The Manchester United Thread

Team for me against City should be:

DDG
Dalot, Lindelof, Smalling, Shaw
Fred
Mctominey-Herrera
Lingard, Lukaku, Sanchez

After what Ole said though can see Dalot being dropped

Dalot doesn't deserve any stick for his performance, playing here there and everywhere right now.

But agree with you tbh, we need Herrera back so bad.

Dalot doesn't deserve any stick for his performance, playing here there and everywhere right now.

But agree with you tbh, we need Herrera back so bad.
Not really new for a young lad tbh. But he’s been one of our better players tbf. But he was really bad yesterday and at fault for 2 gls and the first one especially he should of stick his head in there. That’s what Ole is talking about in his presser.

#mufc are ready to offer Mike Phelan the role of technical director, and promote Carrick to assistant manager. Phelan wants to retain an influence on match days. While the club want him to be responsible for the overseeing of the rebuild #mulive

#mufc are ready to offer Mike Phelan the role of technical director, and promote Carrick to assistant manager. Phelan wants to retain an influence on match days. While the club want him to be responsible for the overseeing of the rebuild #mulive

Again.. give the source for this kind of thing. This literally could be Bob from Salford

Overseeing the rebuild is ok, but since he and Ole has been here we've given contracts to Jones, Smalling and Young. Not saying it was necessarily down to Phelan, but I get the feeling he likes those types of players.... rightly or wrong. I'm not overly enthused by it but meh, we'll see how it goes I guess.

Overseeing the rebuild is ok, but since he and Ole has been here we've given contracts to Jones, Smalling and Young. Not saying it was necessarily down to Phelan, but I get the feeling he likes those types of players.... rightly or wrong. I'm not overly enthused by it but meh, we'll see how it goes I guess.

Happy to have all three as back ups tbh. With Tuanzebe, you can always then sell one of the centrebacks for a fee.

Young should play less but still be here in the squad. His leadership is more valuable than his playing ability

Im not saying Ole didn’t have a say. But I read that those negotiations were already way underway before Ole got the job. Anyway there fine and squad options.

Im not saying Ole didn’t have a say. But I read that those negotiations were already way underway before Ole got the job. Anyway there fine and squad options.

They are not fine or squad options because they keep starting and costing us goals. We can't rest it up any longer, Jones & Young are nowhere near good enough. Smalling is arguable as well but not as bad.

We're Man United facing a massive rebuild and we seriously think that making Carrick Assistant manager is a good move? We should be employing the best, right now we've got an inexperienced manager at top-level football and will have an inexperienced assistant manager if Carrick is promoted to that role.

How can we get back anywhere close to where we want to be when we keep cutting corners like this? this isn't me being negative either, I'm genuinely concerned. Maybe some United fans are all sentimental and nostalgic about this, but to me it's not a club really progressing.

Are we actually going to even replace Phelan in the coaching setup if we make him technical director?

As for Smalling, Jones and Young starting and costing us points, what do you expect? We don't have backups. That is why they are squad players. Next year, when we have in the players we want/need/get(whichever of those options), they will go back to being squad options.

We can't ****** go replacing squad options next summer, when we already need to replace first teamers. Think zz. They are starting now precisely because they're squad players and we don't have very many options. It takes time to develop a squad. How the **** can you replace 22 people in a window? It takes time, have patience! Besides, good or not, you need some continuity in the dressing room. Say what you will, but in the olden days, they would have kicked everyone's *** twice over, and run them ragged in practice after such a performance. But you can only do that with a dressing room that is strong, with some continuity.

You always want the trigger-heavy option of kicking players out (Mata?), while the truth is he is more valuable in the dressing room, and as an influence on de Gea.

As for Carrick, I myself have my doubts. I still feel Mourinho missed Faria this season, which is where it all started going awry. We need a good Assistant Manager, honestly thought Phelan was best for the role. Which he will still be, if we get van Der Sar. IF not, I dunno, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I kinda wish we can get Meulensteen back too, what is he doing nowadays?

Last edited:
As for Carrick, I myself have my doubts. I still feel Mourinho missed Faria this season, which is where it all started going awry. We need a good Assistant Manager, honestly thought Phelan was best for the role. Which he will still be, if we get van Der Sar. IF not, I dunno, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I kinda wish we can get Meulensteen back too, what is he doing nowadays?

Meulensteen is free by all accounts, recently done an interview on FullTimeDevils talking up the club and how he would like to come back. I don't know Sherkey, I just feel it's all getting a bit too sentimental with where we are heading with this setup. Phelan as technical director, Solskjaer as manager and Carrick assistant manager........

