The Manchester United Thread

Fantastic penalty save by Henderson to keep it at 0-0 :) another top save from Moussa Dembele. Henderson keeping England in this. Fantastic fingertip save that was too corner all the way fantastic!

Bad night for AWB after a good start. Got beat often. Gave away the ball leading to good chances. And then scored an own goal trying to clear the ball with his wrong foot. Offered nothing going forward except looking clumsy.

Last edited:
Good job AWB's value isn't determined from that performance. Palace would be lucky to get £6m for him never mind £60m lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Good job AWB's value isn't determined from that performance. Palace would be lucky to get £6m for him never mind £60m lol

Put Phil Jones gurn of a Face and you wouldn’t tell the difference lol. Sliced own goal with the wrong foot and the shot was a weak **** poor back heel. And Henderson called for it to lol. Maybe he’s been secretly training with us since the season finished.

Really hope Henderson gets a fair chance after DDG. Another good game from him. Some top saves

From Simon Peach at the PA:
#MUFC exploring an ambassadorial role for Juan Mata down the line - sounds like a kind of international relations position. Similar in some ways to that held by Emilio Butragueño at Real Madrid. Mata would certainly be a likeable, knowledgeable & respected figure

Apparently SSN reckons we are stepping up interest in Max Aarons who is an alternative to Wan-Bissaka. Tbh for the price Palace want I kind of don't think it's worth it, he's only had one good season after all and at 50m+ it's too risky for me.

How is 50M for someone who's pretty much guaranteed to be an elite level RB risky? I've seen this opinion a lot, and I'm bewildered by it. 50M in 2019 is not 50M in 2010. In my opinion, it's actually a fair price & potential bargain. TAA would go for 80-100M imo.

Also, Aarons makes zero sense. May as well stick with Dalot if that's the case, or sign an experienced RB. Only reason AWB made sense was because he's an upgrade.

AWB holding for Daniel James could be a very nice duo.

How is 50M for someone who's pretty much guaranteed to be an elite level RB risky? I've seen this opinion a lot, and I'm bewildered by it. 50M in 2019 is not 50M in 2010. In my opinion, it's actually a fair price & potential bargain. TAA would go for 80-100M imo.

Also, Aarons makes zero sense. May as well stick with Dalot if that's the case, or sign an experienced RB. Only reason AWB made sense was because he's an upgrade.

Totally agree. If you're going Aarons you might as well start Dalot. And then in that case get Meunier

TAA would go beyond 100 Mn. Consistent, both attack and defence and potential to be WC (if not near that level already). And so young, too.

Also, it's United. Even in today's day and age, I don't think we have spent more than 40 Mn on any defender. Still stuck in the old-school mentality of goals=money. I'm praying we don't low-ball on stupid things, and actually go out and get AwB. Before someone else comes in for him.

Maybe it will come but he doesn't have an attacking side to his game and how many times did we want that this season? More overlapping runs even from Shaw as well who tends to not maraud forward like he used to before leg break especially.

There are no guarantees he is going to be an elite RB come on Rhqqq... it's one good season with a Hodgson system that can usually make defenders look better due to the style of play. He did have a very good season, but it's too early to say how good he can be for me.... he recovers well but does go out of position sometimes.

I'm not really against it, I just don't really get it.... I mean you have potentially two very good RB's in Dalot and Laird, for me it was more about adding a player with a bit of experience like Munier who could fade away after a few seasons. By that time Dalot or even Laird will be established with regular spot.

Maybe it will come but he doesn't have an attacking side to his game and how many times did we want that this season? More overlapping runs even from Shaw as well who tends to not maraud forward like he used to before leg break especially.

There are no guarantees he is going to be an elite RB come on Rhqqq... it's one good season with a Hodgson system that can usually make defenders look better due to the style of play. He did have a very good season, but it's too early to say how good he can be for me.... he recovers well but does go out of position sometimes.

I'm not really against it, I just don't really get it.... I mean you have potentially two very good RB's in Dalot and Laird, for me it was more about adding a player with a bit of experience like Munier who could fade away after a few seasons. By that time Dalot or even Laird will be established with regular spot.

Did you read the article and links I put up. He's MILES ahead of those two.

He's also a not a defensive full back but an all round one, in a defensive side. His numbers will go up naturally too

Last edited:
TAA would go beyond 100 Mn. Consistent, both attack and defence and potential to be WC (if not near that level already). And so young, too. .....

The Swiss Football Observatory, who use some interesting metrics to do some real good research, value well arguably the best RB in World football currently (who's nowhere near reached his ceiling BTW. He's still prone to mistakes. Naturally. Given his age and the fact he's still developing/ learning the position) at €130 million FWIW. Which is what, around £115/116 million?

Weekly Post 265

Not that he's in any danger of ever leaving Anfield. (In all likelihood he'll be a one club career guy.). Nor do I personally put too much stock on the sub 100 million values are there's still very few transfers made around that figure or more. As much as valuations get freely banded around like that.

But there you go. CIES does at least provide an interesting tool for values if you're interested in that kind of research.

Last edited:
Did you read the article and links I put up. He's MILES ahead of those two.

He's also a not a defensive full back but an all round one, in a defensive side. His numbers will go up naturally too

No must of missed it I'll take a look, I'm just a bit worried because in the modern game an attacking fullback is very important to a system in creating space centrally and with the overlapping runs. I'm not really against it just wouldn't have been the way I personally would have gone.

- Our right flank looks **** because we have no RW. Daniel James or another RW signing (prays for Sancho) should solve that.

- His attacking side is solid & his shortcomings are massively exaggerated; he should elevate with better players. For example, he betters Andy Robertson at Hull in every offensive stat (dribbles, crosses, assists and opta expected assists, etc.) - and Andy went on to L'pool, guess what? Got better with better players/coaching/more expansive system and has like almost 20 assists in the last 2 seasons. If AWB gets half of that, with the wingers & attackers doing their job, I'd be happy.

- "Hodgson system" stands for **** all when you've destroyed every winger 1v1 in isolation - how does the system come into it when you're 1v1 against some of the world's most devastating wingers? Sané & co. are terrified of him, not the other way around.

- Shaw & Martial will do more damage once the pitch is stretched & our right wing exists, which again, comes with James/signing a RW occupying those spaces.

- Can we please stop being overly-sentimental to youth & Dalot? Because we haven't seen a guy cross a ball properly in ages, we act like Dalot's the second coming. He's been suspect defensively & maybe Ole just sees him more as a RM/utility player.

- ….

- Can we please stop being overly-sentimental to youth & Dalot? Because we haven't seen a guy cross a ball properly in ages, we act like Dalot's the second coming. He's been suspect defensively & maybe Ole just sees him more as a RM/utility player.
That's my thinking as well seeing as Ole was reluctant to play him in the RB role even when there were injuries.

If this was two years ago I would agree with ZZ re price. But figures have changed. As I was saying to scouse yesterday, yes the figures you're seeing everywhere at the minute are inflated. But these new figures are the new normal, sadly.

AWB is the best defensive fullback I have seen in world football for a long time, in an era were the defensive side of the game for defenders in general seems to have vanished. Plus he's all round game is pretty good in general he aint the best going forward but he aint total rubbish. To me he is already a world beater in his position as the quality of fullbacks in general is pretty low.

Back