The Manchester United Thread

Only if we get a few significant signings in defence in my opinion.
We are definitely gonna sign a top FB and CB. Be good to see Tuanzebe playing week in week out in the Prem. Then bring him back and bin off the chuckle brothers next season.

Paying 19year old 250k+ wages will not get you out of the old ways. IT does not matter how good his potential is, he is 19. And you willing to pay that much. You think next ones will be happy with lower wages etc or even current players there, WC winner having similar wage or a bit more.

I know you have the luxury to pay this wage, but it seems you dont want to get out of that black hole of old ways. Another Sanchez will be in the making sooner or later.
I miss Zzzz.

United have always paid big wages, but there was always a heirarchy. Sanchez was the first time it was truly broken. IF and its a big IF, De Ligt signs, he's coming in as a senior player (forget his age, he's running that back line), and with a leadership role, with every chance of being captain in a couple of years.

United have always paid big wages, but there was always a heirarchy. Sanchez was the first time it was truly broken. IF and its a big IF, De Ligt signs, he's coming in as a senior player (forget his age, he's running that back line), and with a leadership role, with every chance of being captain in a couple of years.

If he is successful and becomes your captain in a couple of years time what happens at his next contract renewal? How much does he get then? There is no doubt he has potential i just find it odd how 2 weeks ago a lot of utd fans were saying they need to sign players who want to play for the badge not the money but now that has all gone out the window with the slightest mention of a big name.

If he is successful and becomes your captain in a couple of years time what happens at his next contract renewal? How much does he get then? There is no doubt he has potential i just find it odd how 2 weeks ago a lot of utd fans were saying they need to sign players who want to play for the badge not the money but now that has all gone out the window with the slightest mention of a big name.
think you will find its only 1 or 2 that want him for that kind of money

Nothing, because even this club has limits to what people get paid

No we said we needed people who will buy into what's going on here. De Ligt is that kind of player

Do people think he's going to get paid peanuts at Barcelona?

Also people have taken As and Marca as gospel here when they are about as reliable as the Sun

Nobody is going to be paying 400k, not even us. When DDG himself doesn't warrant it, a 19 year old definitely doesn't. He won't be getting that, more like 250k-ish probably, which even he came out and talked about (when dismissing rumours). More could be some add-ons for performance bonuses.

What will clinch is the Raiola fee, which probably Barca baulked at. That, and a first team undisputed start which is also a factor.

Also, people seem to be forgetting, whatever the rumours, de Ligt is not going to make the move till August. Due to Raiola's ban. Too many things can change till then, and ****, nothing has been confirmed. All of this could still be Raiola stretching Barca to the last mile to get a deal done. Neither United nor Barca have come out and said anything. In fact, latest rumours out of both camps have been suggesting looking at alternatives for de Ligt.

But in all honesty, if it is 400k, I would be against it. It will become untenable in a couple of years time.

Angel Gomes rubbished reports of him leaving OT in a interview yesterday.
Yeah, he will most likely get more opportunities this season, considering the state of our squad. Especially if Mata is leaving, and we can't replace him. Although, I have to say, if we get de Ligt wrapped up, that's some good business already this season (I'm still not optimistic about it, mind) - Daniel James, de Ligt, maybe Meunier/AWB and that's three potential problem areas taken care of. We need maybe two CMs (or one, but that's a risk) and then a FW. I'm not optimistic about getting both positions, mind, but we should manage a CM and a young FW.

Nothing, because even this club has limits to what people get paid

No we said we needed people who will buy into what's going on here. De Ligt is that kind of player

Do people think he's going to get paid peanuts at Barcelona?

Also people have taken As and Marca as gospel here when they are about as reliable as the Sun

If you need people to buy into the project why do you need to financially out muscle barc? Surely you would offer the same terms and the project/idea of utd would be enough? If he signs it will be for the money and nothing else.

If you need people to buy into the project why do you need to financially out muscle barc? Surely you would offer the same terms and the project/idea of utd would be enough? If he signs it will be for the money and nothing else.

Bottom line. Not least after he's made no secret that he craves CL football.

But it's all just baseless speculation emanating from Raiola's agency. People get so ridiculously caught-up in/ wound-up over window rumours it's an interesting exercise in the human psyche to observe.

Nobody is going to be paying 400k, not even us. When DDG himself doesn't warrant it, a 19 year old definitely doesn't. He won't be getting that, more like 250k-ish probably, which even he came out and talked about (when dismissing rumours). More could be some add-ons for performance bonuses.

What will clinch is the Raiola fee, which probably Barca baulked at. That, and a first team undisputed start which is also a factor.

Also, people seem to be forgetting, whatever the rumours, de Ligt is not going to make the move till August. Due to Raiola's ban. Too many things can change till then, and ****, nothing has been confirmed. All of this could still be Raiola stretching Barca to the last mile to get a deal done. Neither United nor Barca have come out and said anything. In fact, latest rumours out of both camps have been suggesting looking at alternatives for de Ligt.

But in all honesty, if it is 400k, I would be against it. It will become untenable in a couple of years time.

Exactly this. It's not even worth worrying about

Because that isn't how football works? Whether it's money, or location or heritage, the whole point is to make a unique selling point to the player. They aren't there to leave it up to fate, you're there to maximise the odds of getting the player you want.

Its not black and and white, and people can want more than one thing at the same time. And it's not just him, it's also his agent.

I really don't understand why people think in binary in football. We don't do it in any other industries

Last edited:
Bottom line. Not least after he's made no secret that he craves CL football.

But it's all just baseless speculation emanating from Raiola's agency. People get so ridiculously caught-up in/ wound-up over window rumours it's an interesting exercise in the human psyche to observe.

He's barely spoken about it at all, or moving in general, apart from teasing about joining Barcelona, and what factors go into any move which were:

[FONT=&quot]I look at what I think is the best for my career, where I can develop the best, where I can make the most playing minutes. On that I base my choice," [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] "Where do I see myself? Well obviously the Premier League is a big competition, Spain also, but you have other competitions. It's not just about those two.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I still don't know anything about where my future is, so I'll see how it goes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Of course there is some interest from clubs, but I don't want to say some names who are interested.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"But what I will say is I am now focused on the national team and after the national team I will see what the future brings."[/FONT]

I read that yesterday too and I know he's been coy on this. Earlier on through this process he'd talked about CL football being, naturally, hugely significant to him in that development.

But again, a lot of this nonsense is (presumingly) emanating from Raiola's agency. Who's as big an issue as anything with the ridiculous agent fee he's demanding.

I read that yesterday too and I know he's been coy on this. Earlier on through this process he'd talked about CL football being, naturally, hugely significant to him in that development.

But again, a lot of this nonsense is (presumingly) emanating from Raiola's agency. Who's as big an issue as anything with the ridiculous agent fee he's demanding.

No these were his words in a press conference. Raiola himself has been quiet given his issues. It's everyone else who is talking. The situation is still the same. Barcelona and United are viable options, the former the favourite Hut can't afford it, the latter the underdogs who can. And I don't doubt there will be others lurking

It's a waiting game, least of all on Barcelona needing to sell players to fund him and or Griezmann

Last edited:
Back