my players to take ownership of their own careers and their futures. That's the type of player I like – and I have been impressed by many of the players we have got here. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Thats what we want to hear. This is the reason why we have still have Jones, Young and Valencia for the last 8 years. Players not good enough cruising along and a manager not ruthless enough to get them out the door. Or a manager not putting their foot down with Ed about new contracts. I find it hard to believe Jose was pushed around on that front but it is what it is.

We need to get the dickheads out the door. And if Ole is looking at the youngsters to come in that actually care about the shirt and place in the squad then great. We need fight. It sounds like Ole wants that ownership back in the team. Like when Neville and Keane talk about the players managing the dressing room themselves. They all kicked **** out of each other if they didnt give 100% even in training. We have lost that. I think Herrera has that mindset but he's on the verge of walking. As soon as he goes out of our midfield 3 we have crumbled. Players like Herrera and Mata are vital to us going forward.

Mata might be out of place on the pitch in the current system but he's vital in the dressing room for the attitude hes got and the team mentality. He gets what we are about and connects with the fans like nobody else. If anyone feels the passion of the fans and translates that to a kick up the **** of the players its him. We can't lose that. Even Valencia but he's gone now. He's been there and gets it. Keeping players with that attitude is more valuable than any contract or transfer fee. Especially if we are looking at bringing youngsters through or buying younger players to stay a good few years.

We need a few players in the summer, but if we can keep Mata and Herrera then that will have more benefit on the youngsters coming up than any new signing can ever do.

Had chat with friend who is more into Serie A and keeps eye on PL. Talked about different transfers and summers. There was one guy he highly praised, who is not named often but can be amazing transfer to any team (similarities to Kante). He added that taking consideration United midfield problems he would be amazing addition to them for long term. And should be snapped up this summer or he will get more expensive.

Nicolo Barella is his name. Maybe in Italy he is more well known. From his talks, articles and videos i checked the kid is real deal. Amazing tackling ability and as he is used sometimes as nr10 he has developed very good passing abilities. Very versatile player who can be used in every mid position.

Thats what we want to hear. This is the reason why we have still have Jones, Young and Valencia for the last 8 years. Players not good enough cruising along and a manager not ruthless enough to get them out the door. Or a manager not putting their foot down with Ed about new contracts. I find it hard to believe Jose was pushed around on that front but it is what it is.

We need to get the dickheads out the door. And if Ole is looking at the youngsters to come in that actually care about the shirt and place in the squad then great. We need fight. It sounds like Ole wants that ownership back in the team. Like when Neville and Keane talk about the players managing the dressing room themselves. They all kicked **** out of each other if they didnt give 100% even in training. We have lost that. I think Herrera has that mindset but he's on the verge of walking. As soon as he goes out of our midfield 3 we have crumbled. Players like Herrera and Mata are vital to us going forward.

Mata might be out of place on the pitch in the current system but he's vital in the dressing room for the attitude hes got and the team mentality. He gets what we are about and connects with the fans like nobody else. If anyone feels the passion of the fans and translates that to a kick up the **** of the players its him. We can't lose that. Even Valencia but he's gone now. He's been there and gets it. Keeping players with that attitude is more valuable than any contract or transfer fee. Especially if we are looking at bringing youngsters through or buying younger players to stay a good few years.

We need a few players in the summer, but if we can keep Mata and Herrera then that will have more benefit on the youngsters coming up than any new signing can ever do.

This, as much as you need quality, you need identity. We need to rebuild that. With the players that are here and with those who join in the summer. Players who want to win, have the ability to be elite and understand the demands of being here.

Phelan as sporting director would be a strong start. The ideal of course would be van der sar. Both men understand the inherent identity of United. Which means they can target players who would fit that.

Had chat with friend who is more into Serie A and keeps eye on PL. Talked about different transfers and summers. There was one guy he highly praised, who is not named often but can be amazing transfer to any team (similarities to Kante). He added that taking consideration United midfield problems he would be amazing addition to them for long term. And should be snapped up this summer or he will get more expensive.

