The Manchester United Thread

So what’s people’s thoughts on AWB, Maguire, Fernandes, James for our window IF!? Still feel we will be a wide/attacker player short depending on who leaves and DM. But would be happy with those 4.

Last edited:
So what’s people’s thoughts on AWB, Maguire, Fernandes, James for our window IF!? Still feel we will be a wide/attacker player short depending on who leaves and DM. But would be happy with those 4.
I'm not too happy. Fernandes is sort of a replacement for Pogba, in that he mainly attacks (atleast going by the stats posted on here before). We need to replace Herrerra, get a B2B with that energy an work-rate who can put in a defensive shift. Also, Maguire, not very happy with him, was never that impressed last season too, when we were linked with him, and haven't really changed my opinion through the season. He is an upgrade on Smalling and Jones, yes, but not better than Linddelof, honestly. I would rather a Ruben Dias, atleast he has the potential to grow.

While those four accurately address the positions we need, unsure about the personnel. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Fernandes here, but based on Ole's system, we need to replace Herrerra, and he isn't the replacement.

AWB: would be fine. Needs to develop his offensive game, but he's solid as **** at the back. I still prefer a more experienced RB because Dalot could benefit from that.

Maguire: I like him a lot. I regard him as a better ball-playing CB than Stones.

Fernandes: great player, tho one shouldn't expect he repeats his numbers in PL.

James: actually haven't watch him a lot. I saw in Youtube that he's deadly in the counter, but i don't know how he fares against teams that park the bus.

I'm not too happy. Fernandes is sort of a replacement for Pogba, in that he mainly attacks (atleast going by the stats posted on here before). We need to replace Herrerra, get a B2B with that energy an work-rate who can put in a defensive shift. Also, Maguire, not very happy with him, was never that impressed last season too, when we were linked with him, and haven't really changed my opinion through the season. He is an upgrade on Smalling and Jones, yes, but not better than Linddelof, honestly. I would rather a Ruben Dias, atleast he has the potential to grow.

While those four accurately address the positions we need, unsure about the personnel. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Fernandes here, but based on Ole's system, we need to replace Herrerra, and he isn't the replacement.
Yeah that’s why I said I would like a B2B/DM style CM come in. A CM diamond of Fernandes at the tip, Pogba and Fred with Partey at DM. Or Partey and Pogba with Matic DM. Would defo give us a lot of options even if you switched to a 4321 or 433.

I like Maguire think he would complement Lindelof very well. Not saying would be my first choice but definitely an upgrade on the chuckle brothers. I like Dias but from what I’ve seen and what a lot of Portuguese fans say is his ball playing is pretty bad. And isn’t all that great dealing with physical attackers. Interesting to see MU official app and twitter posting about TFM today in recovery/training saying ready for the pre season. He’s still young and could develop into a top DM imo.

Ndombele I don’t think we are in for him tbh or would be interested in coming if what his agent says is true about him wanting guaranteed CL footy next season.
That, and Lyon not wanting to sell him. IF he continues as he is for another season, they can get 100 Mn off him.

That, and Lyon not wanting to sell him. IF he continues as he is for another season, they can get 100 Mn off him.
For sure if he has another good season. Easily another 20-25m on top of what they could possibly sell for this Summer. Looks like they will look to sell other players first though.

Bruno Fernandes is going to be a huge player whoever signs him.

1) He solves 2 issues. Goals from midfield and fits Ole's system of high pressing.
2) He can play behind a striker, left or right in the midfield.
3) Improving constantly in tactical aspect. Extremely intelligent player, something United are missing since Scholes retired.
4) If Pogba starts dicking around, United will have ready replacement.
5) Wouldnt cost that much.

Its a no brainer signing, really is.

Would make a huge difference to our CM. Not only adding more creativity but his work rate and pressing are top class.
Yeah, he might not be most creative player, but still huge upgrade to everything United have bar Pogba.
Wingers would need to contribute more in creating and then things would be a lot better.

For sure if he has another good season. Easily another 20-25m on top of what they could possibly sell for this Summer. Looks like they will look to sell other players first though.

Tbf anyone who seem top 10 material is around that price.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think I want De Ligt.

Very talented young CB with cracking potential, but if he really sees us as a 2-3 year thing before Pique's position becomes available as many say, then what's the point? If we're only getting 2-3 years out of him before he gets his dream move (I don't want to hear "if he wins trophies here he'll stay", look at Ronaldo - we were top 2 teams in the world & dominating English football when he left for his dream move to Madrid), then we may as well just sign Toby for 25M! Or better still, Koulibaly, who we'll get a solid 5-6 peak years from.

All I'm saying is, if we're only going to get somewhere between 2-5 years from our next CB signing, then surely let them be peak years? Completely defeats the purpose of signing a young player. You sign a young player for him to become your Rio, Terry, Ramos, Puyol, etc. Lead the club for at least a decade. Not to hssssssssss the whole way to Catalonia the first sniff of a Barca guaranteed starting position.

Other reasons include:

- Not adding any more controversy to our current wage structure. Kouli or Toby would ask for significantly less.
- Not dealing with that little fat f*ck Raiola, who probably sees us as his 1st payday with De Ligt.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Very talented young CB with cracking potential, but if he really sees us as a 2-3 year thing before Pique's position becomes available as many say, then what's the point? If we're only getting 2-3 years out of him before he gets his dream move (I don't want to hear "if he wins trophies here he'll stay", look at Ronaldo - we were top 2 teams in the world & dominating English football when he left for his dream move to Madrid), then we may as well just sign Toby for 25M! Or better still, Koulibaly, who we'll get a solid 5-6 peak years from.

All I'm saying is, if we're only going to get somewhere between 2-5 years from our next CB signing, then surely let them be peak years? Completely defeats the purpose of signing a young player. You sign a young player for him to become your Rio, Terry, Ramos, Puyol, etc. Lead the club for at least a decade. Not to hssssssssss the whole way to Catalonia the first sniff of a Barca guaranteed starting position.

Other reasons include:

- Not adding any more controversy to our current wage structure. Kouli or Toby would ask for significantly less.
- Not dealing with that little fat f*ck Raiola, who probably sees us as his 1st payday with De Ligt.

Thoughts?
Yeah not keen on being seen as a steppingstone. But also a lot can change in 3-5 yrs so not sure. In 2 minds plus Riola isn’t his agent he’s just being used for this move as an intermediary. Would be happy with Maguire or Koulibaly. Not keen on Toby tbf his age puts me off plus there’s talk of Poch wanting him to stay now in Belgium press.

Yeah not keen on being seen as a steppingstone. But also a lot can change in 3-5 yrs so not sure. In 2 minds plus Riola isn’t his agent he’s just being used for this move as an intermediary. Would be happy with Maguire or Koulibaly. Not keen on Toby tbf his age puts me off plus there’s talk of Poch wanting him to stay now in Belgium press.
Honestly, wouldn't want Maguire. He's decent in a 3 CB system, not so much in a 2 CB system. Plus, he's an upgrade over Jones and Smalling, but isn't as impressive as the rest. Would be okay with any of Koulibaly, de Ligt or Alderweireld. Toby's age doesn't put me off, he is not on massive wages, hasn't had a horrible year and will bring some leadership into the defence. Either of the other two would be the dream, though.

Other reasons include:

Thoughts?

I totally agree with you. I'd prefer a more experienced player anyways. A leader like Koulibaly, Toby or Varane. De Ligt has amazing potential, but he's not there yet. We should've signed him after EL's final.

Back