The Manchester United Thread

Not getting involved with Lukaku but zz mate, you can’t call this player and that player for being a problem off the field and then want a complete malcontent like Icardi brought into the changies.

Thats ridiculous selective hypocrisy.

Not getting involved with Lukaku but zz mate, you can’t call this player and that player for being a problem off the field and then want a complete malcontent like Icardi brought into the changies.

Thats ridiculous selective hypocrisy.

Lukaku carries baggage as well though, was only a few weeks back his agent was on Sky sports saying how his future are open and wants new challenges.

Icardi does carry baggage which is an issue in itself, but a lot of footballers these days do. I don't know what the alternative is because Lukaku is pants.

But you don’t just replace one with another because ones a far better player. You’re still having all the off-field issues (and Icardi’s been a complete spoiled brat at Inter) that you naturally want Solksjaer to sort out and change the whole culture at Utd.

Its not a video game man. You can’t just drop a name in and think it’ll all magically mesh off the park. Some things are WAY bigger than just a name/ talent.

Thats Woodward thinking who you (naturally. And rightly) want to get away from.

But you don’t just replace one with another because ones a far better player. You’re still having all the off-field issues (and Icardi’s been a complete spoiled brat at Inter) that you naturally want Solksjaer to sort out and change the whole culture at Utd.

Its not a video game man. You can’t just drop a name in and think it’ll all magically mesh off the park. Some things are WAY bigger than just a name/ talent.

Thats Woodward thinking who you (naturally. And rightly) want to get away from.

Can't argue with you there tbf. You're right more than anything the culture needs to change. That's why I think players like Henderson and Milner are so important for you lot. Even though fans may say they are limited in some ways as footballers, they offer far more off the field that is essential to the overall team dynamic.

Last edited:
Can’t believe some actually want to sell arguably and still is imo the best GK in the world.

The way he's been playing this season he's not even top 3 goalkeeper in the Premier League.

There’s actually nothing wrong with De Gea distribution.

facepalm.jpg

In any case it's gonna be difficult situation with De Gea in the summer. He wants a massive raise, but hasn't even been playing good enough to warrant his current wages. And Zzezzy has a point that a 29-year old reflex merchant is likely only going to continue declining. Then again, ditching your best player of the past 6-7 years on the basis of one sloppy season doesn't seem right.

No way in **** do we want Icardi in our dressing room, there's enough turmoil as it is. Besides, call a spade a spade, he is a poacher. You can't call out DDG for his distribution skills, and in the same minute, want Icardi, who is a glorified poacher (albeit a good one). Dybala would suit us much better, especially if we are flogging off Lukaku to the Serie A (where apparently he wants to move).

And god, no, wouldn't want to let DDG go. That is absolutely mental. He has had one bad season. One. And everyone is going gung ho on a distribution style GK now. It was popular also in the older days (van Der Sar era, when he was starting out). And then the dominant playing style changed. And a regular GK became the norm again. It's always been a cycle. Stop jizzing on a distribution GK. If DDG gets back to his normal form next season, I don't give a hoot about his bad distribution, if he starts saving lilke Superman, Aquaman and Mr Fantastic rolled into one. :/

Also, have you imagined the cost involved to replace him? Who could we get that would be an upgrade or has the potential to be one? Oblak? or Donnarrumma? Their transfer fees and wages are likely to be insane.

t's not just the distribution though Sherkey, it's his lack of presence in the box and commanding an area. Every time there is a corner how often do you see him come and take control to collect it? At best you might get a punch, but that's rare in itself.

Tbh more I think about it you and Scouse have a point about Icardi, his attitude would be an issue, it's probably the last thing we need right now.

But let's hypothetically say that Lukaku does want to go, there aren't many good alternatives. Dybala is a pipe dream and isn't really that prolific of a goalscorer either recently. I've always quiet liked Callum Wilson from Bournemouth, think he would fit an Ole system.

Don't think we can build anything with Lukaku going forward though, think Ole knows that as much as anyone. once why he never seemingly plays him over Rashford in bigger games.

Richarlison is the latest rumour, wouldn't be against that.... didn't realise.he was only 21! For some reason thought he was coming up to his 30's in age. Definitely a talented player, not sure where we play him though.

And everyone is going gung ho on a distribution style GK now. It was popular also in the older days (van Der Sar era, when he was starting out). And then the dominant playing style changed. And a regular GK became the norm again. It's always been a cycle.

It might be early signs of Alzheimers, but I certainly don't remember early VDS era as sweeper-keepers dominant. There were couple of high-profile guys playing in this style(VDS, Chilavert, Hiquita) but it was always an exception to the rule.

Right now it's not an exception - goalkeepers are simply being trained to be good at passing and distribution. So it's gonna remain the dominant style for the foreseeable future.

More importantly it's not just about passing anymore, it's also about having enough pace to rush quickly out of your area. You can see it with Neuer's decline that he has lost a knick of pace after the injury and just doesn't have that confidence he used to be famous for.

Look around, almost all the elite teams have goalkeepers who are so good at passing they could easily play in the midfield. That's just not going to go away. My prediction would be that immortal goalkeepers playing into their 40s is not something we're going to witness in modern football and Buffon is probably the last of his kind. Being both an 11th outfield player and a goalkeeper requires a lot more athleticism.