Nicolo Barella is his name. Maybe in Italy he is more well known. From his talks, articles and videos i checked the kid is real deal. Amazing tackling ability and as he is used sometimes as nr10 he has developed very good passing abilities. Very versatile player who can be used in every mid position.

barella is a terrific prospect.Only problem is by all counts both milan clubs are circling so id say he will end up there.Dont see many young italians coming to the premier league.

Don't fancy Phelan much as a Sporting Director tbh, you need someone who is fresh and will come in with new ideas that will guide us into the future. Yes we want to get back to where we were, but it's about evolving now as well. VdS or Mitchell it has to be for me. Phelan kept as.a coach or if he doesn't want to then we can replace him I guess.

Someone with a track record of success in that role as well, as I say it has only got to be Mitchell or VdS if we're serious about progressing as a club into the future. No disrespect intended to Phelan of course.

Don't fancy Phelan much as a Sporting Director tbh, you need someone who is fresh and will come in with new ideas that will guide us into the future. Yes we want to get back to where we were, but it's about evolving now as well. VdS or Mitchell it has to be for me. Phelan kept as.a coach or if he doesn't want to then we can replace him I guess.

Someone with a track record of success in that role as well, as I say it has only got to be Mitchell or VdS if we're serious about progressing as a club into the future. No disrespect intended to Phelan of course.

Do you even know what a sporting director usually does? It's about keeping continuity at a club when managers, particularly with with recruitment

Yoi chuck out fresh as a buzzword, but what does it even mean. We need someone to guide the scouting department in finding players that fit United. Who knows who fits United? Phelan.

This, as much as you need quality, you need identity. We need to rebuild that. With the players that are here and with those who join in the summer. Players who want to win, have the ability to be elite and understand the demands of being here.

Phelan as sporting director would be a strong start. The ideal of course would be van der sar. Both men understand the inherent identity of United. Which means they can target players who would fit that.

You do realise most DOF/SP are ex players who have absolutely no experience in the role. Prime examples of two of the best in the business in Zorc and Monchi who were handed huge jobs at Dortmund and Sevilla. The rest is history! Experience in the role doesn’t mean success many facets and factors come into the job. Plus Phelan does have experience in the job anyway.

Anyways great to see on Sunday Supplement this morning Ole getting praise for his style and way of management and especially tactical side of the job he’s done. Some fans need to calm the **** down a bit and realise where we were and have bit of patience!

Sorry Mike don’t know why your post got quoted also.

Last edited:
Also zz you name van der sar. Remind me how he got the job at Ajax? As an ex player who understood the nature of the club and it's core message

Look, I recently took to manage United at FM19 and I have to tell you, I have a lot more sympathy for both LvG and Mourinho. Players are *****.

Sorry, do carry on.

Mitten saying Bailly will get one more chance next season and Ole has faith in his ability. If that’s the case then I will be happy with Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe next year. Think FB is the biggest priority in our defence atm.

Mitten saying Bailly will get one more chance next season and Ole has faith in his ability. If that’s the case then I will be happy with Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe next year. Think FB is the biggest priority in our defence atm.
Yeah, thats what I was saying. Smalling/Lindelof first choice with Bailly potentially replacing one of them ( Smalling most likely). Rest of defenders are backup.

Yeah, thats what I was saying. Smalling/Lindelof first choice with Bailly potentially replacing one of them ( Smalling most likely). Rest of defenders are backup.
Tbh baring 2 off the top of my head 1 which we won’t have a chance at getting I honestly can’t think of any top class CBS that will improve us. Koulibaly being the only realistic option but Napoli will absolutely rinse us dry. Other than him your looking at younger unproven defenders again, which won’t necessarily improve us and will take time to settle.

Tbh baring 2 off the top of my head 1 which we won’t have a chance at getting I honestly can’t think of any top class CBS that will improve us. Koulibaly being the only realistic option but Napoli will absolutely rinse us dry. Other than him your looking at younger unproven defenders again, which won’t necessarily improve us and will take time to settle.
Thats true. Top class CD will improve United. But United have more pressing issues. Smalling and Lindelof are creating some kind of partnership and its working ( in most cases). Some creativity in the squad is the most important thing right now, especially on that right wing.

Back