The Manchester United Thread

2 including Shaqiri imo. Sounds like it’s PSG or Barca who are faves for De Ligt. According to both Amoyal and Bouhafsi. But Utd still in the mix. But both fully expect him to chose between the other 2 in the next days.

Be interesting on the CB front now. Will have to go for potential again. Or trust Tuanzebe.

Shaqiri is amazing playing for Switzerland

That drop-off could well see Utd plummet out of the Europa League places never mind the CL spots.

de Gea, the past year aside, has been the one keeping them in the top 6 for long enough now. Going from one of the best in the World to a total novice at the highest level would be suicidal. Not least when you're not even bringing a kid into a stable situation to begin with.

Learning on the job is not a sound move when the position is one of the most important on the entire pitch.
Yeah, don't think Henderson will get a first team shot. Isn't yet ready for that kind of pressure, maybe. Especially since we are not in the CL, and he will be taking over from arguably one of the best GKs we have ever had (right up top with Stepney, Schmeichel and van der Sar). Will most likely get a rotational role for Cups if he stays back. Could very well go out on loan. We will get a replacement for DDG if he moves, and depending on who we get, could probably rotate with Romero.

Still feel we should go all out in trying to convince Oblak if we do let DDG go. OR Donnarruma. It will still be a drop-off from DDG as Superman/Popeye/Goku/what not (last season was an anamoly). But atleast, it won't be as huge.

Last edited:
Also, this is Daily Mail, so pinch of salt, but James is undergoing a medical. If so, that's atleast our first signing sorted then. Assume we get Meunier, and a young CB (somebody like Dias) and that's already a much more positive window than the previous two seasons (a stark contrast to my doom and gloom recently). Also, talks are on trying to convince Mata to extend, so that's good too.

Oh, and we need to start getting rid of deadwood soon too. Rojo, Darmian, Jones at the top of the list. Sanchez too, but that's less likely. Actually, I would keep Jones on if we get a new CB, and send Tuanzebe on loan at Villa again, get him experience at PL level.

Somewhere out there in the ether zz is clapping madly at that haha.

Thread transferal: Haha I mean I like Young, and he can still put in a performance, but he's turning 34 & being run into the ground. And idiotic fans wrongly channel their abuse at him. It's not his fault the club for cut corners/neglected the RB area since Neville retirement/Rafael sale, and play a 34 year old winger at FB for 3000+ mins a season as a result. Those mins should be sliced by at least 50%.

Last edited:
The Welsh FA and PA have confirmed about James being at Carrington for his medical. And Norwood the photographer has confirmed he’s there to do the pics afterwards. Looking forward to seeing this lad on tour. The talent is there.

Can’t wait to see Henderson in that No1 jersey :)

a good read on James btw!

With Daniel James on the brink of signing for #MUFC from Swansea, read @GregorRoberts0n's profile on the winger whose devastating debut season almost led to him joining Leeds in January. #Swans https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/daniel-james-the-lightning-fast-winger-set-to-join-manchester-united-one-year-after-rejecting-yeovil-town-7lx9glbbv …

Thread transferal: Haha I mean I like Young, and he can still put in a performance, but he's turning 34 & being run into the ground. And idiotic fans wrongly channel their abuse at him. It's not his fault the club for cut corners/neglected the RB area since Neville retirement/Rafael sale, and play a 34 year old winger at FB for 3000+ mins a season as a result. Those mins should be sliced by at least 50%.
Yeah, that much is certain. What I didn't agree with zZ was selling Young. Make him backup, but keep him. He is a senior figure, and is a useful player to have. Now, hopefully, with us getting either AwB or Meunier, Young's minutes should get reduced.

The Welsh FA and PA have confirmed about James being at Carrington for his medical. And Norwood the photographer has confirmed he’s there to do the pics afterwards. Looking forward to seeing this lad on tour. The talent is there.

Can’t wait to see Henderson in that No1 jersey :)

a good read on James btw!

With Daniel James on the brink of signing for #MUFC from Swansea, read @GregorRoberts0n's profile on the winger whose devastating debut season almost led to him joining Leeds in January. #Swanshttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/daniel-james-the-lightning-fast-winger-set-to-join-manchester-united-one-year-after-rejecting-yeovil-town-7lx9glbbv …
Uhm, I don't think Henderson is getting the No 1 jersey, ToD. That would be nuts, and way too bold a move. He may instead get minutes on loan this season, and could come in as rotation to whoever we get this season if DDG is sold. Cause Romero is getting on too, and we may look to move him on next season to make space for Henderson. But it's too early for him to replace DDG.

