The Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Northcroft has done an interview with Scott McTominay on his own progress, José and Ole among other subjects. It is a great read!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-to-jose-for-seeing-something-in-me-326gnm9cc

McTominay: “When you’re 22, people still think of you as a kid. But I want to be treated as a regular in United’s first team. I don’t want to be treated like a young player who’s playing a bit part. I want to be judged harder than that. I want the responsibility.” #mufc [Times]

McTominay: “You have to be patient. I feel some boys nowadays are ‘I should play instantly and if not I’m leaving.’ That’s all very well, but if Man United is in your blood, like it is mine, you’re not ready to give up an opportunity like this easily. You fight.” #mufc [Times]

Last edited:
Thats true. Top class CD will improve United. But United have more pressing issues. Smalling and Lindelof are creating some kind of partnership and its working ( in most cases). Some creativity in the squad is the most important thing right now, especially on that right wing.

Oh come on Van, CB is a massive issue as much now than it ever has been at United and there is no way that we should be going into another season with what we currently have plus Tuanzebe.

Everyone was crying out for a CB in the summer and now suddenly you think these same players are good enough??? Wtf, baffled. Smalling has been in and out the team like every season, Jones is Jones and Lindelof has been shaky as well at times.

If we lose one player we're already relying on players that shouldn't really be here! I know I'm banging my head against a wall here because somehow fans think this defence is good enough. This season has been awful, our defending although improved lately has still leaked goals virtually every game we have played.

There is no way on earth we should be passing up a CB this summer, Tuanzebe should replace Jones totally and if we're too tight to get someone then just go for Alderweireld.

------

Mike, we can dress this up any way we like, Phelan doesn't have any experience to my knowledge with that role and he probably doesn't have much of a network either. Compare that to someone like Mitchell who has worked at various clubs in that position.

------

I really don't get this forum sometimes, which is fine because I guess it doesn't get me either. But where do you honestly see this club going if we don't improve this defence.... a fullback isn't enough. We need a Centre Back. It's as much of a priority as anywhere.

CB is a must. An absolute must. Need a VVD-type of proven figure. He has turned them from nearly men to serious challengers; we need that similar type of leadership impact. Smalling has it, he’s just painfully average. Good at the basics, building in first phase etc. non existent. Kouli, Alderweireld, **** even Maguire would inject quality

Last edited:
Oh come on Van, CB is a massive issue as much now than it ever has been at United and there is no way that we should be going into another season with what we currently have plus Tuanzebe.

Everyone was crying out for a CB in the summer and now suddenly you think these same players are good enough??? Wtf, baffled. Smalling has been in and out the team like every season, Jones is Jones and Lindelof has been shaky as well at times.

If we lose one player we're already relying on players that shouldn't really be here! I know I'm banging my head against a wall here because somehow fans think this defence is good enough. This season has been awful, our defending although improved lately has still leaked goals virtually every game we have played.

There is no way on earth we should be passing up a CB this summer, Tuanzebe should replace Jones totally and if we're too tight to get someone then just go for Alderweireld.

------

Mike, we can dress this up any way we like, Phelan doesn't have any experience to my knowledge with that role and he probably doesn't have much of a network either. Compare that to someone like Mitchell who has worked at various clubs in that position.

------

I really don't get this forum sometimes, which is fine because I guess it doesn't get me either. But where do you honestly see this club going if we don't improve this defence.... a fullback isn't enough. We need a Centre Back. It's as much of a priority as anywhere.
Phelan has been DOF/SD in Australia for a year. Which is way more experience than 99% of people who get the same roles and they had way way less of a network/experience as they went straight from players or in some cases ex bankers!

------

------

What was Phelan doing before he came back to United?

OH WAIT HE WAS A SPORTING DIRECTOR

We also have a large network of scouts. It's just not being utilised. That's where Phelan knowing what United's identity is and what we need from senior to academy comes in. That's what a sporting director does

Last edited:
CB is a must. An absolute must. Need a VVD-type of proven figure. He has turned them from nearly men to serious challengers; we need that similar type of leadership impact. Smalling has it, he’s just painfully average. Good at the basics, building in first phase etc. non existent. Kouli, Alderweireld, **** even Maguire would inject quality
Koulibaly is the only one of those I would be interested in as it seem Toby is off to Juve if reports are true. And Maguire is no better than Lindelof, Smalling or a top form Bailly. The quality of CB bar 1 is simply not out there. Your relying on up and coming talent to improve us. No one is saying we don’t need a WC cb just there isn’t any.