Richarlison is the latest rumour, wouldn't be against that.... didn't realise.he was only 21! For some reason thought he was coming up to his 30's in age. Definitely a talented player, not sure where we play him though.

He’s played and looked good at CF for club and country this season, and also fits Ole’s quick, high energy vision. Can play anywhere in the front line too.

IDK why y'all are making out DDG's distribution to be garbage. Under LVG, DDG's distribution was ******* mint at times as LVG encouraged De Gea to take shorter kicks. He's definitely no slouch in that regards. His confidence this season just hasn't allowed him to take bolder risks and Jose didn't encourage him to take shorter GKs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The Manchester United

Great thread.

On the subject of our kits, unfortunately, I believe both the Home & this Black one to be real; and I assume the latter will be our away kit with the Blue one being our third. The Blue one is gorgeous imo so I hope it's real.

Just seeing reports all across that Pogba is again angling for a move, after Raiola apparently cancelled meetings. Honestly, I don't know the veracity of these statements, but if Madrid is making a big offer more than 100 Mn, I would flog him off without a second thought, the way things are.

Pogba requires a midfield to be built around him, he expects others to work hard, so that he can just attack. Plus, he is throwing his toys out of the pram at every single opportunity. Honestly, get rid of him, and ask for a player in exchange, if we can wrangle it - Varane comes to mind, incase we get Top 4. Plus, I don't want him as our captain if all he does is underwhelm and apparently cause turmoil.

However, if Madrid makes an underwhelming bid, we should just reject it, and if Pogba makes a mess, ask him to train with reserves. He needs to learn that his ego needs to calm down, and honestly, Solskjaer kinda needs to asset himself more on the squad.

We keep hearing talk of the negativity of going back to Sir Alex's regime, but honestly, not one of these rabbits would have dared open their mouth during his tenure. Don't see too many players throwing toys out of their pram under Guardiola or Klopp, either. Solksjaer needs to assert himself, if nothing else. And Woodward needs to really stop jizzing to Pogba's social media, and actually treat him like a player.

Just seeing reports all across that Pogba is again angling for a move, after Raiola apparently cancelled meetings. Honestly, I don't know the veracity of these statements, but if Madrid is making a big offer more than 100 Mn, I would flog him off without a second thought, the way things are.

Pogba requires a midfield to be built around him, he expects others to work hard, so that he can just attack. Plus, he is throwing his toys out of the pram at every single opportunity. Honestly, get rid of him, and ask for a player in exchange, if we can wrangle it - Varane comes to mind, incase we get Top 4. Plus, I don't want him as our captain if all he does is underwhelm and apparently cause turmoil.

However, if Madrid makes an underwhelming bid, we should just reject it, and if Pogba makes a mess, ask him to train with reserves. He needs to learn that his ego needs to calm down, and honestly, Solskjaer kinda needs to asset himself more on the squad.

We keep hearing talk of the negativity of going back to Sir Alex's regime, but honestly, not one of these rabbits would have dared open their mouth during his tenure. Don't see too many players throwing toys out of their pram under Guardiola or Klopp, either. Solksjaer needs to assert himself, if nothing else. And Woodward needs to really stop jizzing to Pogba's social media, and actually treat him like a player.
Agree mate. Get a big offer and let him go. Don’t like losing good players. But we can build a better team and more cohesive one without him imo. Think Ole has been assertive tbh. Completely froze out the club Captain Valencia after refusing the year offer he had. Bailly been completely frozen out due to attitude problems allegedly. And if Herrera doesn’t feature anymore or Mata then you could say he’s been ruthless with them to. I honestly don’t think Ole minds speaking what he thinks. And many ex team mates have said as much.

Yeah Varane would be the only player I would be interested in from Madrid. Also if the L,Equipe reports are true about Bailly and Lyon being interested. We should use him to get one of Depay, Aour, Ndombele. Also happy the club are willing to loan out Sanchez if they can’t sell. We just need him gone!

Last edited:
Madrid aren't taking both Pogba and Hazard for silly money.

And I don't see any way Hazard isn't in Madrid next year.

To be honest think there is two sides to every story, Pogba is clearly fighting a losing battle in trying to be successful here because the garbage he has to play with around him. That's not his fault, a club like United should have 2 or 3 top class players in their outfield but right now we have none others in that bracket.

Having said that I do think Pogba is a negative influence in the dressing room and represents a lot of things wrong about United at the moment. Either way, whether he stays or goes there will be repercussions for united... especially if we don't replace him with significant players.

Ed Woodward is obsessed with players like Pogba, big shirt sellers and money makers commercially, I can't see him letting Pogba go unless things go really toxic. Which they could do lets be honest, if they aren't already behind closed doors.

Chelsea presser

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has no intention of dropping David de Gea: "Going through touch patches is part of a footballer's career and David will be fine."

Also confident Paul Pogba will stay: "You can't guarantee anything in football but yes I think Paul is going to be here. I can assure you that he is very determined to be successful at United."

"You could see on Wednesday a team wanting to play for each other," Ole says. "We are all really hurt by losing and we know for this club to be successful again, we have to stick together, absolutely 24/7." #MUFC

We haven't scored from open play in 527 minutes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

It's our worst run of form in 58 years, regardless of what others may think. We aren't doing any of the basics well at the moment, that's our problem.

Back