The Manchester United Thread

Great sign by Barca, they needed Griezmann. But i'm impressed with Real Madrid rejuvenating their squad. Militao, Mendy, Jovic and Hazard without much drama.

Great sign by Barca, they needed Griezmann. But i'm impressed with Real Madrid rejuvenating their squad. Militao, Mendy, Jovic and Hazard without much drama.
Well not quick deals Hazard deal has taken ages to get through and Jovic has been a deal worked on since before January same goes for Millito. But good business non the less.

Another luxury attacker is just what that squad needed.
Eh, Griezmann makes sense for them. Suarez has been misfiring, and Dembele inconsistent. This will take some burden away from MEssi (if true). Besides, if they get de Ligt, they have already started rejuvenating both CM and CB (de Jong and de Ligt). If they give Semedo one more year, then I suspect the main piece of business they will look to do will be to bring in competition (and an heir) for Jordi Alba.

Later on, if you factor in players leaving (Malcom/Rakitic/Coutinho), they may decide to bring in someone else. But you have to suspect they will be done with these 3/4 players. It's a slower transition, while they will also look to bleed in some youngsters from their academy.

Chelsea at home first :)

Chelsea (H)
Wolves (A)
Crystal Palace (H)
Southampton (A)
Leicester (H)

Is our first 5 matches.

The guy who first broke the Dani James deal. Is saying AWB is very close, will be a world record fee for a FB.

Last edited:
Eh, Griezmann makes sense for them. Suarez has been misfiring, and Dembele inconsistent. This will take some burden away from MEssi (if true). Besides, if they get de Ligt, they have already started rejuvenating both CM and CB (de Jong and de Ligt). If they give Semedo one more year, then I suspect the main piece of business they will look to do will be to bring in competition (and an heir) for Jordi Alba.

Later on, if you factor in players leaving (Malcom/Rakitic/Coutinho), they may decide to bring in someone else. But you have to suspect they will be done with these 3/4 players. It's a slower transition, while they will also look to bleed in some youngsters from their academy.

How many top attackers do you want in your squad at the expense of everything else?

This isn't football manager of FIFA mate. (As much as people throw names around freely like it is.). Adding another vet. attacker, as top notch as he is, isn't fixing the multitude of other problems they have when they're trying to rebuild.

Chelsea at home first :)

Chelsea (H)
Wolves (A)
Crystal Palace (H)
Southampton (A)
Leicester (H)

Is our first 5 matches.

The guy who first broke the Dani James deal. Is saying AWB is very close, will be a world record fee for a FB.

That means precisely nothing though.

Another luxury attacker is just what that squad needed.

Don't get your point. Dembele is too inconsistent plus has injuries problems. Coutinho is on the way out. Suárez has no backup. No one showed up in UCL other than Messi.

Don't get your point. Dembele is too inconsistent plus has injuries problems. Coutinho is on the way out. Suárez has no backup. No one showed up in UCL other than Messi.

This. It's pretty obvious why they should get Griezmann.

View image on Twitter

Official: Manchester United’s 2019/20 Premier League fixtures. #mufc

The #MUFC fixtures that immediately follow their Europa League group stage matches appear to have fallen quite kindly: West Ham (a), Newcastle (a), Norwich (a), Brighton (h), Aston Villa (h), Everton (h)

Should #MUFC make it all the way in the Europa League, even their post-knockout matches look decent on paper: Watford (h), Everton (a), Tottenham (a), Sheffield United (h), Bournemouth (h), Aston Villa (a), Crystal Palace (a), West Ham (h)

Last edited:

Don't get your's either? Not least for all the players you listed and the 'presumption' they'll be giving up on Dembele and Coutinho so soon.

They are actively trying to sell coutinho for the right price. Dembele will backing up the flanks Instead.

How many top attackers do you want in your squad at the expense of everything else?

This isn't football manager of FIFA mate. (As much as people throw names around freely like it is.). Adding another vet. attacker, as top notch as he is, isn't fixing the multitude of other problems they have when they're trying to rebuild.
I know. Believe me, I'm the one who advocates the most against FIFA/FM changes. But they need Griezmann. Suarez is declining, and has not been present in the CL at all this season. Dembele on the left/right is extremely inconsistent. Malcom is not trusted/played by the manager. Coutinho has under-performed massively, so much so that the rest of the team are literally carrying him.

Assume they sell Coutinho/Malcom (which by all reports they want to). They will want one top class attacker to come in, who can play across positions, and who can score enough to reduce the burden on Messi, and give opposition defenders one more headache to mark. Griezmann literally ticks all those boxes. Plus, this means they can get Griezmann to lead the line eventually, along with MEssi (or Messi on the right).

They have other problems, yes, but they are on the way to fixing it. Attack is where they needed the most obvious quality addition. They already have the rebuild on with a young CM (de Jong), who, depending on the need, can play either the Xavi or the Biscuits role. Alena is coming through and they already have Arthur, not to mention Rakitic. CB, yes, especially if they get de Ligt. If not, you have to think they will persist with their current pairing to see if Umtiti can go a season uninjured. If so, reasonably solid there. An aging Pique, sure, but yeah, he can probably play at the top for another season.

Fullback is a concern. RB, you have to think that Semedo will get another season to impress. The main glaring hole seems to be at LB, where they need a very good rotation option for Alba. Otherwise, Barca seem sorted, reasonably atleast. Isn't as massive a rebuild as the likes of Madrid, Bayern or us are facing. Don't really see the fuss with Griezmann.

Don't get your's either? Not least for all the players you listed and the 'presumption' they'll be giving up on Dembele and Coutinho so soon.

Never said that they will give up on Dembele. As for Coutinho, he has a bad relationship with Barca's fans and there are a lot of reports saying they're trying to sell him.

They've fixed their biggest issue: Xavi 2.0, with Frenkie De Jong.

CB and attack and have equal standing

With an aggressive CM and full backs as next under. So it makes sense.

Think Barca do still need a runner profile in attack. Never really replaced Pedro's role yet. Alba's runs are probably the closest thing to it. Mbappe & Salah the obvious superstar attack inclusions of this mould, but Pepe is another hot property alternative who'd be at least half the price.

Griezmann is quality, and I think "luxury" is a very unfair tag given his insane work rate levels, but I do agree he doesn't scream "perfect fit" to me, unless he's completely replacing Suarez.

Think Barca do still need a runner profile in attack. Never really replaced Pedro's role yet. Alba's runs are probably the closest thing to it. Mbappe & Salah the obvious superstar attack inclusions of this mould, but Pepe is another hot property alternative who'd be at least half the price.

Griezmann is quality, and I think "luxury" is a very unfair tag given his insane work rate levels, but I do agree he doesn't scream "perfect fit" to me, unless he's completely replacing Suarez.

Luxury in terms of I don't personally agree with the need for Barcelona in context with everything else mate.

Fully with you on him being a top echelon player and what you posted on his 'perceived' attitude the other day.

Pepe, who'll probably go for more €50/60 million than the reported €71 M (that's just a starting point to bargain down from), would be a great addition to most any club's arsenal. Really like everything he brings. And he never misses game time which is another massive plus.

The fact that Suarez and Messi are both over 30 is absolutely why they are chasing him. Dembele has the time to evolve into that runner as he matures. But replacing the genius of those two is much harder (or impossible in Messi's case)

Back