12:29KEY EVENT
United line up
United XI: De Gea, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Dalot; Matic, Fred, Pogba; Rashford, Lukaku, Martial.

What was Phelan doing before he came back to United?

OH WAIT HE WAS A SPORTING DIRECTOR

We also have a large network of scouts. It's just not being utilised. That's where Phelan knowing what United's identity is and what we need from senior to academy comes in. That's what a sporting director does

I guess that's somewhat useful in terms of experience but Mitchell still has the edge for me because he clearly can operate at any club in Europe and bring success. Ok that's a bit of a generalisation but you get the point, he would have more useful contacts and he supports United apparently as well so he'll know the club anyway. Maybe not on the inside like Phelan but that's not a deal-breaker.

The general consensus of United fans seem to want Phelan staying as coach and Mitchell as Sporting Director/DoF or whatever the role is labelled.

I want someone who can bring us the hidden gems so we can make them the polished product, how United should be doing. I'd fancy that more with Mitchell in that role personally.

We can't get both Sancho and Koulibaly, and get a cm, and a right back. And also replace all the player zz decides he doesn't like. That's fantasy money. Even we don't have that.

Best bet is to see if we can get Toby A, partner him with Lindelof. Think he'd still be that 25m release fee. Then get Sancho at around 90m. Then you're probably look at the best part of 70m for a centre mid and full back, more if you're looking at anything close to elite level. Anything else is going to take another window unless you're selling to buy at this point.

I guess that's somewhat useful in terms of experience but Mitchell still has the edge for me because he clearly can operate at any club in Europe and bring success. Ok that's a bit of a generalisation but you get the point, he would have more useful contacts and he supports United apparently as well so he'll know the club anyway. Maybe not on the inside like Phelan but that's not a deal-breaker.

The general consensus of United fans seem to want Phelan staying as coach and Mitchell as Sporting Director/DoF or whatever the role is labelled.

I mean it's extremely useful. Not somewhat. Mitchell is brilliant but supporting United (apparently) isn't the same as knowing it the way Phelan does.

There's definitely no general consensus on United fans km anything, there's too many for a start for anyone to make that generalisation. Either way, Phelan is more than capable of doing the job if they don't get Mitchell. You can't keeping pinning everything on one target. That goes for transfers too

We haven't kept a clean sheet for 10 games apparently chaps! Not sure if that's league form only or what. Can't remember our last clean sheet though tbf, think it was Liverpool at home thinking about it.

We haven't kept a clean sheet for 10 games apparently chaps! Not sure if that's league form only or what. Can't remember our last clean sheet though tbf, think it was Liverpool at home thinking about it.
It was mentioned by a journo in his presser. We have conceded less than 1gl per game and averaging about 2gls a game since he’s taken over in the league only losing 2.

Zz, I understand United need a better CD. Point is - United have more pressing issues and not enough money/time to deal with it in one Summer.

What even is this lineup/formation... you've got your best CB as a RB and Jones as a CB. It's like compounding your own misery, Everton just targeting the flanks and we can't cope with it. Matic in midfield like a lorry trying to reverse.

Bah, I could go on for hours. Could be 2 down at least already. How many corners have Everton had already? Where's the passion lads, even if you're not good enough.

Matic has been absolutely dogshit! Where was the closing down or challenge on Sigurdson. But what was Martial doing when the break first started ffs!

Matic has been absolutely dogshit! Where was the closing down or challenge on Sigurdson. But what was Martial doing when the break first started ffs!

Why did we even pick Matic, he's ****, everything about United is **** right now. I don't trust any of it going forward, I knew Solskjaer would fail as soon as that contract happened.

Not happy with any of this, everything about today was wrong, trying to play this counter attack **** once again and being dominated. Just sick of it honestly.

I feel for us as fans to be honest, we're the ones who have had to put up with 7 years of **** and still no clear direction.

This team just looks shot physically. No energy no fight no nothing atm. The end of the season can’t come soon enough for Ole. So he can start getting this squad sorted.

Back