The Manchester United Thread

Okay, now I feel you guys give Zz too much **** and I will admit, he can be a bit repetitive with his concerns but some of his concerns are indeed valid.

Will OGS' appointment work out? Looking at our recent run, you'd have every reason to doubt it. Now, people bring up conditioning but we can't simply put that insipid performance against everton down to conditioning since the players never showed up from minute 1. I'm pragmatic enough to hold off any criticism of OGS until next season but I won't be surprised if not much will change in terms of current performances. Ole could very well be a flash in the pan and a good short term option but what about long term?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'ts not about valid or nor valid. He's repeating the same **** every 12 hours. Knowing full well absolutely none of it can change until the end of the season. It's stupid.

Also saying nothing will change, when just 2 months ago we saw how devastating the players can be, is also stupid

We can't judge long term, because we are not in the close season for long term plans such as transfers to start occurring.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll ever agree on it though Mike, for me the appointment of Solskjaer went entirely against what they said they were going to do from the start... wait until end of season before making a decision. But no of course they jump the gun because they can't make calculated footballing decisions hence the need for a Director Of Football badly.

Compound that to contracts with Smalling, Jones and Young then we're off to a losing start to this supposed great incoming rebuild. People who think Smalling is even good enough need to seriously ask themselves a question.... why does he never get into a Southgate England team? Cos he's not good enough to play out from the back, this is supposedly what an Ole system is going to be doing next season.

--------------

But anyway that's the last I'll say on the matter until next season at least anyway.

Smalling isn't good enough to play out from the back? Did you ever watch a game under lvg? He was class and always bringing the ball forward. Unless it's his brother Mike I'm getting confused with

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't buy this not fit enough ****. When ole came in we was a different team. Maybe have been a bounce from a new manager but we was playing quicker and getting forward. Lose a few games and it's gone to ****. Now the excuse is were not fit. How? We had half a season under mourinho where we hardly run. So if they have done **** all for half a season, then make an effort on par with top sides for 2 months, all of a sudden they are knackered again?

They are professional athletes on tens and hundreds of thousands a week. And done **** all near required for half a season before they started running. Fatigue and fitness shouldn't be our excise now. And it's not like they have no energy at all. If they ran flat out for 60/70 minutes then got tired and dropped off then fair enough. But against Everton we didn't run from minute 1. Are we to believe playing 12 games at a different pace from before has wiped them out? If so they all need sacking

Smalling isn't good enough to play out from the back? Did you ever watch a game under lvg? He was class and always bringing the ball forward. Unless it's his brother Mike I'm getting confused with

Smalling is tough as nails, great in the air and surprisingly quick for a centerback, but he's basically a 1980s type of defender. It's true, under LVG it seemed as if suddenly Franz Beckenbauer died and his soul went into Smalling. But 3 years later I think it's obvious that it's not that Smalling magically improved, it's just that LVGs extremely structured approach to football was making up for Smallings tactical inadequacies.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll ever agree on it though Mike, for me the appointment of Solskjaer went entirely against what they said they were going to do from the start... wait until end of season before making a decision. But no of course they jump the gun because they can't make calculated footballing decisions hence the need for a Director Of Football badly.

Compound that to contracts with Smalling, Jones and Young then we're off to a losing start to this supposed great incoming rebuild. People who think Smalling is even good enough need to seriously ask themselves a question.... why does he never get into a Southgate England team? Cos he's not good enough to play out from the back, this is supposedly what an Ole system is going to be doing next season.

--------------

But anyway that's the last I'll say on the matter until next season at least anyway.
You keep highlighting this all the time zZ. They are not the best, but they are good enough to be rotational options. That is why they received new contracts. And they add to our homegrown contingent.

They are rotational, and won't start next season. They are perfect for rotation, though, and you do need an alternate to a BPD, and Smalling is good at staying back. As for Young, he has a one year contract extension, and as long as he doesn't start next season, it is still a pretty good deal covering for injuries (the club is already looking for a RB, and Shaw will start on the left). Young can cover for multiple positions, and gives it his all on the pitch, generally. And we need leaders in the dressing room, and he atleast serves as that.

You are basically looking at the past few games, seeing Young, Jones and Smalling starting and hyperventilating about the future. IF they are still starting at the start of next season, I will give you that. But until then, it is a situation noone can do anything about, due to a lack of other players in the positions. Besides, with a new CB next season, we would have to go to the market to get two more passable CBs incase Smalling and Jones weren't extending, adding to an already seemingly impossible rebuild.

I don't buy this not fit enough ****. When ole came in we was a different team. Maybe have been a bounce from a new manager but we was playing quicker and getting forward. Lose a few games and it's gone to ****. Now the excuse is were not fit. How? We had half a season under mourinho where we hardly run. So if they have done **** all for half a season, then make an effort on par with top sides for 2 months, all of a sudden they are knackered again?

They are professional athletes on tens and hundreds of thousands a week. And done **** all near required for half a season before they started running. Fatigue and fitness shouldn't be our excise now. And it's not like they have no energy at all. If they ran flat out for 60/70 minutes then got tired and dropped off then fair enough. But against Everton we didn't run from minute 1. Are we to believe playing 12 games at a different pace from before has wiped them out? If so they all need sacking

You don't buy it but we've seen it.

All season we were outrun by EVERY SINGLE OPPONENT under Mourinho. Under Solskjaer we immediately outran every single opponents then after about 12 games we suffered about 5 hamstring injuries and immediately stopped doing so. It's not coincidence. It is however extremely damning of the fitness of the side.

