The Manchester United Thread

They are not fine or squad options because they keep starting and costing us goals. We can't rest it up any longer, Jones & Young are nowhere near good enough. Smalling is arguable as well but not as bad.

We're Man United facing a massive rebuild and we seriously think that making Carrick Assistant manager is a good move? We should be employing the best, right now we've got an inexperienced manager at top-level football and will have an inexperienced assistant manager if Carrick is promoted to that role.

How can we get back anywhere close to where we want to be when we keep cutting corners like this? this isn't me being negative either, I'm genuinely concerned. Maybe some United fans are all sentimental and nostalgic about this, but to me it's not a club really progressing.

Are we actually going to even replace Phelan in the coaching setup if we make him technical director?

This is why people get ****** off ZZ, because you do stuff like this. Even when it's literally been explained a million times.

People are obsessed with experience.

HOW DID THAT WORK OUT LAST TIME?!

It's about the right fit, so much more than anything.

Also if Ole's ever needing some experienced thoughts, 1) Phelan is incredibly experienced as an assistant manager. Or have we forgotten who he was once assistant manager under. Not like he's going to disappear 2) There's a bespectacled scotsman floating about.

Another clean sheet for Dean Henderson. The lad just keeps on proving himself think that 19 now. So glad we got him tied down!

People are obsessed with experience.

HOW DID THAT WORK OUT LAST TIME?!

It's about the right fit, so much more than anything.

Also if Ole's ever needing some experienced thoughts, 1) Phelan is incredibly experienced as an assistant manager. Or have we forgotten who he was once assistant manager under. Not like he's going to disappear 2) There's a bespectacled scotsman floating about.
I really don’t get it. People talk about green and experience. It’s a good job Barca didn’t think like that when they offered the job to Pep!

Its like Phelan hasn’t been in football for nearly his whole adult life and part of one the the most successful teams/ clubs in the history of football working with one of the greates managers of all time. Same goes for Carrick!

Well I suppose no manager or coach has ever failed or been through a bad time in there career.

So they had a bad time, who cares? Are you a football club or a charity for failed former coaches? Nobody falls down from high-profile position at Manchester United all the way to working for semi-professional club in farmers league half across the world, not without a good reason.

If Rene and Pheland were so amazing, you'd think biggest clubs in the world would be fighting with nuclear weapons for a chance to hire them as coaches. Instead both of their careers went down the ******* rapidly after Fergie retired, and they both ended up working in ****-end of nowhere. Clearly they're not as highly regarded as you think they are.

So they had a bad time, who cares? Are you a football club or a charity for failed former coaches? Nobody falls down from high-profile position at Manchester United all the way to working for semi-professional club in farmers league half across the world, not without a good reason.

If Rene and Pheland were so amazing, you'd think biggest clubs in the world would be fighting with nuclear weapons for a chance to hire them as coaches. Instead both of their careers went down the ******* rapidly after Fergie retired, and they both ended up working in ****-end of nowhere. Clearly they're not as highly regarded as you think they are.
Well clearly all these successful ex players must be talking bollocks then.

Fergie most likely only kept them around so long because they were good at making tea and coffee and putting the balls away after practice.

Last edited:
I thought the whole point of this director of football was to make up for the deficiencies of Woodward in signing players and making sure the signings are the right one for United.

Don't understand what Phelan is going to do if the role is anything like that, he doesn't have the contacts or player knowledge in Europe. Well not to the degree of others when he has been working in Australia how could he?

-----

Yes Phelan knows the club.... but that doesn't necessarily tell me he knows the way forward for this club. It's two totally different things. For all we know Phelan's vision for Unirwd is going back to the Fergie fundamentals, we can't keep looking back.

I thought the whole point of this director of football was to make up for the deficiencies of Woodward in signing players and making sure the signings are the right one for United.

Don't understand what Phelan is going to do if the role is anything like that, he doesn't have the contacts or player knowledge in Europe. Well not to the degree of others when he has been working in Australia how could he?

-----

Yes Phelan knows the club.... but that doesn't necessarily tell me he knows the way forward for this club. It's two totally different things. For all we know Phelan's vision for Unirwd is going back to the Fergie fundamentals, we can't keep looking back.

Yes, by organising the scouting team to find the right profiles of players, and improve recruitment.

We have 35 scouts, highly experienced with networks of their own. That's what Phelan or whoever will be organising. But we said this just yesterday....

Why are we having the same discussions over and over?

WE wouldnt know Mitchell's ideas any more than Phelan's yet either

Last edited:
Well clearly all these successful ex players must be talking bollocks then.

By a complete coincidence the same group of ex-players doesn't have a single person who went on to became a successful coach or manager. That's definitely the kind of experts you should be taking advice from.

By a complete coincidence the same group of ex-players doesn't have a single person who went on to became a successful coach or manager. That's definitely the kind of experts you should be taking advice from.

TBf, you're underrating them as much as ToD is overrating Rene. Don't need Meulensteen back.

Do need to get transfers sorted out and the conditioning of this side

I don't think he said this, at least can't find either the tweet or the article... Where are you finding these?
Was on reddit I think it was in a Jackson article someone said not Taylor. Right paper wrong Journo

Jamie Jackson

United are continuing to identify a candidate to become the club’s first technical director. While the position may be filled internally it is understood it is unlikely to be by Mike Phelan, Solskjær’s assistant manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/22/manchester-united-stars-exit-miss-top-four

Was on reddit I think it was in a Jackson article someone said not Taylor. Right paper wrong Journo

Jamie Jackson

United are continuing to identify a candidate to become the club’s first technical director. While the position may be filled internally it is understood it is unlikely to be by Mike Phelan, Solskjær’s assistant manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/22/manchester-united-stars-exit-miss-top-four

Definitely easier if you post the original source rather than reddit, article will always have more context

We won't be getting top 4 though chaps as City will stuff us and we will struggle against Chelsea though it's a more even game on paper.

Zz's right. In this form, I don't envisage us getting top 4 this season with our fixtures unless we someone channel that same form prior to the PSG game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Back