I take your points about how we can't replace all the squad obviously but the thing that really irks me is when people keep saying that they are 'fine''. Jones has been a liability for years and years, then we give him a 5 year contract. He has been just as bad last few weeks, I don't honestly know who made this decision. It has to be part of the current setup or our pathetic board, either way this is supposedly who is going to take us forward this summer.........

I don't get all this obsession with hiring Fergie's old henchmen. Phelan and Meulensteen have done **** all in their own careers.

I don't get all this obsession with hiring Fergie's old henchmen. Phelan and Meulensteen have done **** all in their own careers.

We keep trying to go back to this Fergie style United which will never happen, club needs to progress and move on from all this now. Solskjaer has his own vision I'm hoping but he does keep referencing this and it kind of worries me when you see the appointments we are making alongside him.

Why are so many obsessing over VDS? Everyone doubting Carrick needs to have a look at themselves. He’s been a model pro with a fantastic football IQ. Obviously has the qualifications or he wouldn’t of passed his badges. And you listen to any player first team or youth and they all say how he’s done well at giving advice/coaching etc. A huge part of Mctominey adaptation to first team football is down to Carrick.

Some serious underating here of Phelan and Meulesteen as coaches!

Last edited:
Tbh Mitchell and Van Der Sar's experience in that role count in higher regard to Phelan's in Australia. I'm not saying he's a terrible choice but I would prefer someone a bit more fresh into the club and bring new ideas.

Carrick may well be a great coach but if we're losing Phelan from the coaching setup, if you look at it generally it does look rather lacking. McKenna, Carrick, Solskjaer and that other guy from Molde who I've forgot the name who he brought with him as first-team coaches.

IF Phelan does go from the coaching staff then I think we should replace him with someone who's some good experience behind them to backup Solskjaer, Carrick and McKenna if we're insisting on this way.

Why are so many obsessing over VDS? Everyone doubting Carrick needs to have a look at themselves. He’s been a model pro with a fantastic football IQ. Obviously has the qualifications or he wouldn’t of passed his badges. And you listen to any player first team or youth and they all say how he’s done well at giving advice/coaching etc. A huge part of Mctominey adaptation to first team football is down to Carrick.

Some serious underating here of Phelan and Meulesteen as coaches!

Reality check: Melenesteen was a failure everywhere he went after leaving United and he is now unemployed. Likewise, Phelan failed everywhere he went, and his last club was in Australia. Clearly nobody in the business is rating them, so why should we? The only impressive thing these two have done in their entire careers is working as yesmen for Fergie a decade ago.

As for Carrick, I'm sorry but the guy is so green he ****** grass. Given that Ole is also green, the sensible thing would be to back him with a seasoned veteran assitant who actually has some idea how things work on this level.

Tbh Mitchell and Van Der Sar's experience in that role count in higher regard to Phelan's in Australia. I'm not saying he's a terrible choice but I would prefer someone a bit more fresh into the club and bring new ideas.

Carrick may well be a great coach but if we're losing Phelan from the coaching setup, if you look at it generally it does look rather lacking. McKenna, Carrick, Solskjaer and that other guy from Molde who I've forgot the name who he brought with him as first-team coaches.

IF Phelan does go from the coaching staff then I think we should replace him with someone who's some good experience behind them to backup Solskjaer, Carrick and McKenna if we're insisting on this way.
You do realise VDS has **** all to do with transfers and he’s the CEO at Ajax doing the role of Woodward and Overmars is the DOF and handles transfers etc. So that’s bollocks tbh!

Reality check: Melenesteen was a failure everywhere he went after leaving United and he is now unemployed. Likewise, Phelan failed everywhere he went, and his last club was in Australia. Clearly nobody in the business is rating them, so why should we? The only impressive thing these two have done in their entire careers is working as yesmen for Fergie a decade ago.

As for Carrick, I'm sorry but the guy is so green he ****** grass. Given that Ole is also green, the sensible thing would be to back him with a seasoned veteran assitant who actually has some idea how things work on this level.
Bollocks yes men my **** plenty of of ex players have talked highly of both of them even ex coaches that have worked at the club. Meulensteen was a great coach for our youth also while he was skills development coach.

Bollocks yes men my **** plenty of of ex players have talked highly of both of them even ex coaches that have worked at the club. Meulensteen was a great coach for our youth also while he was skills development coach.

So he's great coach, everybody speaks highly of him, and yet for some reason he couldn't' even hack it in the Israeli and Indian leagues.

Makes sense.

So he's great coach, everybody speaks highly of him, and yet for some reason he couldn't' even hack it in the Israeli and Indian leagues.

Makes sense.
Well I suppose no manager or coach has ever failed or been through a bad time in there career.

Back