Saying they are professional athletes is largely irrelevant. They don't control the level of their conditioning. This is something you bring to a level in pre season, and maintain throughout the season, because the body has to be ready to sustain that over long term periods.

We saw it last night against the fittest side in the league. Blowing after half an hour. Then we started dropping off, being second best, got picked off

You keep highlighting this all the time zZ. They are not the best, but they are good enough to be rotational options. That is why they received new contracts. And they add to our homegrown contingent.

They are rotational, and won't start next season. They are perfect for rotation, though, and you do need an alternate to a BPD, and Smalling is good at staying back. As for Young, he has a one year contract extension, and as long as he doesn't start next season, it is still a pretty good deal covering for injuries (the club is already looking for a RB, and Shaw will start on the left). Young can cover for multiple positions, and gives it his all on the pitch, generally. And we need leaders in the dressing room, and he atleast serves as that.

You are basically looking at the past few games, seeing Young, Jones and Smalling starting and hyperventilating about the future. IF they are still starting at the start of next season, I will give you that. But until then, it is a situation noone can do anything about, due to a lack of other players in the positions. Besides, with a new CB next season, we would have to go to the market to get two more passable CBs incase Smalling and Jones weren't extending, adding to an already seemingly impossible rebuild.
Exactly!!!

When did City become the de facto fittest side in the league? And not 'one of the fittest?'

Twice I've seen that the last 12 hours or so.

Curious minds and all that. Shrugs.

When did City become the de facto fittest side in the league? And not 'one of the fittest?'

Twice I've seen that the last 12 hours or so.

Curious minds and all that. Shrugs.

Fittest, one of the fittest. You're pointless splitting hairs over the core issue.

Shrugs

Honestly would be happy for Fletcher to come in at some capacity. Listening to him a lot lately on various pods and 5 live. Talks a **** of a lot of sense and admits to being a real student of the game. Didn’t realise he’d done his badges and been doing a bit of advising for Scottish FA/National team.

Fittest, one of the fittest. You're pointless splitting hairs over the core issue.

Shrugs

It was a genuine question as you specifically made the point. Twice.

But regardless, whilst you're right over Utd's P poor fitness levels, there's also no excuse for a lot of the players completely downing tools and putting zero effort in at all at Everton. Which I believe was Robbo's point. We struggled with up and down fitness (and a horrible run of injuries related to it) whilst they changed from Rodgers to Klopp but at the least, they were giving everything every game and 5 months in they were looking a lot fitter than when he first arrived and lasting longer. And he never tipped up until the October in 2015.

So the fitness line only goes so far and is being badly overused here. As pertinent as the general point is.

Honestly would be happy for Fletcher to come in at some capacity. Listening to him a lot lately on various pods and 5 live. Talks a **** of a lot of sense and admits to being a real student of the game. Didn’t realise he’d done his badges and been doing a bit of advising for Scottish FA/National team.

Totally wrong move for me, this club seems to be obsessed with having to hire someone who has previous connection with the club. If you're looking to become the best in the business, lets hire the best in the business.

There are thousands of people in Fletcher's position, I don't see how him and & Phelan seem like a good idea to take this club forward. We need someone to come in and shake this joint up, fresh approach and new ideas. Not people who are built on the old regime and think we can get back to the Fergie way.

--------

Theoretically we will look like this: -

Phelan
Fletcher

CSolskjaerC
arrick
McKenna

That's really the way to take us forward? Is anyone actually genuinely thinking the biggest rebuild this club has ever had will be turned around with that. Sigh.

Noone is looking at Fletcher. We have been beset with rumours ever since we announced are looking for a DoF. So, it's probably just that. Rumours.

The only problem is if the Glazers/Woodward are looking for yes-men. That makes it a problem. Let's hope not. But don't think I want Fletcher. I would be okay with Phelan, but I would be equally happy with someone foreign too. What I don't want is a figurehead appointment, just for the sake of it. That would be a disaster, and all that person would be is a scapegoat.

Anyhow, forget fitness, the players seem to be showing no desire to play on the pitch, too. Especially Pogba, he has largely been invisible on the pitch. He has been more inconsistent over the course of this season than Nani, and that is saying something. Honestly, if doesn't want to play, just flog him off for a good price. Will help with the rebuild, and will remove his nonsense from the dressing room. No point keeping him, and then him being a passenger in the team. He should have been carrying this ****** team.

I get tiredness and conditioning, but I don't get players not giving it their all. And we have seen too much of that in Pogba and MArtial. And sheer ineptitude in recent matches by Lukaku, Matic, Fred. Something has to give, even if it is a swift kick up the ****. It is ridiculous that they are getting away with it, on the surface.

Noone is looking at Fletcher. We have been beset with rumours ever since we announced are looking for a DoF. So, it's probably just that. Rumours.

The only problem is if the Glazers/Woodward are looking for yes-men. That makes it a problem. Let's hope not. But don't think I want Fletcher. I would be okay with Phelan, but I would be equally happy with someone foreign too. What I don't want is a figurehead appointment, just for the sake of it. That would be a disaster, and all that person would be is a scapegoat..

I honestly don't know what we have to do to see Greenwood, the guy is scoring and playing levels above anyone in this team, he can't do any worse than these. Yes I know it's different football level in itself but if he can't get a chance now, when will he? When Lukaku came on he got the ball closer to the car park than the net.

Back