Yeah, that much is certain. What I didn't agree with zZ was selling Young. Make him backup, but keep him. He is a senior figure, and is a useful player to have. Now, hopefully, with us getting either AwB or Meunier, Young's minutes should get reduced.

Uhm, I don't think Henderson is getting the No 1 jersey, ToD. That would be nuts, and way too bold a move. He may instead get minutes on loan this season, and could come in as rotation to whoever we get this season if DDG is sold. Cause Romero is getting on too, and we may look to move him on next season to make space for Henderson. But it's too early for him to replace DDG.
Does it really matter if he gets it this year or next in the grand scheme of things. Ok you could say will have 1yr of Prem under his belt. But up until this point he’s done everything and some to prove he’s good enough. Successful in every level to date. He’s not exactly young anymore either. Think the club definitely have a plan for him after fighting to keep him and he’s definitely been talked up enough by coaches here. Will see I guess mate but wouldn’t be surprised either. But I suppose in a logical sense loan him to Sheffield for a season then replace DDG who will leave on a free next (doesn’t seem losing him on a free very smart imo) one thing I don’t doubt because he definitely has all the attributes for a top GK is his mentality which is fantastic!

Does it really matter if he gets it this year or next in the grand scheme of things. Ok you could say will have 1yr of Prem under his belt. But up until this point he’s done everything and some to prove he’s good enough. Successful in every level to date. He’s not exactly young anymore either. Think the club definitely have a plan for him after fighting to keep him and he’s definitely been talked up enough by coaches here. Will see I guess mate but wouldn’t be surprised either. But I suppose in a logical sense loan him to Sheffield for a season then replace DDG who will leave on a free next (doesn’t seem losing him on a free very smart imo) one thing I don’t doubt because he definitely has all the attributes for a top GK is his mentality which is fantastic!
It is still a massive step-up from the Championship to the Premier League, especially as the Number 1 GK for the one of the biggest clubs. Even more so, when he is taking over from DDG, with the media waiting to rip him apart at every tiny mistake. No, it will do more harm than good. I'd rather he spend it at Sheffield, and get adjusted to the PL and pace and physicality of it, thereby giving a much better view of how he will fare.

I have no idea about next season, and whether he will start, but I think he will replace Romero as #2 GK next season. Depends on who we get this season, anyway.

There will be a lot more pressure on him than on Tuanzebe despite both of them having played Championship football till now. More so because he is taking over from DDG and the fact that he is a GK.

Still think we will buy someone and loan him out, if DDG leaves.

All opinions I guess mate. Don’t think physicality comes into it especially when he dealt with that absolutely no problem whatsoever in the championship. Being commanding, coming off his line regularly to punch or catch crosses and corners definitely doesn’t mind getting in the thick of players. I definitely don’t think he will be a number 2. No chance imo it’s one of the reasons he nearly didn’t sign because hes sees himself as a No1. Think the club agrees or they would of just let him go. Henderson No1 and Romero, Joel or Kovar as No2 next season sounds good to me.

Donnarumma should be bought if DDG goes. Simple as that. Nothing about Henderson or any of that. Would class for world class.

If Henderson is deemed good enough to replace our most talented keeper of the century, and be #1 at the biggest club in the world, then surely PL clubs, even one or two top half ones, should be begging us to loan him there?

If Henderson is deemed good enough to replace our most talented keeper of the century, and be #1 at the biggest club in the world, then surely PL clubs, even one or two top half ones, should be begging us to loan him there?

Meh, we're happy with Alisson ta mate. :)

DJ has completed his medical with no issues and has traveled back to be with the Welsh squad. Announcement due on Monday.

On the other hand, with Buffon leaving, is very likely that PSG will try De Gea.

Let him go as far as I'm concerned. PSG aren't afraid to spend so I say we rob their pockets and let a disgruntled player go. I've loved De Gea but if the moneys there I'd take it

Both L, Equipe and the Times saying Utds prefered choice is AWB Palace refuse to budge on the supposed 70m fee. That’s why Meunier is a serious back up option for 22m.

Back